Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 05:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

on our listing until at least next year. It's been on the market for a year, there's only been 5 houses sold in our price range since March and there is a glut of inventory, so bad that my agent was telling me that people are looking at upwards of 30 houses before deciding or (the agents words) "are looking for a $300k house for $200k". I figure I'll tell the agent that if he runs across someone who wants to buy I'll resign for that sale or if a person who already saw it comes back he'll be covered.
No showings for the last couple of months, can't refinance while on market,winters about to hit and I can't see a benefit to leaving it on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 05:47 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I don't know about your market, but here if you don't have an offer by the 3rd week in Oct, you probably won't until Feb. We tend to have a spurt in Sept and Oct as people try to get moved before the holidays.

Ask your agent about what your market trend is. It might make sense to give it another month before pulling the plug.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:31 PM

I'll ask him. I also suggested that he might want to look at the stats (hits) on realtor.com to see what price ranges were getting the most looks. I thought it'd be interesting to see what price ranges are the hotest right now.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:50 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
You can have him run inventories by price breaks as well. $150-$200K, $200-$250k, etc. Your local MLS data is better than Realtor.com. Their data is a little skewed.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You can have him run inventories by price breaks as well. $150-$200K, $200-$250k, etc. Your local MLS data is better than Realtor.com. Their data is a little skewed.
I know it's a little skewed but what I was looking for is not what has sold but what ranges people seem to be searching in and since most are searching online first I thought it'd be an interesting indicator of what ranges are in play now.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
on our listing until at least next year. It's been on the market for a year, there's only been 5 houses sold in our price range since March and there is a glut of inventory, so bad that my agent was telling me that people are looking at upwards of 30 houses before deciding or (the agents words) "are looking for a $300k house for $200k". I figure I'll tell the agent that if he runs across someone who wants to buy I'll resign for that sale or if a person who already saw it comes back he'll be covered.
No showings for the last couple of months, can't refinance while on market,winters about to hit and I can't see a benefit to leaving it on...
Jim, I think you're in Montana IIRC..
Chances are there aren't many people looking for houses in the winter, but you never know. I know nothing about Montana except that it's cold.
Do you have a ski season?
Is there a fishing or hunting season?
If so, this is when you probably want to be listed.

I know it's the pits to be listed during the holidays but the thing is, if you aren't listed you might lose a buyer. I'd try to hang in there or pull it off for a length of time where your agent knows it's dead, then put it back up as a new listing.

I think you were using a non local agent at one time, do you have a local agent now? That could be what's hurting you if you don't.

After listing the end of May 2007 (non local agent) and not having much action, once the selling season started again in February (local agent) we had one of the hottest properties, going under contract in March, closing end of May. So it was 1 year total.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:10 AM

Unfortunately (or fortunately if you don't mind tourists) we live in a year round tourist destination. Summer is Glacier Park and winter is Big Mountain for winter sports not to mention hunting/fishing both ice and regular.
Yes we're still using an agent from the next town over but the locals aren't selling either, in fact many agents have taken up other jobs at Lowes,Depot or car rental places etc to make money and are dropping their RE jobs for now.
Houses do sell here during the winter and I've thought about just leaving it on since you can't sell if it's not listed but I can't refi if I do leave it on and it's become a stale listing to boot. We are also thinking of replacing our linoleum flooring with tile and will most likely want to adjust the price if we do.
We do have one person who wants to buy it but can't sell theirs and my agent is their agent as well so I've thought of just pulling it off and letting the agent know I'll sign to do that deal if it happens.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:05 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Jim, sounds like you should pull it off now, then list once the winter season starts up. That's what I would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate