Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 PM

222 posts, read 877,803 times

Advertisements

I need a little outside perspective here. I posted before about whether or not to lower our price and we did but now I need to get perspective on this offer.

Yes, I said we received an offer. Background: we originally listed in March at $317,000, lowered to $310,000 and then at the first of the month to $300,000. The offer today is at $287,000. No closing costs, credit score above 700, living with relatives - so no contingency, and the lender says it could close between Oct. 5 at the earliest and 15th, at the latest. They are going to be faxing the offer to our agent today but they say they are offering on another home (in another city) at the same time and will make their decision on the best response.

They came to see our home with their agent in May and we have figured out that this is the same family that came this last Friday without their agent. They moved from the area last year and are living with relatives (free and clear - wohoo) and our house is in the same boundries as the school their kids went to last year.

Knee jerk reaction is that is such a low offer and we should counter, but husband doesn't want to take the chance of countering and losing the offer. We did that before and never heard back from the other people.

Our agent is our friend so sometimes I think it is hard to get the same "outside" perspective that an agent we just found in the phonebook might have. What to do? What to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 12:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
If you want out and can live with the $287K then go for it. You're talking about $13K here..only $13K..that is less then 5% of 300K.

If it were me in that situation..I'd accept.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:57 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
If you really want or need to sell:
I would advise to take the offer. Anytime you counter you have effectively rejected.
That is a pretty strong buyer in my estimation.

Lets assume you got a full price offer (hardly likely in this market) and most want closing costs (that would be $9,000 for 3%) so you are down to 291k. you would let a buyer walk for 3K? well less than that because most offers aren't full offers right now. NOT a good business decision. you've got a good offer. go for it. Unless you don't need or really want to sell.

and I find it interesting that they are placing two offers? If they both get signed they are legally obligated to both both houses. Unless they are just submitting letters of intent... which I don't like. I would tell them we will sign it if you send over the offer/contract.

shelly

Old 09-17-2008, 01:00 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
Bridget...what do you owe on the house and what City/area do you live in ? Please answer.

Even without this information, I would say take the offer and run...because your home will only DECLINE in value in the next few months. Sell while you can !

Old 09-17-2008, 01:19 PM

222 posts, read 877,803 times
I live in Syracuse, UT. We bought the house last year for $300,000 (at the time appraised for $315,000 - I know, doesn't mean anything now). We like the area but it is just not where our lives are. We want to move back to the area that we both grew up in. We will be losing the equity we brought with us on the lower offer and the cost of the realtors but we will not be upside down or anything. We will just have less to put on something else.

This has been a costly learning experience but now we know what we want and we are just lucky that we are not in the same spot as some people that "have to sell or else".

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
If you really want or need to sell:
Lets assume you got a full price offer (hardly likely in this market) and most want closing costs (that would be $9,000 for 3%) so you are down to 291k. you would let a buyer walk for 3K? well less than that because most offers aren't full offers right now. NOT a good business decision. you've got a good offer. go for it.

We have already kicked ourselves in July for basically the same situation. Offer came in at $306,000 when it was still listed at $310,000 and they wanted us to pay closing costs. We countered back at partial closing costs and they never responded. The offer was a phone offer and they wanted an answer within the hour so I think we panicked and I don't want to do that again. We basically did blow that for about $6000 (more, considering the offer now).

It is really nice to have level headed people, not wrapped up in the emotion, respond. I really appreciate it. I have to think of the market now, not what we came in at 1 year ago. It had just started its decline in Utah at that time.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:32 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
I would just take the offer. It is worth it if you need to move and just want to be done with it. Advice we were given before "just take the offer. Let someone get a deal and then you will get a deal." Best advice ever. It stung for a few months thinking about the loss in money, but in the long run it was the best thing. (Nothing in the development where we sold has sold in over a year!)
Good luck. If I were you I would pull the trigger and then enjoy the holidays that are near...If you counter and lose them as buyers, you could have a very miserable Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Old 09-17-2008, 01:46 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Take it. Even "losing" $13k just consider it the cost of renting that house for the year or so you were in there.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:47 PM

620 posts, read 1,951,193 times
I just want to wish you the best of luck whatever you decide. You and your husband just have to decide and be a united front.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:50 PM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
We were in a similiar situation. We received an offer for 315k for our home that was listed at 329k (we had just dropped the price from 359K). We countered back at 320k to help defer any costs we might have to pay with inspections, etc. They accepted at 320k. We then felt like we had 5k to "play" with if they "wanted" anything done after inspections. In the end we ended up spending $1500 and fixed EVERY little thing they wanted. I think if you counter back for a few thousand more it feels better to recoup some dollars initially for potential fix-it costs that might be asked for after inspections, etc. I felt that it gave us a better position to fix everything they wanted and then everyone was happy!

Old 09-17-2008, 02:52 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
like shelly said...send over an offer/contract and we will sign it asap. Put it in writing and If they do it there I would set a cap on what you would spend if any issue that might come up on inspection, that needed corrected.

IF you REALLY are ready to let it go and move on with your lives, GO FOR IT!

solid buyers are hard to come by in many areas

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate