Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 06:50 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,070 times

Advertisements

op, how is a house a short term decision? i'm not sure what you mean.

i should add that we're young and don't have much money except for that so i see us using it sometime in the future (before retirement) - at least some of it. we have a lot of expenses coming up (business start up and house purchase) in the next year and a half. no credit cards or debt, but we will have some soon. and the worse part, we started with $400. we don't want to "realize" the damage by withdrawing, but we also need to use it and don't want to see it gone when we need it. it's almost like we're the poor folks who are at retirement watching their money dwindle when we need it most. sigh.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 AM

995 posts, read 3,928,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
op, how is a house a short term decision? i'm not sure what you mean.

i should add that we're young and don't have much money except for that so i see us using it sometime in the future (before retirement) - at least some of it. we have a lot of expenses coming up (business start up and house purchase) in the next year and a half. no credit cards or debt, but we will have some soon. and the worse part, we started with $400. we don't want to "realize" the damage by withdrawing, but we also need to use it and don't want to see it gone when we need it. it's almost like we're the poor folks who are at retirement watching their money dwindle when we need it most. sigh.
Thanks for explaining your situation. Obviously, my situation is different from yours. I invested in stocks for long term retirement (30 years horizon). That's why I said I would not take out money from my retirement fund.

However, in your situation, where you invested in stocks for the near future, it's totally different. The answer to your question is actually quite simple that only you can answer; Do you think your business will net higher return than stock investment for your time horizon? If so, then you should definitely sell the stocks (probably for a loss) and start your business.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:42 AM

995 posts, read 3,928,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
My advice is to not let the 100k steer you towards buying a more expensive home simply because you can afford it on paper with a large downpayment. I just sold a home that I paid 325k for 3 years ago and put 130k down on that home. I now have bought a home that perfectly fits my needs which I paid 195k for (same location). I am recasting my current mortgage to end up with a 65k mortgage that I will pay off in the next 2 years. My goal with a home is to buy one that I can be debt free on rather than look at the 30year mortgage as the only option.

I would suggest that you let the 100k lead you to a smaller home debt than to buy more house than you need simply because you have a very decent down payment.
This is a great advice, if you are moving within the same area or to a a similar priced house market.

Many ppl sold their house at the peak in 2006 and realized huge capital gains. Unfortunately, they used the proceeds only to purchase 2 times more expensive house at the peak. You know the rest story.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
This is a great advice, if you are moving within the same area or to a a similar priced house market.

Many ppl sold their house at the peak in 2006 and realized huge capital gains. Unfortunately, they used the proceeds only to purchase 2 times more expensive house at the peak. You know the rest story.
I didn't! I sold near the peak and have rented since. I lovin' the crummy housing market.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Depends on where I was moving. But, my tendency would be to buy a multi-unit house (2-4 units), live in one and rent out the others.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:07 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Use it as collateral to start a business.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:16 PM

315 posts, read 349,472 times
Way to go bigtrees. I only wish I would have moved sooner to sell my 2 homes in 2005. I would be sitting on a wad of cash ready to buy cash and then some left over.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:25 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,070 times
thanks for the reply acegolfer. it was a gift to us too (husband's inheritance) so this also makes it tougher. but anyway - we'll probably use (what's left - it's steadily decreased since we took over the account) it for the business (dental practice) - won't go far there and/or a house.

all i know is that i officially HATE the stock market!! haha. my experience thus far has been very bad. we almost took the money out when we first got it to buy a house we could have lived in for years and years and years. i wish we had done that - even if we had never moved, we'd at least have something to show for that lost money.

thanks again!

Old 09-17-2008, 12:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I'm with the person above..buy land outright and put a dblwide on it.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:03 PM

989 posts, read 2,497,762 times
Right now is an excellent time to buy into the stock market, prices are rock-bottom now...they may go down a bit further but you have a great opportunity to get once-in-a-lifetime positions in companies.

However, if you're buying a house to LIVE IN, not a bad place for your money either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate