Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking advice on questions to ask listing agent, listing price, commission rate, photo quality, resume, other listings, budget for advertising

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 PM

571 posts, read 1,049,863 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We will be meeting with our listing agent tomorrow evening and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share ideas regarding what exactly we should discuss with this person. Obviously we will discuss our listing price, the commission rate and how they intend to market our home, but what else would be a good idea to ask? I intend to be thorough, and after reading some of the posts here, I imagine that there are questions that could be asked that come from your experience. Thank you! The house goes on the market on Saturday! Arrrgghhhh! I'm already nervous!

Anita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Ask for some addresses for their current listings and then look at them online. Make sure the photos are good. Google the address and any internet ads will show up. This will give you an idea of who prolific their advertising is.

Ask to SEE what they do.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
I posted the other day how it is that sellers often tend to focus on the wrong things when choosing a Realtor. So many want to hear the price and then go into a fog when and if the Realtor starts talking about marketing.

You are entitled to know exactly what the Realtor is going to do to market your home and with what frequency.

As Silverfall mentioned, you want to see what the Agent's work looks like.
What are they going ot do to make a showing memorable.

You also want to tell the Realtor how you prefer to communicate and with what frequency.

Give some upfront thought to how much , if any, lead time you want for a showing and showing protocol.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 AM

151 posts, read 798,755 times
Find out if they will let you out of your contract if they are not doing what they promised to you while sitting at your kitchen table telling you how beautiful your house is.

Then get it in writing.

Sorry....not a great experience with our previous listing agent.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times
Sure ask them all about their marketing plans etc. etc. but how are you supposed to know whether all the things they do actually work or not? I could say I spend 10K/mo on magazine ads, newspaper ads, billboards, talking houses, text messaging houses, flyers etc, but what does that mean to selling your house? All of those things have very low success rates of actually selling your house but look great at a listing presentation.

What you should be asking is how many homes in my neighborhood or area have you sold in the past 6 months? Past results, I think, are the best way to predict future results. There is a service here in Central Florida that will look up this information for you, but I haven't seen it anywhere else yet.
Also ask to see if they have testimonials from past clients with phone numbers you can call.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:21 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Agent Questions

Name - __________________________________________________ __________________________________

Office Name __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Office Phone __________________________________________________ ______________________________

1) How many homes have you sold in my area? __________________________________________________ _
Do you cover other towns / zip codes? YES NO
Explain: __________________________________________________ _________________________________

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

2) How much is your commission? __________________________________________________ ___________

3) What percentage do you give a buyers agent if you do not bring a buyer in? __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

4) Is it negotiable if you bring a buyer? __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

5) What if I bring in a buyer with advertising I do? __________________________________________________

6) How long is the contract going to be? 3 months ____________ 6 months__________

7) If I am not happy for any reason will I be able to break the contract? YES_____ NO_____

8) How long will it take for the contract to be voided? _______________________________________________

9) What is the proceedure that needs to be followed if I am not happy? ________________________________

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

10) Where do you rank on the MLS? __________________________________________________ _________

11) Where do you rank on the office team? __________________________________________________ ____

12) Do you work with the military?______ Yes _______ No ___________

13) Are you or your office listed at base housing? ________Yes _______No__________

14) How long have you been in the business? __________________________________________________ __

*Note - if the agent is new, ask about their background....
Do they have marketing knowledge / training? __________________________________________________ _
Do they have web site training? __________________________________________________ _____________

15) Are you full time, part time, do you work another job? ___________________________________________

16) How many houses a year do you sell__________how many do you list______________________________

17) Do you do OPEN HOUSEs or AGENTs OPEN HOUSES / LUNCHEONs? YES / NO

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

18) If we have an open house, when should I expect feedback? ________________________________________

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

19) Will the feedback be a phone call or email? __________________________________________________ __

20) How often will you touch base with me to give me information about our listing?

21) Do you have your own web site, in addition to the agent link on the office web site? YES / NO

Web site URL __________________________________________________ _____________________________

22) How much of your business comes from the web site? ________________________%

23) Do you use email? YES ______ NO ________

24) Do you pay for enhanced listings with multiple pictures on Realtor.com? ____YES____ NO _______________

25) Do you do featured listings on realtor.com? YES / NO _____________________________________________

26) What kind of advertising do you do and where? __________________________________________________

27) Do you advertise in the newspaper? If so which ones? __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

28) Do you advertise price drops in the paper (Sunday only)? YES / NO

29) Do you advertise open houses in the paper (Friday – Sunday)? YES / NO

30) Do you use an info box? YES / NO

31) Do you have an assistant? YES / NO

32) If an assistant: who is the one I would be dealing with for questions, feedback and such?
Explain assistants role

33) If I need to speak with the listing agent for something, how is that handled?

34) When an offer comes in, who does the negotiating, the agent or the assistant?

35) How much would you list our house for? __________________________________________________ _____

36) Who takes your photos? __________________________________________________ __________________

May I preview the photo / info before it goes on the MLS to check for accuracy and to make sure the photos show my house at it's best? ____________________________________________

How long will it take to fix things like removal of bad photos and/or spelling errors? __________________________________________________ _________

37) Would you consider using a profession photographer for photos? YES / NO

38) Do you use virtual Tours? YES / NO

39) Do you use a stager? YES / NO

40) Do you feel there is something we can do to make the house more desirable to sell?

41) Anything else you would like me to know?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:28 PM

571 posts, read 1,049,863 times
Default Many thanks!

To all that have responded so far to this thread... thanks so much! The information provided has been very helpful, and when we meet with our listing agent later tonight I feel I will be prepared to gather the appropriate information...

I will be posting again as the house goes on the market this Saturday! I'm sure I will need the support that you have all given one another.

Anita

Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Roslver has some good questions and some bad questions on her list. Some of her questions could actually prevent you picking a good agent or at least hinder you from getting the best agent. Secondly, I wouldn't just sit down and get subjected to that because I want to be in control of the presentation. Anything I don't cover, ask away.

Here are the ones that really matter (and it's a small list).

1-Google the Realtor and see how many hits you get. Look at the web listings to see if they are done well.

2-Show me your marketing plan.

3-How many properties did you list last year?

4-How many of your listings sold last year?

5-What % did they sell for compared to asking price and what is the market average?

6-What was your average days on market compared to the market average?

Old 08-01-2008, 04:55 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Roslver has some good questions and some bad questions on her list. Some of her questions could actually prevent you picking a good agent or at least hinder you from getting the best agent. Secondly, I wouldn't just sit down and get subjected to that because I want to be in control of the presentation. Anything I don't cover, ask away.
Normally I don't just paste the questions list in without posting something, but did last night.

Usually I sit down with the agent(s) & talk. Just from talking, most everything gets filled in & what ever isn't you actually ask if it applies. This was a list of questions I made up then added to with people posting additions at another place I go to. It is to be used as a guide because some people don't know what to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Here are the ones that really matter (and it's a small list).

1-Google the Realtor and see how many hits you get. Look at the web listings to see if they are done well.

2-Show me your marketing plan.

3-How many properties did you list last year?

4-How many of your listings sold last year?

5-What % did they sell for compared to asking price and what is the market average?

6-What was your average days on market compared to the market average?
I'll see about adding them into the list.
IMO, the most important questions for a seller are canceling the contract if you aren't happy, the advertising & photos. If you follow posts, most sellers are unhappy due to one of these things.

The googling would be how to find the agent to interview, I have tips for that in my head, never wrote them down. I only interviewed agents that had a big web presence, and after learning my lesson with a non local agent, made sure agent 2 was local.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:03 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Normally I don't just paste the questions list in without posting something, but did last night.

Usually I sit down with the agent(s) & talk. Just from talking, most everything gets filled in & what ever isn't you actually ask if it applies. This was a list of questions I made up then added to with people posting additions at another place I go to. It is to be used as a guide because some people don't know what to ask.

I'll see about adding them into the list.
IMO, the most important questions for a seller are canceling the contract if you aren't happy, the advertising & photos. If you follow posts, most sellers are unhappy due to one of these things.

The googling would be how to find the agent to interview, I have tips for that in my head, never wrote them down. I only interviewed agents that had a big web presence, and after learning my lesson with a non local agent, made sure agent 2 was local.
The questions that I posted tell you 1-how good the marketing is, 2-how good a negotiator the agent is 3-Local market knowledge 4-Agent productivity

The other thing that you have to find out after the fact is how good the agent is at follow up and communication. If you asked the right questions that shouldn't be as important because it's likely your home will sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate