Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:42 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Went looking at some houses today around Snoqualmie. Stopped at a few, grabbed some of those cool brochures. One of the homes we looked at was beautiful...great view...so pretty....5 bedrooms, 4 baths.

My wife and me started giggling over that. We have two kids (and a 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment at the moment) and bathroom usage has never been an issue. We started saying "Maybe we can bathe the hamster in one, and use the other one strictly for aquarium cleaning day..."

Guffaws - I tell you - sheer guffaws of laughter.

But seriously...is that normal? 4 baths for 5 bedrooms? Come on!

Part 2.

One thing we did notice..as the houses went from 300K to .75 Mil...the more expensive houses had better flyers. Doesn't seem like that would be a big deal, but to me it sure is. Almost all (dare I say all?) of the 300K homes had cheap paper/black and white flyers. All of the expensive ones(500K+) had heavy, glossy paper with full color photos. Man, those flyers were awesome.

I'm thinking to myself (wife agreed, too!) that if you're serious about selling your home...why have some cheap ass flyers? Maybe that is the norm, too.

I was thinking "Hrm...the Realtor saved some bucks on these cheap ones."

=BUT=

I dunno. Who's decision is it (and who pays for it?) for the cheap flyers? Maybe it is all the person who is selling the home can afford. I figured I'd post here and ask.

Incidently, I had a 5 bedroom, 3 bath in Atlanta. We never used that #3, very much at all. Or one of the bedrooms. One I had turned into a "computer room/office", but we could've made do with 3 - easily.

I learned a valuable lesson in Atlanta. If you don't need that much house...don't buy that much house. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Oh well. Just thought I'd share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 11:00 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
I'm with ya on the rooms 70ford. We have 3 baths and use one (2 of us) I say why clean more than you hafta!
And I will never understand this giving each kid a private bedroom. I knew families with 6 or 7 kids and 3 bedrooms, and ONE bath!!! And EGADS...they all survived and grew up
Why can't parents/couples have private bedrooms???? with visiting privleages heh, heh

Old 09-21-2008, 11:08 PM

Edit.. sort of.. forgot to add...

One of the home we went to - can't remember the room number.. think was 3 or 4 bedroom - one of the key selling points was "Every bedroom has a bathroom attached."

Maybe it was because I was raised in a 3 bedroom 1 bath, (Slept in the same bed with 2 other brothers until we got so big, we couldn't ft) from since I can remember until I joined the Air Force...but...

What? First thought - "Overkill."

Old 09-22-2008, 12:07 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
We have 4 people and 3 baths and some mornings it is a tight schedule to get everyone in and out.
Both kids have to be on the school bus at 6:45 and the wife leaves for work around 7:15.
A 2 bath would not do for us and I am sure others are in the same situation.

Growing up we had 1 1/2 baths for 5 of us so I have dealt with that and don't choose to again.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 AM

Hrmm... sounds like it's a perspective thing. From my perspective - it's overkill. From others....not so much.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:11 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Americans are so fortunate to have so much largesse available to them, and I often wonder how many actually appreciate that astonishing largesse...

I wonder because as new consumer ideas come along, such as granite countertops or paying money to people to "do" one's own fingernails, interesting as they may be they often become cultural demands, rather than choices the individual freely accepts or rejects.

Our minds can become entranced, and our imaginations quashed and dulled, by the toxic cultural and peer pressures to aquire more and more stuff than is ever needed -- instead of putting the energies of our lives to living more and more for beauty, truth and love, and keeping our imaginations wild and hungy and free.

Oh my... it was Harry Hamster who called to me to speak up, 70Ford!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:38 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
My house right now is a 4 bed with 3 1/2 baths. We never use one bath at all.It is jsut my, my dh and our two sons.

Growing up we had 5 kids, and 5 adults ; and one bathroom. I dont know how we did it.

But where we are now is perfect. Not too big ; 2400sq ft and jsut perfect.

d

Old 09-22-2008, 05:44 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Went looking at some houses today around Snoqualmie. Stopped at a few, grabbed some of those cool brochures. One of the homes we looked at was beautiful...great view...so pretty....5 bedrooms, 4 baths.

My wife and me started giggling over that. We have two kids (and a 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment at the moment) and bathroom usage has never been an issue. We started saying "Maybe we can bathe the hamster in one, and use the other one strictly for aquarium cleaning day..."

Guffaws - I tell you - sheer guffaws of laughter.

But seriously...is that normal? 4 baths for 5 bedrooms? Come on!
I'm not sure I understand why what's not normal to one person is funny when it's perfectly normal to another. We have 5 bathrooms, family of 4. We use every single bathroom, every single day. It comes in handy when you have company or guests. We live far away from family. When they come, they stay. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having a bathroom that they can use without invading my personal space. I actually wish when we had company, we had one more half bath.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:51 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
We bought our house with a princess suite (a second master suite) for the same reason tamitrail said. We have guests often and it is so nice for them to be comfortable and have their own space.

We moved from a three bedroom 1 bath house for DH and two kids, and I COULD NOT WAIT to have my own bathroom.....it is sheer bliss!!

That said, there are times we do use even the guest bathroom because we are on a tight schedule!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:55 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
My first thought is that there is a family for a 5/4 house. In my area people will frequently over purchase because they expect family and friends to visit. I recently worked with a couple that purchased a 4/3 with an office. But they have kids that have kids that they expect will be coming for extended stays. They are also planning to have their parents come to visit.

I built a 4/3.5 4500/sq house years ago. Way too much house for my wife and I, but when we sold a couple with 3 kids purchased the house. It was wrong for us but perfect for them.

Friends of mine with 3 children each became a couple, sounds like the Brady bunch...while they certainly could use a 5/4 they manage with a 3/2.

As far as fliers, I've always used a full color high gloss flier. While I don't think that a flier will sell a property I do feel that it will get more attention, and may be retained longer than a few minutes. My wife does a floor plan for every property and it's printed on the back.

Years ago a color laser cost me over $10k now I get the same quality and capability with a bit over 2k. Each page costs about 50 cents.

With the cost and time involved I can understand why some agents simply print a standard report on an inkjet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate