Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Maybe an idea for parents who MUST bring their kids is that one parent sits in the car with the children or takes them for a walk around the neighborhorhood (or to a local playground) while the other tours the house, and then they switch. This way, each adult has an ininterrupted tour where they can really focus on the showing.

I've done this a few times with people who have "high energy" kids. Believe me, the parents are not offended, they know what their kids are like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 09:31 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times
Here is a repeat of something I said on another thread, for what it is worth

when we 've had houses on the market , I put out toys...like blocks or legos, on the floor/books & coloring books & crayons on the breakfast bar....often some cookies and cups for water...And I know they have been used.....(a friendly post it at the door announces the availability)
for those that choose to.

What it boils down to is parents having respect for a strangers 'home' by seeing that one parent, or possibly the agent, watches over the mobile kids. If the parent that gives it the first go over likes it well enough, they can watch the kids while the other takes a closer look see.
And IMO it is up the buyers agent to be politely firm if the parents need prompting to better direct thier childrens actions when looking And if those parents get offended, oh well!

Personally I can't imagine not wanting someone to bring their kids to showings...You would think they would be looking a 'family' homes to begin with not museums to material posessions...it might just be a house, but it IS some family's future home

my .02

no kids? Less 5 or 10 bucks will get you some goodies at the $ store to have on hand

Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
Whooooaaaaa step away from the bash button!!!! Hello!!!! I don't think any of the agents have had a problem with the kids being there... it has been the SELLERS!!!! AGAIN, I wish folks would stop going onto "auto-agent-bashing"....

As an agent, I make it comfortable for my clients... they may take advantage or not take advantage as they see fit. I have sat and held and fed a baby while the parents toured the whole house. IT is a little above and beyond, but hey, Its been a long time since I have been able to sit and feed a little one, so I didn't mind....

shelly
Calm down. No one's bashing agents.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:09 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
I will jump in to second the notion that a seller being at the home for a showing is a HUGE turn off for me. If it's a FBSO, that's different, but otherwise, IMO, the seller should never be home.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:28 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,499 times
Wow. I really hope you want to sell your house. If having children afoot disturbs you that much, perhaps you should leave the house while the showing is going on. If you're listed with a realtor, there's no reason you need to be there anyway. And as a recent buyer (with children) I would be more put off by the fact you followed me around and had to show me every "detail" to your house. I can tell if I'm going to pass on your house within 5 minutes of walking in the door. Little details that I might have missed will not sway my decision in the least.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Here is a repeat of something I said on another thread, for what it is worth

when we 've had houses on the market , I put out toys...like blocks or legos, on the floor/books & coloring books & crayons on the breakfast bar....often some cookies and cups for water...And I know they have been used.....(a friendly post it at the door announces the availability)
for those that choose to.

What it boils down to is parents having respect for a strangers 'home' by seeing that one parent, or possibly the agent, watches over the mobile kids. If the parent that gives it the first go over likes it well enough, they can watch the kids while the other takes a closer look see.
And IMO it is up the buyers agent to be politely firm if the parents need prompting to better direct thier childrens actions when looking And if those parents get offended, oh well!

Personally I can't imagine not wanting someone to bring their kids to showings...You would think they would be looking a 'family' homes to begin with not museums to material posessions...it might just be a house, but it IS some family's future home

my .02

no kids? Less 5 or 10 bucks will get you some goodies at the $ store to have on hand

CRAZYMA for PRESIDENT!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyTD View Post
My children are ALSO buying the house.... after all, they are going to live there, too. They are age 8 and 4 and they have opinions that we like to hear. My husband and I care about how THEY feel about the house (which may become our home) so we take them to all showings.

You are right! So true!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:44 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times
nj...ROTFL

It just amazes me the lack of good ole commonsense these days...on behalf of EVERYONE...not just buyers but sellers too. And not just on the RE threads, but all over.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,707,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Crazyma has it right. We brought our kids - who have a lot of energy - to see every house. They have opinions, too. Parents are very skilled at multi-tasking. Even if it appears they're just coralling the kids, they're also seeing the house.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:57 PM

620 posts, read 1,951,054 times
I can sense your frustration, however sometimes you just have to play the hand that was dealt. In the past, we had to take our young boys to showings. We had NO CHOICE. My husband was in the military and we were relocating to a new town. Some people have no alternative. We did "keep" our children in tow and made sure they didn't touch ANYTHING, but I know some parents do not care.

We are in the process of selling right now, and we have had a porch item broken and another item. We just chalked it up to "oh well". We didn't like the fact, but there was nothing we could do. It is a buyers market. In fact, the people that "broke" the item were the ones that made an offer on the house. You just have to go with the flow no matter how it plays out. If you are not selling your house FSBO you really can't "CHOOSE" who you want in your house with an agent.

Good luck and maybe you will get showings with no more kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate