Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:39 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times

Advertisements

outside - at T street intersection, headlights in windows.
corner lot - cars accelerating from stop sign. Double the traffic. no rear yard
basketball hoop in neighbors driveway
neighbors barking yard dog
rear or side neighbors with a pool
inside- living room less than 15 feet wide, don't like the first row in a movie theater feeling for TV viewing.
kitchen with dark or wood cabinets
brown, beige, tan tile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:32 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
All of the outside deterents could have been checked out even before a showing. If I see a house I am interested in, I map it out...satellite it if possible. I check to see where it is on the street, if it's by tracks or highways, where it backs to, etc. If those means of investigation are not available or do not reveal what I need, I drive by, before I ask a realtor to show it to me. That rules out 50% of the things that might turn me off. Then I read the listing quite carefully and ask questions to see if it matches my "must haves" list. For example, I must have a basement. If it doesn't have one, I'm not looking at it.

Now, if a house were to meet all of my needs after the above has been exhausted and I actually went to see the house, the things that would be a turnoff are dirty bathrooms, anything that smells, and animals in the house.
You did what I did the last time I bought a house. My Realtor kept suggesting houses at the upper limit of my income.

I wonder...after reading here for months....if I did it wrong. I think I did.

I did the research. I perused the local market. I found my house.

All my Realtor did was to "show me the house" which took an hour. And then he pawned me off to his supervisor. She was top notch. A Korean lady with a lot of barganing skills. She (and the inspector she suggested) saved me about $7K on the purchase.

I was thinking..if that is all I have to do....then WOW..that is some sick cash for not much work. Maybe I should be a Realtor, too!

After reading here (for 2 years now) I realize I had a really new and a really sucky Realtor.

He had a License! It means Nothing!

Pay your money! Get your Realtor's license!

He just wanted the commisision. Customer care...what? Can't hear you... la la la... $$$...thousands.... in my bank.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:59 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
We live urban. Smells, tiny dark hallways, not enough closets, high maintenance exterior, any dampness at all.

But location can trump most anything. I am 5 blocks to work and the house was affordable. So a job with no commuting time or expense = priceless.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
What turns me OFF when I am looking is mostly a bad location, dirty neighbors or lack of privacy issues. I need a very large yard or acreage and my realtor will be forewarned of that I am also turned off my structural repairs or deferred maintenance. I don't want to fix someone else's projects...as far as paint color, flooring, etc, that can all be changed without a lot of trouble...but no big repairs, please, even if the price is right.

Otherwise, the common things such as really dirty bathrooms or odorous homes (cigarettes or animals) are turn-offs...I own three dogs but my home does NOT smell like dog! A bit of clutter and dust on the shelves would not bother me...homes are lived in...but filth or egregious damage would send me packing.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:43 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
First thing . . . as in way back, first thing . . .

is BS in the ad.

Like we are going to be too stupid to figure things out the truth once we see it.

BS me up front, and you will not get even a consideration from me.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

All my Realtor did was to "show me the house" which took an hour. And then he pawned me off to his supervisor. She was top notch. A Korean lady with a lot of barganing skills. She (and the inspector she suggested) saved me about $7K on the purchase.

I was thinking..if that is all I have to do....then WOW..that is some sick cash for not much work. Maybe I should be a Realtor, too!

After reading here (for 2 years now) I realize I had a really new and a really sucky Realtor.

He had a License! It means Nothing!
My best guess is that the negotiator has a team and uses newbies to unlock doors. Once you find the house you want, the negotiator goes to work. Once closed, the negotiator tosses the newbie a few bones.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:33 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I don't mind a semi-busy street, but don't want to live on a main thoroughfare.

Mostly what turns me off about the house itself are things I can't change, or can't change without a lot of expense/inconvenience: lot size, no basement, etc. So many things can be fixed, added, moved or painted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Dirt. Don't like dirty living. To which my realtor responded "oh, for God's sake". I like my realtor. She's pretty funny.
LMAO! I'm with her. Elbow grease is a wonderful thing.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:41 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Here is another one for you guys... What about a house located at a "T" instersection?

By this I mean you are driving down the street and come to a T.
You can either turn right, turn left, or drive forward to your house.
Does this make sense?

That's considered to be very bad feng shui, but, practically, you have to consider that you'll have headlights shining into your house at night so it matters what rooms are in the front of the house.

I've had several clients who wouldn't even consider a house that was lovely otherwise because it was located at the head of a "T".

Old 10-17-2008, 07:31 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,748 times
Wow, the headlights never even dawned on me.
Thanks for that tip.

What a great site this is!!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:51 AM

69 posts, read 344,545 times
I LOVE corner lots!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate