Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 08:59 PM

184 posts, read 491,445 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on buying a condo or townhouse in the next 9-10 months, but I'm really not sure where to start. What are the first steps I need to take before going out to start looking at places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 PM

144 posts, read 460,828 times
Figure out the areas you want to live. Investigate them, what are the prices, can you afford to live there. Figure out how much you can afford, both now and in the future (down payment, closing costs, future mortgage payments, maintenance). Think about what you NEED in the house versus what you'd like, as well as things you don't care about and things you definitely don't want.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:10 AM

184 posts, read 491,445 times
Ok, I'd figured that out already. I guess what I really am not sure about is the whole pre-approval thing and going from there. Who do I talk to about getting pre-approved and then what steps after that do I need to take?

Old 08-27-2008, 05:59 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times
To get pre approved, you can either talk to your local or national bank that you a relationship with or a mortgage broker that you know or have been recommended to.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:24 PM

376 posts, read 1,505,718 times
I would recommend you speak with a real estate agent and a mortgage broker that focus on helping first time buyers get established. There are many programs out there that can help you. Your bank will help you but they are going to try and sell you on their programs vs. having a 3rd party who can look at various opportunities for you.

I applaud you for taking your time to do your homework nine months in advance and if you pick the right team to help you get their they will guide you along each step.

Best of luck!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:25 PM

24 posts, read 86,426 times
Ask friends and family who have recently purchased a home if they like/would recommend their real estate agent and their mortgage banker/broker. If so, give the mortgage broker (brokers will shop multiple banks' rates vs. banker will give you their rate only) a call to see what you can afford according to them and how your credit looks (credit is huge in getting a mortgage these days). Then figure out if that's what you're comfortable spending. Then contact the real estate agent and you're on your way.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate