Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,655 times

Advertisements

I put an offer on a house which the owner tells me was recently inspected because of an offer that fell through (recent as in - a week ago). She gave me the information of the home inspection group in case I wanted to see if they would give me a discount just to buy the report. Would you recommend doing this?

I'm leaning towards getting my own inspection because I think I'd like to be there during it, but my dh thinks it might be a good idea since it was so recent.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
If your agent knew the inspector and they were legit it might save you some money. Personally, I would want my own trusted inspector doing a new inspection for me.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:30 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Walk through with your own inspector. The results may not be different, but they will also educate you about the house, which I think is invaluable. The HI's I recommend tell my buyer's many useful things that don't appear on the report.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:22 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,120 times
I agree completely with silverfall. It isn't just about "what is wrong". It is your opportunity to learn about your new home. It is well worth the money...

shelly

Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Depends. As stated above get your own inspector.

If however the house is the least bit "interesting"...offer half price to the other inspector and buy it too. Compare them and let your guy resolve the differences. (Or fire your guy and let the other guy resolve the differences)

If it is a five year old tract house don't bother.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:34 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I put an offer on a house which the owner tells me was recently inspected because of an offer that fell through (recent as in - a week ago). She gave me the information of the home inspection group in case I wanted to see if they would give me a discount just to buy the report. Would you recommend doing this?

I'm leaning towards getting my own inspection because I think I'd like to be there during it, but my dh thinks it might be a good idea since it was so recent.

Any thoughts?
So are you saying they want you to buy the previous inspection? I would have assumed the previous buyer paid for the inspection and not the seller.

I'm wondering, didn't the seller get a copy of the inspection? In my case, the seller had copies of 2 previous inspections and gave copies to me. I guess it has to do with disclosure.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
So are you saying they want you to buy the previous inspection? I would have assumed the previous buyer paid for the inspection and not the seller.

I'm wondering, didn't the seller get a copy of the inspection? In my case, the seller had copies of 2 previous inspections and gave copies to me. I guess it has to do with disclosure.
Like an appraisal it is generally against the copyright laws for a seller to give a copy of an inspection paid for by another buyer to a new buyer.

It is almost always copyrighted by the inspector. So the new buyer needs to obtain it from the inspector who may need permission from the original buyer to provide it.

Don't get me wrong. I have seen people give buyers copies of prior inspections...but it ain't legal to do so.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:56 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,039 times
If the previous buyer paid for the previous inspection, the inspection company can't sell the report you you. You need to see if the previous buyer will let you have the inspection results. I would recommend you get your own inspector and have him/her explain the home to you.

Sandy

Old 09-23-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
If the previous buyer paid for the previous inspection, the inspection company can't sell the report you you. You need to see if the previous buyer will let you have the inspection results. I would recommend you get your own inspector and have him/her explain the home to you.

Sandy

Who told you that. The inspector sold one copy to the first buyer...but unless there is something in the contract between the buyer and the inspector he can sell it to anybody...and sometimes does.

Maybe one of the Inspectors will chime in. Might be a violation of some Inspector ethics code...but nothing in general law prevents it.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:29 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Who told you that. The inspector sold one copy to the first buyer...but unless there is something in the contract between the buyer and the inspector he can sell it to anybody...and sometimes does.
Here is a copy of the Amerispec agreement (they claim to be #1 in North America). It says the report is only for the buyer and the buyer can do whatever they want with it. This is only one company, but I would want to deal with places that had this kind of policy, not someone selling something I paid for.

"Confidentiality – You understand that the Services are being performed (and the Report is being prepared) for your sole, confidential and exclusive benefit and use."

http://www.amerispec.com/docs/includes/viewUserAtt.cfm?did=254 (broken link)

As far as seeing copies of previous buyer inspections, if the seller is given the report and knows the information, they need to disclose (at least in CA) all known information. Whether that is by a copy of the report or a re-written version of the report, the findings need to be disclosed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate