U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 PM

1,305 posts, read 734,623 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this has been talked about yet or not, but here it goes.

What is the minimum requirements to list a room as a bedroom on MLS? I have two examples:

- A master bedroom with no door or walls. Can this be considered a bedroom? It is open to the rest of the house.

- An area of the garage that has been finished but does not have a closet (area exists with no doors) or window for egress. Access is down OUTSIDE STAIRCASE and must walk across unfinished garage floor to access "bedroom". No plumbing exists on this level. Is this really a "bedroom" or a finished area of garage?

I'd appreciate your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 11:42 PM

4,508 posts, read 5,404,024 times
In every state we've bought or sold in, a bedroom has to have a closet.

Where are you? Are you buying or selling?

Never mind, I just saw your other post. It might be helpful to link it so folks can get a better picture of the situation.

I don't know what the threshold is to determine fraud but it certainly seems misleading to me.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
In every state we've bought or sold in, a bedroom has to have a closet.

Where are you? Are you buying or selling?
Buying in Washington State. Closet exists in both bedrooms, but no closet doors are present in lower level bedroom.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 AM

2,124 posts, read 5,702,341 times
Bedrooms do not have to have closets to be considered a bedroom. Go check out homes built in the early 1900's and before. They didn't have closets, they had Armoires for their few clothes.

However, most jurisdictions do require 2 pointes of egress for a room to be identified as a sleeping (bedroom) room. Due to Fire Regulations!!

Shelly

Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,234,304 times
The first you describe could be considered a bedroom depending on the overall style of the house. An open floor plan would be where I'd expect to see such a thing. The second I wouldn't consider a bedroom. Depending on the area, I might say it could be such a room but wouldn't count it as such.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:46 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,810,546 times
Our house, up here in Downeast Maine was built in 1879 - It has one closet in the upstairs hallway and no closets in the bedrooms, no coat closet.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Our house, up here in Downeast Maine was built in 1879 - It has one closet in the upstairs hallway and no closets in the bedrooms, no coat closet.
That's a unique case. Houses built pre-1900 often don't have closets in bedrooms, but I think they still can be considered bedrooms. The subject house was built in 2003.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:52 AM

13,779 posts, read 16,848,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
Bedrooms do not have to have closets to be considered a bedroom. Go check out homes built in the early 1900's and before. They didn't have closets, they had Armoires for their few clothes.

However, most jurisdictions do require 2 pointes of egress for a room to be identified as a sleeping (bedroom) room. Due to Fire Regulations!!

Shelly
Hey Shelly,

We are in Richmond and we have always been told that to be considered a bedroom it must have a closet!

When we lived on Monument none of our bedrooms had closets, as you mentioned, but it was still able to be marketed as a bedroom. Is it also true that closets were not built because a household was taxed by the amount of rooms in a house and a closet was considered a room??

I don't know how you RA keep up with all of this

Old 09-02-2008, 10:52 AM

10,927 posts, read 18,576,045 times
In Oregon legally a bedroom has to have a closet and an escapable window. In lofts and converted warehouses this would not be true, and many older homes would not qualify since they often did not have closets. So we look more at function.

So yes, in the first scenario, it is possible to have a master with no walls/doors, and no I would not consider the second one a bedroom since it is not functionally one. I would have called it an office/den/bonus, etc or something.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM

19,680 posts, read 14,088,780 times
MLS rules are local.

In my area, a bedroom does not have to have a closet or a window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate