Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 AM

607 posts, read 2,423,995 times

Advertisements

Hey; I have another REal Estate question.

Is there a cooling off period after signing on a house in NC??
In CA, you have seventeen days to change your mind without any penalty, what is the law in NC, does anyone know???

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 10:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,192,424 times
I'm sure one of the Agents on this board can give you a definitive answer to your question, but as a recent buyer here in NC, I don't recall there being a "cooling off" period like in some other states.

It is very confusing to me how real estate from state to state is handled so differently.

Are you going through buyer's remorse? I just ask because I did and had one stressful week after the sellers accepted our offer and we had a contract on the house we bought. I think it is very common for buyers to go through a period like this even when you have made the right decision on what house to buy. Although buying a house is a business transaction.... most of us can't help but get emotionally involved at some point or another.

My wife and I love the house we bought, but after we had a signed contract with the seller I suddenly started to worry that we may have made some kind of mistake even though it was everything we wanted, in the area we wanted, for a price we could afford.... don’t know why I was worried but I just was.... after a week or so the feeling went away and I was nothing but elated from that point on, and the house has felt like "home" the second we moved in!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:25 AM

Yes, I am having remorse. I got caught up in buying that weekend, so I wouldn't have to worry about coming back again house hunting. I put in a contingent offer based on us selling our house here in CA, they kicked it back, so I went against my better judgement and took that out, and we still haven't sold our house, and I am so nervous.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:44 AM

69 posts, read 259,751 times
Is your offer contingent upon an inspection or obtaining a loan? If so, then perhaps you can back out. California homes can take a very long time to sell. Ours took over 9 months.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:50 AM

43,028 posts, read 76,529,724 times
This is a legal question, and you should be advised by your attorney.
It is difficult for a Realtor to get involved in legal interpretation.

I suggest you read Section 22 of the Offer to Purchase and Contract and talk to your attorney and Buyer's Agent about how to proceed.

I'm sorry for your misgivings and stress. I hope it all works out for you.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
This is a legal question, and you should be advised by your attorney.
It is difficult for a Realtor to get involved in legal interpretation.

I suggest you read Section 22 of the Offer to Purchase and Contract and talk to your attorney and Buyer's Agent about how to proceed.

I'm sorry for your misgivings and stress. I hope it all works out for you.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It is maybe just a bad day. Heck I love the house, I love the area. I just need to have more faith in selling my house. I wouldn't back out anyhow, I would never do that to a seller, because I wouldn't want it done to me. I just had a panic attack. I know one day, I will be sitting on my front porch looking out at my nice front yard, drinking tea, and laughing at how stressed I was and how it all worked out in the end. It always does. Now I need to end this, I have to go take my prozac and valium.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 PM

43,028 posts, read 76,529,724 times
"I wouldn't back out anyhow, I would never do that to a seller, because I wouldn't want it done to me."

Relax, sit back, and watch your Reputation go up 1 point!

Old 02-12-2007, 04:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,136,501 times
I've had alot of people ask me this question and it stuck me as odd at the time. I've learned that alot of states do have some type of "resision" (spelling, please?) period. However, in North Carolina, when you buy property, you do not get 3 days or any days to change your mind once the contract has been signed by all parties.

And people wonder why I tell them to "sleep on it"! Yes, there IS buyer's remorse. Hopefully the feeling wil go away and you'll be thrilled with your decision.

Vicki

Old 02-12-2007, 08:10 PM

54 posts, read 216,529 times
It is normal to have buyer's remorse. I have it whenever I make a large
purchase. Try not to worry about it. It's really out of your hands now.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,725,897 times
Ok, I have to vent my frustrations with my understanding of how real estate contracts work there. It really does seem that the seller has more potection that the buyer. But the seller is the one holding all the cards. As a buyer how the heck am I suppose to know what repairs are needed to an old house w/out conducting an inspection by someone I hire. And why would I the buyer pay for an inspection before I write an offer (someone else could swoop in buy the house and I'm out the 500 for the inspection). I've spoken to a couple of realtors on the board about this. And they explained that we could put in a clause or contingency about repairs. Of course the seller has to agree to the repair amount too.

IMHO, they are the one's who live there, they know if there might be something wrong with the plumbing but as a buyer I just have to guess what I think is wrong with the house and estimate this repair amount in my contract. CRAZY!!! Sorry for the all caps. It seems a bit backwards to me. Then again, maybe I've been living with backwards and forwards now seems crazy to me. LOL!

But, it does seem like a bigger gambling buying an older house in NC because of the lack of cooling off or the inability for a buying to back out during the inspection phase because they didn't like what the inspection found.

I see why so many people buy NEW in NC. And I wonder if the developers associations lobby the real estate laws to give sellers more rights than buyers because it protects them AND eliminates some of their competition from the resales.

Where is Ralph Nader when you need him? (OK, yeah, I know I'll loose some rep points for bringing up Nader. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate