Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 12:31 PM

620 posts, read 1,950,645 times

Advertisements

Our home has been on the market 30 days. We are selling because my husband has a new job in another state. We are living now in a two bedroom cramped apartment in Ohio. We want to get the house sold to move on with our new home purchase. We have found several homes, we would love to make an offer on, however realistically we know that we cant until our home in SC sells. I am traveling back and forth every couple of weeks to check on our SC home and it is taking a toll.

Here is the problem. Our agent does not think we should lower our price. We have had 9 showings. All have left positive feedback, etc. Agents say that it shows well and is very clean,uncluttered etc.

I want to go ahead and lower it now! The agent states that we should wait until the end of September. My husband is listening more to her because she is the professional in this. She does have a wonderful track record and according to our relocation company she gets the job done. I am just worried that in 6 months from now it will still be on the market.

Am I being out of line for WANTING the price lowered? We are in a small town and I am glad that we have had that many showings...but that means that we missed those offers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:51 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,018 times
If that is what you want (and if you can get your husband to agree) then your realtor should do as you wish. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:57 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
I want to go ahead and lower it now!
Instruct your agent to lower it, she must obey. You are the rare seller who has to press the agent for a price reduction, but 30 days is exactly the point at which we will drop a price.

There is a cost involved with waiting to buy, not the least of which is your inconvenience and hassle factor. Also, if the market in Ohio is as soft as I think it is, you should be able to obtain a deeper discount on the new purchase than you have to give on the current home to achieve a quick sale.

Finally, husbands should know that keeping our wives happy is more important than listening to an agent who might possibly have ego issues in not wanting to lower the price. In 18 years of marraige, I've never regretted letting my wife have her way when it comes to "nesting" issues.

Steve

Old 09-02-2008, 01:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
Here is the problem. Our agent does not think we should lower our price. We have had 9 showings. All have left positive feedback, etc. Agents say that it shows well and is very clean,uncluttered etc.
And yet there have been no offers......... How many similar homes in your area have gone under contract/closed since you listed? How many new homes have come to market? Have any of those 9 buyers who saw your place bought something else? If so, what and at what price? Your agent should be able to figure this out within the MLS. A CMAis a living document, not the be all/end all to pricing.

I am inclined to go with your gut feel. It sounds like there may be a real possiblity your former place could sit empty for the next six months while you and the family remain cramped in temporary housing.

If your agent is right about the current price, you should become sold almost instantly.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:19 PM

151 posts, read 798,621 times
Support here from a mom raising 4 boys and living in a 2 bedroom corporate apt...tell that agent to lower that price ASAP or else!!!!

(good luck to you.....and may we both be in a REAL house soon!!!)

Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM

I appreciate the insight from each of you!

Middle-Age-Mom- Thank you for the questions to ask our agent about the buyers who did see our home. I guess I never thought about the CMA being the living document.

I know this evening when we speak to our agent, I will be armed with a list of questions. I have always said that if we do not advocate for ourselves...who else will?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:29 PM

Mrs. Coach- I guess you know EXACTLY what I am feeling! We are coming from a almost 3000 square foot home to a 2 bedroom apartment. It is no fun with two teenagers and a 2 1/2 year old! I could still be in SC in the house,but I missed my boys and husband way too much. They moved up here in January and I had to finish out my teaching contract. We waited to put the house on the market because of the situation.

How long have you been in corp housing? How long has your house been on the market? I wish you the best of luck!

We moved to Ohio to be closer to family and know this was the right thing to do! I am just hoping that it doesn't take THAT long for us to sell!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:08 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
I have clients that are in the exact situation. The comps indicate that the home is well priced, and we are getting showings. We have interested parties, who of course, can't sell their homes...

Even despite being well priced, they elected to drop their price. There are some buyers that love their home, which caused them to "panic" and drop the price of their home in order to get the sale to buy this home. Even a small drop can make a difference. Decide what your "emotional value" is in dealing with the stress. Drop the price accordingly.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 PM

151 posts, read 798,621 times
Oh, do I know how you feel! 6-16 are their ages; went from 3600 sf house to 800 sf apartment. We are unbelieveably grateful and blessed to finally be together, but boy ARE WE TOGETHER!!! ....DH left in Jan to start new job and we stayed to finish school year and sell house.....oh, let's talk about a family challenge! We did actually sell and closed on June 30th, but have not yet found our new house (I KNOW....can't even believe it is taking this long!)...so are still stuck renting and being EXTREMELY together! LOL!

Lower that dern price and sell your house! I will send along some pixie selling dust to you ASAP!

Where in Ohio are you moving to? We left Hudson (Cleve) 3 years ago and the boys are still diehard Buckeyes! (Me? Happy to be outta the snow!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate