U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:18 PM

9 posts, read 13,848 times
Unhappy Need help with rude realtor!

Hello everyone!

I am hoping someone here is able to help me. I am currently living as a caretaker at my grandpa's house while it is on the market. It is owned equally by my mom and her three other siblings.

The realtor selling the house is best described by one of my uncles as a "bulldog." He believes her aggressive tactics are our best bet at selling the house.

Since moving in at the end of last month there has been 1 open house and 20 showings. I have said no to only three requests for showings. One of these requests was for an 10:30 AM showing that same day and this was at 9:00 AM. I tried to work with her and said I could do 11:00 or 11:15 AM that same day, which she did not accept.

Each time I have been unable to accomodate a showing she pressures me heavily and refuses to work with me to find a more acceptable time. For example, this week she insisted on a 9:45 AM showing Monday morning. This is the only morning next week that time does not work for me and I told her any other morning Tuesday through next Sunday it would be acceptable. She kept pushing the time and my family eventually had to intercede.

Before moving into my grandpa's I was living in an in-law apartment of another home on the market. The requests I recieved for showings were always optional and I was never pressured to say yes to a certain time. I worked together with the realtor to find times that worked for both me and her. She was both pleasant and accomodating.

First question: Is the behavior of the realtor selling my grandpa's unethical or unprofessional?

Second question: What can I do about this?

I do not enjoy arguing with her and feeling like I can't say no! It stresses me out and with school starting soon I will have to say no more often.

Any advice is greatly welcome!!!

Thanks in advance,

AmselJoey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 05:40 PM

17,181 posts, read 15,232,467 times
You are basically a tenant in the house and tenants usually have less motivation to get the house sold. If possible you always want to accommodate an agent who wants to show the house. We work around our buyers schedules not yours or ours.

I have a feeling if this was your home you were selling you would find a way to make it happen. Your agent may be brusk, pushy but not unethical. She's paid to get people in the door and it's always tough when sellers turn down showings.

Many homes we list we have a 1 hour notice requirement. That's usually enough time to get the house picked up & get out the door.

Last edited by Rakin; 08-10-2008 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-10-2008, 05:50 PM

1,381 posts, read 3,453,673 times
Showings can be stressful. Short notice is really uncalled for, I schedule most of my showings a day in advance. Occasionally there are time constraints on a buyer, like they are out of town and just happen to notice a property listing and want to view it prior to leaving. That should be the exception not the rule.

On one hand be happy that your grandpa's house is getting shown, on the other hand 20 showings without an offer tells me there is a problem. You might want to know if the showings are to buyers or to sellers looking at the competition. Who's getting the buyer feed back?

You need to accommodate showings to sell a house. You should be able to expect at least a two hour notice.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:02 PM

9 posts, read 13,848 times
I have been accomodating showings as much as possible. The three I mentioned not being able to do were at an extreme inconvenience to myself. Conversely, there have been numerous times I went to great lengths to allow showings to proceed.

A little more information: my grandpa's house was officially appraised at around $180,000 earlier this summer when my parents were interested in buying it. It is currently listed at $209,900. It is an 800 square foot ranch on a nice property in a residential neighborhood, but is in serious need of repairs. For example: outside paint is peeling, it needs new windows, the appliances are old, an attachment to the garage needs to be knocked down because of termites, and none of the rooms have doors except for the bathroom. My dad is an architect and one of my uncles is a contractor and both have confirmed this. My uncle has already had to fix various problems with the plumbing.

This woman insists the house will sell by September and at the price mentioned. I and other family members are skeptical. I am no expert, but I feel in a buyer's market and with the economy in its current state it is unlikely a potential buyer would want to spend that much money on a house that is falling-apart and then sink more money into it to fix it up. Especially when I have seen other nicer and also recently furnished houses listed around the same price in the same area. But that is just my two cents and, again, no expert.

AmselJoey

Old 08-10-2008, 06:15 PM

Default Fix the house not the Realtor

Stop showing the house - fix the place up - put it back on the market.

I don't know where you are but in my neck of the woods you could get a new 3-2-2 for the 200k your asking for what sounds like a major fixer upper.

If the house spells w-o-r-k most people will walk unless it's priced below appraised value.

Last edited by FLBob; 08-10-2008 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: needed a title

Old 08-10-2008, 06:24 PM

3,191 posts, read 5,338,361 times
Maybe the 4 siblings could bluntly remind the agent she is working for them, and that she must realize that although it would be great to show the house 24/7 round the clock, that occaisionally the desired appt. will not work and she should accept that and urge flexibility with showing appts. And that maybe in order to facilitate a quicker sale, the price should be more inline with updated comps, which she needs to review ASAP.
Is she more interested in selling the property for the clients or making a higher commission?

Old 08-10-2008, 06:49 PM

17,271 posts, read 12,437,907 times
Default A Different Slant

This agent was hired by the family to get grandpa's house sold.

Most sellers in the U.S. would kill to have had 20 showings, since the end of July.

Buyers want to see homes when it's convenient for them. Anything after 9:00 AM is considered normal.

There is nothing unethical or unprofessional about your agent's behavior. She is doing the job she was hired by your relatives, to do.

It sounds as though you are more interested in proving this agent wrong and perhaps entending your caretaking, than seeing it get sold.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,029,618 times
I don't think the realtor is being rude. I think everyone tries to revolve their schedule around the potential buyer's schedule. Isn't that what a business owner would do for a customer? They do whatever they can to please the customer and make it as easy for the customer.

I know when I was looking at houses, there were only certain times I could go. I work specific hours, have meetings at certain times and appointments. If I could only go at 10 that day and I couldn't the whole week then I would understand why the realtor would want you out of the house. After all maybe I would be the one to put an offer at that specific day and time. The realtor doesn't want to lose out on a potential sale.

And if you are starting school later, I don't see why would you have to turn down even more showings. That would mean you would be out of the house more of the time.

Sorry if this is harsh, but I think you are being a little selfish.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:12 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,029,618 times
This actually brings me to a question, have you had sellers turn down showings? Does it happen often? If so what are the reasons?

Old 08-10-2008, 07:23 PM

Default It happens more often than you would think

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
This actually brings me to a question, have you had sellers turn down showings? Does it happen often? If so what are the reasons?
I hate to say that frequently sellers do refuse to show their home if it is inconvenient.
3 most common reasons
  • Guests from out of town
  • Someone is ill
  • Work is being done on the house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate