Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:55 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Something just sounds wrong here. They told you the system had been cleaned every two years, but you "found out" that it has actually been 10 years. How did you find out? Did you have an inspection of the system? If you did, that should have revealed to you the difficulty of finding an access to clean it out. And so far as I have ever heard, there is no such thing as a septic tank without an access for cleaning it. That's like saying you found a car without a steering column. Yeah, I guess someone could alter one so that it is so, but who would and why? So, while the access point may have been covered over, and be difficult to find, it's there. $2500 to locate it sounds like overkill to me, as it should be clearly marked on a septic plan which would have been approved & filed with the municipality and or board of health.

Ther's more here than meets the eye. Someone wants out of a contract, and is now grasping at whatever straws they can find.
I owned a house 15 years ago that had the septic lid covered. We had to dig to find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:30 PM

211 posts, read 947,770 times
We are not using the septic tank to get out of it. As I mentioned we already approved the inspection even though it couldn't take place and are proceeding to close. Mover scheduled and deposit made. Our current home rented.

My husband works for a fortune 50 company. Not a small company by any means. They have not had a very good year, as well as most others, but he did not expect to be laid off. He is very busy at work. They are 'allegedly' closing the Chicago office. He was shocked when he found out as will be the other 300 Chicago employees when they find out. No one sees it coming. His boss is hinting because he mentioned that he is buying a home and they are very good friends. It was information that his boss was not supposed to share. It's shocking because he has so many Chicago based customers. Had we known this before we would not even have been looking at homes. We were honest and upfront and offered the entire deposit if they were willing to let us cancel and they said no so we are honoring our end. We will do the necessary work and put it for sale in the spring.

Their realtor told our realtor it has been emptied every two years as it is supposed to be. When our septic inspector got to the property he asked the sellers where the access was and they said there isn't one. He said how is it cleaned and they said it hasn't been. He asked how old it was and they said 10 years. He still looked around for the access as he couldn't believe there wasn't one and he didn't find it. Therefore he couldn't inspect. The $2500 is for the excavation, cleaning and to install access so it doesn't have to be excavated every two years. Our realtor said since it is working it is not something we can force them to do. We did ask them to do the excavating and cleaning and we would pay for the access but they refused.

So that's it. We aren't angry or bitter or trying to find a way out. We entered into a contract and will honor it. We loved the house the minute we saw it and were very upset at the thought of not being able to buy it. It's been on the market a long time and I can understand the sellers point of view also. I just can't help to have this sinking feeling that we need to use some of our much needed savings to fix something so large right away and have no knowledge as to its condition until it is actually excavated but so be it.

To everyone who responded with advice and good wishes, thank you very much. We are looking forward to moving into our new home and enjoying the holidays.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I owned a house 15 years ago that had the septic lid covered. We had to dig to find it.
And that's what I said. It may be covered, but there is an access. Septic tanks are made by companies according to a design. They don't randomly choose to make one without an acess point. It may get covered over, but it exists. You may have to FIND it, but you should never have to BUILD one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate