U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:50 AM

973 posts, read 3,182,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
That's how I see it, too. But all of the "sell your house now" type shows on HGTV stress that the house should be "staged" and that it's important to have the house furnished so that prospective buyers will be more able to imagine living there. I don't necessarily agree, and wondered how others felt.
Personally, I like an empty house so I can see EVERYTHING. I can look at the windows closely for damage, stains on the carpet, poor quality workmanship, etc....It's hard to hide damage in an empty home. With that said, some rooms are awkward whether it is due to strange floorplan, oddly placed windows, etc.... With those rooms, having some furniture can help to visualize what to do with it.

I had a "weird" room in an old house. There was an addition added and one room was oddly done. It was an "L" shaped room with a built-in bookcase and a sliding glass door on one side and 3 more doors on the other end. It was hard to figure out how to make the room functional. After a while, I figured out a furniture arrangement that could compliment the rooms odd shape but it took some creativity to avoid blocking the flow of foot traffic.

In that case, furniture would help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,099,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Personally, I like an empty house so I can see EVERYTHING. I can look at the windows closely for damage, stains on the carpet, poor quality workmanship, etc....It's hard to hide damage in an empty home. With that said, some rooms are awkward whether it is due to strange floorplan, oddly placed windows, etc.... With those rooms, having some furniture can help to visualize what to do with it.

I had a "weird" room in an old house. There was an addition added and one room was oddly done. It was an "L" shaped room with a built-in bookcase and a sliding glass door on one side and 3 more doors on the other end. It was hard to figure out how to make the room functional. After a while, I figured out a furniture arrangement that could compliment the rooms odd shape but it took some creativity to avoid blocking the flow of foot traffic.

In that case, furniture would help.

Let me run out and put everything in my house in storage...stay at a hotel and then you can take a peek!

Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,568,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Let me run out and put everything in my house in storage...stay at a hotel and then you can take a peek!
They didn't suggest you do that. They clearly said the prefer an empty house when looking. What is so crazy abou that? Obviously not all sellers can empty their house but preferring empty over full is hardly something to whine about.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 AM

112 posts, read 363,964 times
I went into an open house. There was no one there but the agent. She didn't even bother getting her behind off the couch. Maybe she thought I couldn't afford the place.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,231,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Smell is a big turnoff no doubt.

I went into one house this weekend. Open House. And the toilet inside was black. Covered in a layer of black filth. The house was so cluttered and unkept. The owners should be embarrassed to have people in their house in that condition. It was gross.
If I saw that toilet, I probably would have screamed and then left. I remember when I was looking for my first house with my now ex-husband. One house was mad cluttered. One room we couldn't enter because a person was asleep in there (according to a sign on the bedroom door). We headed back downstairs, where we saw a man we hadn't seen when we came in. It was obvious that he had just finished using the downstairs bathroom. I sniffed loudly and looked pointedly at the real estate agent, who avoided my stare.

After that visit, we jumped on that gem. NOT!

Old 03-03-2009, 12:03 PM

69 posts, read 337,313 times
I'm confused by people who say no dogs in a crate....what exactly should I do with my dog? Sometimes my schedule doesn't allow me to walk the dog or take her to doggy day care while the house is being shown (especially in an up market when there are lots of showings) and a crate is the only option. I certainly can't leave her roaming free with strangers in the house.

I do agree with other posters that a lot of "experts" say not to sell the house empty, but it does seem easiest and I've never met anyone who didn't like to look at empty houses.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:18 PM

20,964 posts, read 42,640,049 times
I've had about half and half - half of the people can't imagine their furniture in an empty house, and the other half can't imagine their furniture in a house that has anyone else's furniture in it. So you're darned if you do and darned if you don't, it seems, for half of the house buying population out there.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:10 PM

634 posts, read 1,496,235 times
Thumbs up Those are my top 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
When house hunting, what is your biggest pet peeve about somebody's house?

I've been to many showings and open houses over the years when I am house hunting and I see the same things over and over. It amazes me how many sellers still overlook such obvious things. People just don't seem to realize that their house should be presented in the best way possible (within reason & budget, of course). I'm not suggesting HGTV perfect, just give some attention to the easy to fix items.

Here's my pet peeves.............. They can be done at little to no cost, yet make a big difference.

1. A dirty house. (Come on folks! A little elbow grease goes a
long way and it is at no additional cost.)
2. Pet smells/ pet fur. (Folks, your house is for sale. Do you think the
stinky pet smells and fur imbedded in the carpet and furniture is a
selling point?) (This is not to suggest that some stuff can't be
overlooked, like a litter box.
I know fluffy and Fido live there, too. )
3. Clutter, clutter, everywhere. (I like my photos, plants and travel souvineers as much as the next person but how can a buyer see what a great house you have if everything is smothered with clutter. It makes a room look smaller, too.

What are your pet peeves about sellers homes???
These are simple things for sellers to deal with and so often they don't.
CLUTTER is a huge distraction.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM

897 posts, read 2,727,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I've had about half and half - half of the people can't imagine their furniture in an empty house, and the other half can't imagine their furniture in a house that has anyone else's furniture in it. So you're darned if you do and darned if you don't, it seems, for half of the house buying population out there.
Seems there is no pleasing anyone these days. I (me & DH) have bought (& sold) many homes. Can look around anyone's junk, wall color / wall paper, etc. Even bought a very gross foreclosed home about 15 years ago and it turned out to be the GEM of them all.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:35 PM

1,687 posts, read 2,882,333 times
Recently went to an Open House. We were not allowed to go into the finished basement because the dog was there. (Turned out it was 2 dogs). But the 3 cats were roaming the house.
We liked it & made an appt to go back. This time we again could not get into the basment because the dogs were there. My realtor called the listing broker to tell her that we needed to see the finished basement. The listing broke said the OWner told her the dogs would be out in the yard. So we went back - basement door still locked with dogs in there. That house is BEAUTIFUL, priced right, but been on market 10 months. Can anyone guess why it hasn't sold!?!

But generally, we have been really suprised at how dirty & cluttered most houses we have seen are. DOn't people know it is not a good market for Sellers? They should try to make their house as appealing as possible - the attitude we're finding seems to be "Take it or Leave it." And then they sit & sit & sit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate