Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,155 times

Advertisements

I have a house valued at $280,000 and wish to sell to my daughter and her fiance. He is a vet and has qualified for a $212,000 loan. He will sign note, and both will sign DOT and be on title. I would like to create a second for the difference. I realize he has qualified for monthly payments, etc. based on the $212,000 first, and I am willing to comply with whatever is needed for the second, including the requirement that it be assumable. I don't just want to sell [him] the house for $212,000, but I want to protect myself in the future. If the second is made after closing, it will not be a purchase money instrument and could become an unsecured debt if the first foreclosed. Is it possible to do a simultaneous first and second if the terms of my second don't require higher paments? For example, balloon, no payments for a period of time, etc. I do not intend to use any collection procedure if they were to walk away in the future, but I don't want to loose my money if something happens in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 01:22 PM

15,531 posts, read 40,294,339 times
VA has to approve the second. If he is only approved for $212,000 you will have to convince them that he can make payment on their loan and your future payments. This is a question for the VA underwriter.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:30 AM

23 posts, read 95,482 times
If it were my daughter, I would sell the home for lower than the appraised value. You do not appear to be paying commission (+/-6%) or any selling concessions. I am not sure where your property is located, if it is not in a declining market then you are very lucky. If you are in a declining market, your appraisal is probably out dated.

I have carried a 2nd TD on a VA purchase during the last R/E market downturn (mid 90s).
The borrower got into trouble. They continued to pay on the 2nd and were not paying on the 1st TD. I found out about this and filed a NOD (notice of default.) The borrower then attempted to obtain a forebearance with VA and re-write the terms of the 1st TD which effectively eliminated my equity position. I was able to convince them to grant the property back to me, as they had no way of paying the re-worked mortgage and save his VA eligability for a later day. It worked out in the end, I got the house back, he moved into a rental.

By the way, If the 1st is foreclosed, your 2nd is unsecured unless you step up and take the 1st over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate