Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Q: How on earth can you (or anyone else) claim a shred of credibility regarding real estate agency topics if you cannot answer the last 2 questions in this post accurately?

A: You cannot.

I don't take them as rhetorical questions. Were they?
He claimed that it's easy to access the MLS, but didn't answer the question as to how it is easy. And why would us agents be paying all that money for access?

I assume he's talking about direct MLS access; not through an agent portal. Heck if it were so "easy" to get MLS access then why would people use Z, T or R?

It seems his agenda is to through garbage out there but not be willing to support his statements with facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 03:34 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
If ...

By the way, who came up with the buyer agent idea? Was it a buyer or was it someone profiting from the sale of home?
Quote:
Q: How on earth can you (or anyone else) claim a shred of credibility regarding real estate agency topics if you cannot answer the last 2 questions in this post accurately?

A: You cannot.

I don't take them as rhetorical questions. Were they?
Those two questions in bold, Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
He claimed that it's easy to access the MLS, but didn't answer the question as to how it is easy. And why would us agents be paying all that money for access?

I assume he's talking about direct MLS access; not through an agent portal. Heck if it were so "easy" to get MLS access then why would people use Z, T or R?

It seems his agenda is to through garbage out there but not be willing to support his statements with facts.
No argument here.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 PM

497 posts, read 696,396 times
Disclaimer - I haven't read all 18 pages, so if this question has been answered already, please forgive me.

I am considering buying a property without an agent. There are many reasons for this decision, but I was curious to know what value an agent provides especially in a non-disclosure state like Texas.

I know the area where I want to live VERY well. I also know what similar properties have been listed for and how quickly they have sold. I have already viewed the property and know that I want it.

I will hire a RE attorney, but why should I bring in an agent at this point? BTW, I have a family member who is a RE investor who has agreed to provide guidance during the process.

So, will an agent benefit me at this point? Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:01 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Those two questions in bold, Bill.

No argument here.

Real simple. I don't claim credibility nor do I ask for anyone to believe anything I post, all I ask is that they think about the ideas instead of accepting the status quo as maintained by those who extract profit and value from the home selling/buying process.

When people start to think about things instead of accepting the comments from those who like things the way they are because it benefits them, things change. Are they changing? You bet! More and more buyers aren't using buyer agents in the traditional sense (if there is one) and more and more sellers are also figuring out that they can avoid the value and profit extraction process as it is set up.

Anyone commenting on a forum and asking for credibility ought to rethink things a little. It isn't what you think you are it is what you comment or post and then let others decide for themselves.

You don't get to decide credibility, you can't even question it. People can make up their own minds, all they have to do is read and think about the ideas and concepts. If they don't like them, so what, who cares? Some though, will relook at the status quo and challenge things. Things like the seller/seller agent or listing agent paying a buyer agent and then a buyer expecting to have their best interests represented. If there wasn't so much money and the purchase so important to most people it would be one of the funniest things you'd ever hear about.

Lost of people are tired of the Realtor/ Real Estate Agent lock on information. First, it isn't their information, they don't own it. It comes from others and often from public sources that everyone pays for.

Why do most mis-communication issues in the house selling/buying process happen? Since sellers stopped talking to buyers and vice versa with the advent of the conventional transaction process of recent time, it is caused by Realtors and agents. That too is changing and more and more sellers are talking to buyers. The precentages of buyers using buyer agents is going down, not up. People are getting smarter about all this.

Credibility? Where was all the credibility during the last housing market fiasco? Weren't there seller and buyer agents on the ends of the process, supposedly making sure that the seller and buyers best interests were first and foremost in importance? What happened? How did it happen? All those people bought houses at prices that weren't sustainable by themselves without agents and Realtors making sure things went through? Just where were all those ethics? Banks got blamed, mortgage brokers got blamed, buyers got blamed, lenders got blamed. Everyone got blamed except you know who, realtors and real estate agents. Somehow, even though they were supposed to exercise all that fiduciary duty, so many bad tings happened. How was that possible?

Can anyone count the number of realtors and real estate agents that were out there cautioning people that the rapidly rising housing prices were a deck of cards? Please, stand up and be counted. The real estate professional industry was complicit in that mess and not once acknowledged their role in it?

Disclosure: I wasn't affected by that housing market mess, I had no horse in the race. I did however, witness real estate industry professional actively promoting buying activities that contributed in a large part to the mess. It was always a good time to buy. Tell that to the millions of people who listened to buyer's agents many who were/are Realtors. Yes, lets talk about shreds of credibility.

No one is saying all Realtors or all real estate agents are less than honest, ethical or anything like that but I do say that the real estate professional industry needs to be overhauled to work better and with far less self serving interests. Until that happens, the mess of the past will come around again. Bet on it.

But don't take my words for it, just think about it yourself. Of course if you make your money from the house sale transaction, you like things the way they are. That is expected.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Real simple. I don't claim credibility nor do I ask for anyone to believe anything I post, all I ask is that they think about the ideas instead of accepting the status quo as maintained by those who extract profit and value from the home selling/buying process.

When people start to think about things instead of accepting the comments from those who like things the way they are because it benefits them, things change. Are they changing? You bet! More and more buyers aren't using buyer agents in the traditional sense (if there is one) and more and more sellers are also figuring out that they can avoid the value and profit extraction process as it is set up.

Anyone commenting on a forum and asking for credibility ought to rethink things a little. It isn't what you think you are it is what you comment or post and then let others decide for themselves.

You don't get to decide credibility, you can't even question it. People can make up their own minds, all they have to do is read and think about the ideas and concepts. If they don't like them, so what, who cares? Some though, will relook at the status quo and challenge things. Things like the seller/seller agent or listing agent paying a buyer agent and then a buyer expecting to have their best interests represented. If there wasn't so much money and the purchase so important to most people it would be one of the funniest things you'd ever hear about.

Lost of people are tired of the Realtor/ Real Estate Agent lock on information. First, it isn't their information, they don't own it. It comes from others and often from public sources that everyone pays for.

Why do most mis-communication issues in the house selling/buying process happen? Since sellers stopped talking to buyers and vice versa with the advent of the conventional transaction process of recent time, it is caused by Realtors and agents. That too is changing and more and more sellers are talking to buyers. The precentages of buyers using buyer agents is going down, not up. People are getting smarter about all this.

Credibility? Where was all the credibility during the last housing market fiasco? Weren't there seller and buyer agents on the ends of the process, supposedly making sure that the seller and buyers best interests were first and foremost in importance? What happened? How did it happen? All those people bought houses at prices that weren't sustainable by themselves without agents and Realtors making sure things went through? Just where were all those ethics? Banks got blamed, mortgage brokers got blamed, buyers got blamed, lenders got blamed. Everyone got blamed except you know who, realtors and real estate agents. Somehow, even though they were supposed to exercise all that fiduciary duty, so many bad tings happened. How was that possible?

Can anyone count the number of realtors and real estate agents that were out there cautioning people that the rapidly rising housing prices were a deck of cards? Please, stand up and be counted. The real estate professional industry was complicit in that mess and not once acknowledged their role in it?

Disclosure: I wasn't affected by that housing market mess, I had no horse in the race. I did however, witness real estate industry professional actively promoting buying activities that contributed in a large part to the mess. It was always a good time to buy. Tell that to the millions of people who listened to buyer's agents many who were/are Realtors. Yes, lets talk about shreds of credibility.

No one is saying all Realtors or all real estate agents are less than honest, ethical or anything like that but I do say that the real estate professional industry needs to be overhauled to work better and with far less self serving interests. Until that happens, the mess of the past will come around again. Bet on it.

But don't take my words for it, just think about it yourself. Of course if you make your money from the house sale transaction, you like things the way they are. That is expected.
Declining striving for credibility is an interesting strategy for sliding BS through.

So, you cannot answer your questions, or were they rhetorical?

Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Disclaimer - I haven't read all 18 pages, so if this question has been answered already, please forgive me.

I am considering buying a property without an agent. There are many reasons for this decision, but I was curious to know what value an agent provides especially in a non-disclosure state like Texas.

I know the area where I want to live VERY well. I also know what similar properties have been listed for and how quickly they have sold. I have already viewed the property and know that I want it.

I will hire a RE attorney, but why should I bring in an agent at this point? BTW, I have a family member who is a RE investor who has agreed to provide guidance during the process.

You should interview a few agents and see what they propose as their value.

And if you don't want an agent, don't use an agent.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:45 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
The NAR does not have a way to locate a FSBO transaction in Texas. A deed is simply filed with the County Clerk..nothing else...half the deeds say for consideration of $1.00. That survey could not possibly accumulate the data from the 254 counties in Texas and sift through just for deeds and then go back and look for the buyers/sellers and contact them.
This is a sample. It isn't everyone that sold their home in the US. Sampling has long been used in statistical surveys. Even Nate Silver uses sampling.

They send the sample out based on recordings of deeds. They don't use county records for the survey other than to gather name of people that were listed on a deed that changed hands in the year of the survey. It doesn't matter that is says $1.00. You are grossly underestimating the power of the title insurance company databases. Fidelity's database is national for example. I can look up all sorts of things in that database and I can buy lists from them based on tons of different criteria, for all over the country. I have no need to look up data in NJ but I can.

The NAR doesn't filter out who gets the survey. They randomly pull a sample of people to receive the survey. If Texas doesn't allow anyone to see that a deed transfer happened, then clearly no one would get a survey in Texas. I find that hard to believe though since moving companies, et al are all over sending things out when a title transfer happens.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:47 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:

I am actually a proponent of using a buyer agent, just not the way most in the industry want it.

A good buyer agent (really good) has access to lots of resources that could take you a lot of time to run down. They will also help keep the escrow process going according to schedule, making sure that you don't lag on time-frames and things like that.

One other things, agents like to talk to agents and spend a lot of effort to make sure sellers and buyers rarely get to speak directly to each other. If the seller is represented, sometimes it can make getting information easier.

When you write that offer, a buyer agent can help make sure you didn't forget something and that your offer sets you up for a higher change of success.

When it comes to a counter offer or negotiating, a good buyer agent can be worth their weight in gold, so long as they aren't being paid by the seller. If they are, it is quite possible that you are worse off.

An attorney can provide interpretations of contract law and the laws and regulations of real estate transactions as they apply to your state and municipality. What they can't do is stop you from making bad decisions about value, potential and things like that. In those respects, your family member can help but don't forget, a family member can become emotionally involved and what you really need is an unbiased review of that you're doing. A agent can help there, they aren't going to live there and aren't showing up at the family BBQ. If things do go not as you'd like, less worry than having to manage a feelings of guilt or blame toward family members.

Figuring out the sold prices or comparable properties, as you've found, isn't rocket science nor the exclusive purview of Realtors or agents. Likewise, coming up with an offer price is also something you are probably as good at as any realtor or agent. Besides, most often what the Realtor or agent does is print or send you to comps and you end up figuring it out yourself anyway. Getting the information to formulate that offer price is something you're going to end up doing yourself in any case.

Running errands is something you can also use a buyer agent for. If you have documents to sign and deliver, make the buyer agent do it. If you are paying them, it becomes their job or you just use one who will provide you with that service.

If you use a buyer agent, be very specific about the services you want them to provide and negotiate a price for them. You don't have to offer a percentage based commission, you can make it flat fee if you want. It comes down to one thing on that, do you think someone being paid more if the price is higher will caution you against making a lower offer or not agreeing to a counter is that really isn't in your best interest?

Some agents will work according to what you want and accept payment from you instead of the seller/listing agent. If they refuse, simple, find one who will, there are plenty of them out there and right now, agents probably out number buyer and sellers.

Good luck.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:

It's a comfort thing. Some people are very comfortable negotiating for themselves some aren't. No one can answer that question for you.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM

[quote=Captain Bill;27260805]
Quote:
From the Arizona Multiple Listing Service: Please explain how access to the MLS is easy.
VOW's give a lot of data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate