Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 PM

315 posts, read 349,472 times

Advertisements

Brandon,

I really think you have a problem. You seem angry at people that want or have educates themselves as to their local markets. I have done my homework. I dont just pull 'opinions' out of my bottom. I and other locals watch and study the market and make our decisions of buy or not buy based on that. Do you really believe this is going to be some sort of a V shaped recovery for MY AREA? no way. Here is a LOCAL website I contribute to. The numbers are pulled from dataquick and other credible solid sources. Not out our bums as you would want the public to believe.
Riverside and San Bernardino real estate blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:53 PM

'I'm not a doom and gloomer like yourself but I also don't try to pawn my opinions off as absolute fact.'

First, I prefer to be called a realist. Why the namme calling? Show me where I have said my opinions are absolute facts? I have only said repeatedly IN MY AREAS the facts (current inventory, sharply declining values, etc) are not good. Now if I would have said ALL RE ACROSS THE NATION IS IN THE SAME NOSE DIVE then I would see why you would have an issue. You have issues.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:58 PM

'I'm done with the troll. I suggest the same for everyone else.'

Again, why the name calling Brandon? Anger management might be in order. You seem to have a problem with other's point of views. This is an exchange is it not?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanawan View Post
You guys totally fell hard for that troll. I saw it after his second or third post. Anyway, I'm sort of disgusted by this whole buy-and-bail thing. On the one hand I completely understand the disappointment you've got to feel about being able to buy your same house for 1/3 of the cost and the fact that prices will likely never recover in some areas.

On the other hand, stuff drops in price all the time.

I'm typing this post on my MacBook Pro. It's only a year old, but I'd be lucky to get 2/3 of what I paid for it (and if it were a Dell, 1/2 ). Sitting next to me is my iPhone. Stood in line on 6/29/07 to get it. I paid $599 for it. 2 months later, the price was dropped to $399. Whatcha gonna do? Suck it up. You bought at the wrong time. You win some, you lose some.

If the mortgage is too much of a burden, see if you can do a short sale or something but don't just walk. It's a life lesson to your kids, if nothing else. Believe me, they'll take pride in being able to say "my dad did the right thing" when all is said and done about this era in our country. They'll hang their heads in shame forever if they've got to move because you decided to walk.
It may make you kids feel good but it is also irrational. If you are down to 33% of what you owe you walk under the best terms you can get. And if you can buy the house next door and move - go for it. This whole idea that one should maximize a devasting economic blow so your kids feel good has to come out of some sort of koolaid bottle.

If you have lost your mind hang in there and make your kids feel good at the cost of the families economic well being.

How can you guys really suggest such totally unhealthy behavior?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:15 PM

So Brandon and others. The person above says walking away may work FOR SOME families. Is that person an immoral troll too?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bottom Rider View Post
So Brandon and others. The person above says walking away may work FOR SOME families. Is that person an immoral troll too?

Immoral and troll are entirely different concepts. Don't confuse them.

mod note:

Ummm, I’m the one who suggested the OP to transfer his inquiry to the Real Estate Forum from the local Vancouver Washington forum because I thought he’d get better responses from the professionals who frequent this forum rather than opinions from those in the local forum. I also didn’t think it was necessarily an issue that was exclusively a local one.

However, he’s not getting any benefit if all this thread is turning out to be is bickering between participants.

Please get back to specifically answering and discussing the OP’s inquiry. People may have different opinions but let’s not attack each other here on the board. DM or use profile Visitor Messages for personal issues, please. Thanks, cooperation by all is appreciated.

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-04-2008 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: general thread annoucement directed toward all participants.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:31 PM

Well they all condemned me as immoral for even bringing up the topic about walking away and buy/bail. And since they didnt like how I tried to explain how walking away could work for some, they labeled me a troll.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:37 PM

426 posts, read 1,455,220 times
Let's be clear - I never suggested that walking under any circumstances is immoral. But this thread isn't about walking generally, it's about walking under the OP's circumstances. If you're still able to pay, you need to hang in there. He said he could, but was thinking about walking because it's mostly inconvenient to him. If his wife suddenly had triplets and he couldn't afford it anymore, it'd be a different story.

And I called you a troll because you were clearly baiting people by making outlandish suggestions. It's ridiculous to cry foul when that was clearly your intent.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Immoral and troll are entirely different concepts. Don't confuse them.

mod note:

Ummm, I’m the one who suggested the OP to transfer his inquiry to the Real Estate Forum from the local Vancouver Washington forum because I thought he’d get better responses from the professionals who frequent this forum rather than opinions from those in the local forum. I also didn’t think it was necessarily an issue that was exclusively a local one.

However, he’s not getting any benefit if all this thread is turning out to be is bickering between participants.

Please get back to specifically answering and discussing the OP’s inquiry. People may have different opinions but let’s not attack each other here on the board. DM or use profile Visitor Messages for personal issues, please. Thanks, cooperation by all is appreciated.
This is a well worked subject. When you move it here you will get several well set positions. You would likely have been better off suggesting your OP search this list for views. It is all here.

I try to keep the trolling issue and morality issue separate. They do not go together. Anyone using bottom feeder or bottom rider and combined with So. Cal is immediately suspected of being a troll. Comes with the name.

Note that the morality is actually the primary issue. At least on these lists. I think it a hopeless debate for that reason.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanawan View Post
Let's be clear - I never suggested that walking under any circumstances is immoral. But this thread isn't about walking generally, it's about walking under the OP's circumstances. If you're still able to pay, you need to hang in there. He said he could, but was thinking about walking because it's mostly inconvenient to him. If his wife suddenly had triplets and he couldn't afford it anymore, it'd be a different story.

And I called you a troll because you were clearly baiting people by making outlandish suggestions. It's ridiculous to cry foul when that was clearly your intent.

I would counter that the ability to make the payment is actually irrelevant.

It is simply an economic decision.

You may well counter that a contract once entered must be observed. I would simply observe you don't understand contracts.

When you mix morality into contracts you end up with an indigestible porridge. These are business arrangements not oaths to your God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate