Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 PM

27,203 posts, read 46,518,781 times

Advertisements

As far as I know 100% of the home owners have to approve to get it changed which is very hard to get. I also heard the same for get it gated as some home owners want but I'm against it in my community although I also bought in a gated community. Roads are going to be public and the HOA due will be higher, and we don't have much more issues as in the one that is gated. Gates get broken or people are driven against it.....so they had to install camera's, which cost money, etc.....

Did you really speak with the president or was it your LL who told you about this? Maybe the president had already issues with your LL before and this was just too much....and not mend against you.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 PM

15,490 posts, read 40,178,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
I'm curious: has a neighborhood ever turned HOA after the fact? Several of us have said something to the effect of: If you don't like a particular HOA, don't move into that neighborhood. Or, if you don't like the whole concept of HOAs, don't buy in a neighborhood that has one.

However, have there been instances when an existing, established neighborhood turns HOA (majority rules sort of thing, against some of the homeowners' wishes)?

Another quick point: in my opinion, asking about HOAs is as natural as asking about square footage or who pays for utilities. It's one of those up-front questions we always ask. I suppose if you've never been exposed to one, it probably wouldn't dawn on you to ask. But for those who are aware of HOAs, I wouldn't wait for a Realtor or Lessor to bring the subject up.
If there are no CC&R's, then neighbors would have to agree to form one. Only homes that agreed would be part of the HOA.

If there are CC&R's then it is usually addressed in there.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:11 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Did you really speak with the president or was it your LL who told you about this? Maybe the president had already issues with your LL before and this was just too much....and not mend against you.
I spoke to the president about a month ago. He was walking by, introduced himself and said he would get me a copy of the rules. He didn't bother to speak to me about the storage bin, which was unloaded and removed just last week.

As for any previous issues with my LL, I don't know of any.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM

13 posts, read 37,393 times
We own a house in a HOA community and think they're all idiots. However, my dad has an HOA in his neighborhood, and he claims they're great. I was astounded. A GREAT HOA?! Um, a few too many beers, Dad? So, he tells me their rules- he actually has them memorized! No fencing in the front yard. No pigs, chickens, or goats, and a maximum of two horses per lot. That's it. So, moral of story= not all HOA's are horrid- just most.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:31 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
And that is the problem, the forcing of poeple having to take part in an HOA just to have a roof over their heads.

No one should have the right to tell you what to do with your own property outside the elected government, in which an HOA is not the government.
No one is ever forced to take part in a HOA.

If you do not want to be part of it you do not move there. It is pretty simple.

You mantion the right to do with your property what you want. Well the original owner of the property chose to put legal restrictions upon future buyers of this property. The buyer agrees to abide by the rules when they purchase.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Correct, the right to restrict themselves, not others who do not wish to be. The developer has all the rights in the world to do as they please up to the point they no longer own the land, how would you like to buy a house from someone and the former owners still tell you what you can do with it? You probably would not like it and that is the same poitn with the developers, once they sell the property that should be that, there should not be allowed any rules or laws past federal, state and local that property owners have to abide by.

Actually a former owner can place restrictions on a property they sell just as long as those restrictions are not illegal. Thus you are being told what you can and can not do with the property even though it is yours.

Nice excuse, almost the same as telling a black person if they don't like the discrimination then they can move. A person should not have to poke around and investigate in this "free" country for a place to live to enjoy property rights.

Nothing at all like it.

And who is "their" rules? Again, I see no basis on how an HOA can exercise authority over anothers property.

The original owners set the rules. You don't like the rules, don't buy.
filler...

Old 08-04-2008, 11:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,434,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

If you do not want to be part of it you do not move there. It is pretty simple.
Oh there's that nasty concept again, freedom of choice.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,487,967 times
Um - people's use of land has been restricted FOREVER!! Used to be cities and townships (zoning, nusiance ordinances) - but as they have found it more and more difficult to keep up with inspections, HOA's have become more popular.

Ours is pretty basic (still developer controlled). Fence, Shed, and no chickens.

Of course it could go insane when turned over to the homeowners, (Some are already rarin' to go).. but by then we'll have gotten our shed and fence, and won't care.

Also, ours has a provision that after 20 years a 3/4 majority of the neighborhood can vote to disband the HOA. Anotherwords the developer just cares that the neighborhood standards be kept up initially (while it reflects on their reputation). If after 20 years we want to disband it and all start keeping chickens, we can vote on it and do so!

YAY CHICKENS!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 AM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
Racially Restrictive Covenants and Mexican Americans

I think things need to be taken further to protect rights such as property rights...entirely end all restrictive covenants/etc.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,434,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Um - people's use of land has been restricted FOREVER!! Used to be cities and townships (zoning, nusiance ordinances) - but as they have found it more and more difficult to keep up with inspections, HOA's have become more popular.

YAY CHICKENS!
Good points and ya gotta love those chickens.

Municipal governments tend to love, love , love HOAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate