Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:44 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times

Advertisements

On another thread there was discussion about seller's being present during a home inspection. I thought I would share this funny story.

I show up to a house for the inspection and was greeted by a very nice elderly lady. I explain who I am, and that I'm going to be inspecting her house, and I'm going to be there a few hours. She says OK. I tell her I am going to be going in and out several times, and ask if she has any animals that I need to be aware of. "No"

I set up my computer and some tools in the kitchen and start doing my thing. At some point I go out into the garage. Now keep in mind, as an experienced inspector, whenever I go out a door, I always check to make sure it is unlocked, so I can get back in. IT'S A HABIT.

I finish the garage and go to the door to the house, and it's locked. I knock a few times - no answer. OK, so I go around to the front door, and ring the bell. She comes to the door, and looks at me like she has never seen me before. I explain that I'm not finished yet.

I do a little more of the inside of the house, go out onto the patio, spend about 5 minutes there, turn to go back inside, AND THE DOOR IS LOCKED. I walk around to the front of the house, ring the bell again, and we go through the same thing again.

I probably had to ring the doorbell 5 or 6 times that day. Each time, she greeted me like she had never seen me before.

I would turn down the air conditioner a few degrees so I could check the operation, and she would go after me and turn it off. When I was running water in two bathrooms at the same time, she would turn off the water in the bathroom I wasn't in.

Bless her heart, I'm not sure if she was slightly senile, or just diabolical. The really odd thing is, she was never around me, yet as soon as I went outside, she was, BAM, at the door locking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 11:01 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,882 times
i don't care who you are.....that is funny

Old 08-11-2008, 12:43 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,702 times
Very funny.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:50 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
My grandma would've been about like that later on. Not altzheimers but plain old dementia from years of semi-retirement and a lack of keeping the mind active.

My fiance and I are sort of like that sometimes. She'll go to the office and turn the fan on, then go to the bathroom. While she's in there I'll walk by, see the fan on (not knowing she's in the bathroom or coming right back) and turn it off. She comes back to the office a minute later and wonders what's going on.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:16 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Are you sure she was human? Sounds like some kind of ghostly prank! LOL

Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Oh, that's hilarious!!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:04 AM

151 posts, read 798,814 times
Very "Groundhog Day" !! Too funny!

I was waiting for the puchline to be something like you were in the wrong house to begin with!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:11 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
:0

if I ever need a house inspected near Spider, guess who I will call?!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Funny.

Just curious, who ordered/paid for the inspection?

Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Default Who ordered inspection

This was also interesting. It was the owner of one of the largest construction companies in Knoxville. He had his Secretary call me and ask if I would stop by his office because he wanted to interview me before he chose an inspector.

I met him and he told me he had contacted 4 inspectors in Knoxville, and I was several hundred dollars higher than any of the rest. Before I could answer, he also said that he wasn't asking me to lower my price, he just wanted to know why I was higher.

Apparently my answers were satisfactory, because he hired me. He didn't attend the inspection because, I guess he was too busy running his business, and felt that I would do an OK job for him.

The Realtor didn't show up because he knew the seller would be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate