Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:53 AM

520 posts, read 3,920,559 times

Advertisements

Anyone here live close to train tracks? (Did I even word that correctly... LOL??)

I'm looking at some homes that have a train route maybe 2 blocks away.
Almost sure it is a freight train too.

Do you stay away from these homes or give them a chance?
For those that bought with train in the area, do you even notice it anymore?

thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 10:03 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
We have a train (freight) track about 1000' away. At first we noticed it (the first few days)-now hardly ever notice them at all.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:29 AM

33 posts, read 175,873 times
I used to live near a train track in high school and we never minded the noise. It's a much more pleasant noise than a airport or highway. The part where it was a problem is when the train would block the road when I was trying to get somewhere. Some of those freight trains are very, very long.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:55 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
I think it is personal preference if you choose not to move near train tracks. I grew up in the city and lived two houses away from the commuter train. Loved that it was so close to public transpo. We now live in a rural area and have a freight line near us. We only hear it very early in the morning if we are awake. I always enjoy the sound of a train, but I think that is because I have always lived near them. As I think of it, I have always lived in walking distance of a commuter train until now.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:14 PM

35 posts, read 374,745 times
I lived about 2 blocks from a train station for 10 years. I would sometimes be on the phone and the person I was talking to could hear the train but I was totally unaware of it.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:56 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
I think the real question is do you live near a train crossing?

I am renting now and live 1500' from the train crossing. And let me tell what...when that train comes across those tracks at 2am it is epic. Wake you up and you think you are sitting on the tracks.

The train normally crosses the crossing after disconnecting and blares the horns. Then backs up across the crossing and blares the horn. Reconnects on a new train and moves forward. Again crossing and blaring the horn.

It sucks bad. Thank goodness I am renting!

Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,339 times
I grew up in a house that was close to train tracks (but not a crossing). It did not bother me at all. Trains did not wake me up at night. Of course the neighborhood kids played on the train tracks....looking back it was pretty dangerous. So if you have kids it's something to think about.

Last edited by wilmingtonangel; 08-30-2008 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: grammar error

Old 08-31-2008, 06:40 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Anyone here live close to train tracks? (Did I even word that correctly... LOL??)

I'm looking at some homes that have a train route maybe 2 blocks away.
Almost sure it is a freight train too.

Do you stay away from these homes or give them a chance?
For those that bought with train in the area, do you even notice it anymore?

thanx
It depends on how far away the crossing is. If it's just train going by, it's not that bad, and you would probably get used to it. But we lived close to the crossing and when they blare those horns at 3:00 am, believe me you WON'T get used to that. Sometimes I thought the conductor was doing it loud and long on purpose at that time of the night.

There is a beautiful development in my area that is very close to the tracks and the crossing. The builder is having a very tough time selling the houses closest to the tracks because it's just too loud. Think of resale value also.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:49 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
I am 2 blocks away from a train track AND under the flight path to a military air field also used by UPS planes. The planes (especially the helicopters) bother me a lot more as I really don't even notice the trains.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:17 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times
I'll buy near commuter lines, but not freight. Too noisy for too long. I knew someone who lived a couple blocks from a freight line. She said her entire family got used to it-- except for her. It made her nuts.

Before you buy, make sure you know how many trains come past, how often, at what times of day. There's a line here, where they're proposing to increase freight traffic 4x! As you can imagine, the people in surrounding areas are going a bit apesh-t over that particular proposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate