Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 08:43 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,048,744 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have regrets in real estate(not buying, selling, renting, etc)

1. Regret not selling your house on time and it depreciates or selling it before the boom and missing out on equity.
2. Regret not buying and became priced out.
3. Regret buying at the peak and seeing depreciation.
4. Regret buying at location A when location B was a better deal.
5. Regret renting instead of buying.
6. Other types of regrets?

I regret renting apartment while in college, could of bought it cheap and doubled my money. Rent was a waste and to this day I hate rent! I will never make the rent mistake again!

I regret on behalf of my parents for not selling this house for $750k, now its worth low $600s and still dropping because a price correction is underway. They are losing equity and could have relocated elsewhere and saved so much money.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 09:36 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,736,360 times
I regret not buying real estate several years ago in the area I just moved from. When real estate boomed a few years ago I made the mistake of saying I'll wait, so I lost out on making a lot of money. I had a friend that bought a condo for 80,000 and within three years it was worth close to 300,000. Someone else bought for 60,000 and it's now worth over 30,000.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:46 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,630,336 times
I'm happy I bought when I did. Bought my townhome for a bit less than $300K and it appreciated right up to $740K. I couldn't afford it nowadays so you can see why I'd be quite happy. Even if it does lose some value (which it hasn't yet, crosses-fingers) it'll still be worth more than what I paid for it. And I don't plan on selling anytime in the near future so I'm not going to worry about it.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,048,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I regret not buying real estate several years ago in the area I just moved from. When real estate boomed a few years ago I made the mistake of saying I'll wait, so I lost out on making a lot of money. I had a friend that bought a condo for 80,000 and within three years it was worth close to 300,000. Someone else bought for 60,000 and it's now worth over 30,000.

Are you serious? Triple+ price in just 3 years? It took about 10 years for south Florida to triple in price. Prices dont make sense anymore and im tired of this location anyway. Hopefully when I purchase my first home in the northeast, its a good decision I wont regret

Old 02-07-2007, 10:33 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,957,176 times
I had a chance to buy a house in San Francisco's Visatacion Valley (not a great area) in early 1998 for $179,000. It was a typical rowhouse not in the best of shape and a bit beaten looking from the outside. I turned the opportunity down thinking...what a piece of crap! Today it's worth about $700,000!!! Who knew!
The other miss I had was in Las Vegas back in 2001. A two story house became available down the street from me. It had foreclosed and the lawn had reverted to desert and the house looked... mistreated inside. I could have picked it up for $200,000 and I believe it was a 2000 sq. ft. house.
I passed.
Someone else bought it, put in a new instant turf lawn, cleaned it up and made it beautiful. It was worth $400,000 by 2005.
I had been worried about the mortgage on top of my current mortgage, but I could have swung it actually with HUMONGOUS belt tightening in every area and made a huge profit.
But....
That was a window in investment time too. Had I tried the same thing beginning in the latter part of 2005, I'd have been stuck with two mortgages on two homes that wouldn't sell in a suddenly crowded selling market with prices diving and ended up BROKE.
So it's always a gamble and you never know when the music will stop and you have to race to get a chair...who'll be left standing.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:35 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,326,011 times
I don't regret anything. I'm from the old school. I was never looking for an investment. I was always interested in finding a home. Whether I was renting or purchasing, it was my home and that's all that was and is important to me.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,016,524 times
also happy that we bought our house when we did
paid $192k 5 years ago now worth $350k.
What i do regret is 8 years ago a friend bought 2 1/2 acres across the street form the intercostal paid $55k now worth over 1 million
I regret that I didn't buy the lot down the street from him

I also agree with grammy164 we didnt buy this house for an investment we bought it as our first home together
karla

Old 02-07-2007, 02:07 PM

243 posts, read 702,280 times
I regett a bit..

coz i bought a house cheep . in times where houses here ar high. (good thing ofc)($64 000 when normal price here is $246 000)

but the reason for the low price is a landfill. (or dump. not sure english name for this) is to close. and i gambled that this shud be removed in a few years. and the price wil go sky high.

unf the landfill/dump moved even closer to my house

Tj..

Old 02-07-2007, 02:11 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,957,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjukken View Post
I regett a bit..

coz i bought a house cheep. in times where houses here ar high. (good thing ofc)

but the reason for the low price is a landfill. (or dump. not sure english name for this) is to close. and i gambled that this shud be removed in a few years. and the price wil go sky high.

unf the landfill/dump moved even closer to my house

Tj..
Either word, landfill or dump is correct and we know exactly what you mean. Too bad the darn thing got closer to the house you bought! Maybe someday they'll clean it up and restore the landscape, make it a park or something, and your house value will rise!
While it's unfortunate that a landfill/dump is so close to your home, as long as there's no contamination to your property and water/air, you're probably still ahead in the long run.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:57 PM

243 posts, read 702,280 times
Yeah. and luckly my my view out. and from my out place is away from the landfill.
And normal wind direktion is from me towords the landfill. that combined with strickt enviroment rules i rearly notice any smell.

And by how the area looks. they can just fill this landfil to a point. when that is reach they have to move it. then they prob make a park or sumthing.
so its just for me to wait.

the area is close to a town. but same time it looks like middel of nowhere.
i have deers living neer my house. i hear birds and other animal life. my closest neigboor is 600 Meters away. so i can play my stereo when i want how i want. 30 min walk from me im in the city senter. with trains busses pubs everything.. great place... prob is that when the landfill moves. and price rises.. i prob wont sell... tho i might refinance my loan and geet a better deal..

Tj..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate