Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:52 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
What's your point??

Here are some variables that we don't know about.
1.) Is it a Short sale?
2.) Did the bank put it under market attempting to get more for it (lost leader).
3. ) Is the HVAC still present?? Did the past owners do damage?
4.) Mold (or in the North frozen pipes)??

Mike, have you ever looked at a great looking property on MLS with an aggressive price that is beat up (but looks good on paper)? Pick any town in the USA, I'll email you some jaw dropping "values". So if your picture was meant to offer proof, you would have to physically have visited that home and that specific neighborhood. I'm sure we can find some real beauties in Detroit area for $60K. So what.

Now. Maybe you live in an area like Lehigh Acres. I can show you some stunning deals for $80K. But there is a reason why no one wants to live there.

Mike. I've looked at several homes in Tampa, Venice, Punta Gorde, Naples, Fort Meyers, along the western coast. I looked in Jan of 07 for a week and in December of 08 for a few days. MY cup of tea is Naples. I'm very familiar with that white looking cabinets and so are you.

My check book is still closed. Those steals that I have looked at so far have turn into mold infested nightmares or with missing fireplaces. One nice Naples carrage home on golf courses enjoyed the "nuturing sounds of the interstate". Hey. Maybe you are right and that $119K home is typical and it is in a wonderful area. But I bet if I dig a little deeper, I'll find my reasons why this is at $119K. So go ahead and pass on that MLS #. Let's see what I find out about it.

Back to the initial dispute. You say replacing the filters resuts in dodging problems and planting $2 shrubs means quality landscaping. Now how can I debate that kind of logic? Your right. buy a 2007 home and it costs the same as renting.
My picture did offer proof that you were wrong and that the homes I am talking about are not built with lower end components.

It is a short sale and many of this model have sold around this price. This builder built quite a few in the area for investors and most never had anyone live in them. yes some may be missing the a/c and those are the ones that usually go for about $10,000 less.

What I said in the original statement was that regular maintnance can help keep things running right. And yes, if you know what you are doing you can buy low priced plants and have a property looking just about as good as someone who feels they need to buy $10,000 worth of landscaping.

I am not going to bother with the mls nor answer you further. I showed that the homes were not built with low end material like you said they were, unless you consider corian and wood cabinets low end.

At first I thought you were up north in an area that was alot more expensive. I now realize you just overpaid for many things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 03:00 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
My picture did offer proof that you were wrong and that the homes I am talking about are not built with lower end components.

It is a short sale and many of this model have sold around this price. This builder built quite a few in the area for investors and most never had anyone live in them. yes some may be missing the a/c and those are the ones that usually go for about $10,000 less.

What I said in the original statement was that regular maintnance can help keep things running right. And yes, if you know what you are doing you can buy low priced plants and have a property looking just about as good as someone who feels they need to buy $10,000 worth of landscaping.

I am not going to bother with the mls nor answer you further. I showed that the homes were not built with low end material like you said they were, unless you consider corian and wood cabinets low end.

At first I thought you were up north in an area that was alot more expensive. I now realize you just overpaid for many things.
wow, I was just reading the thread and decided to look at Weeki Wachee, FL on realtor.com since I never heard of it...there are so many homes for less than $50K, what is up with that? Were you guys hit really hard with the economic downturn or has housing always been really cheap there?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:11 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
What's your point??

Here are some variables that we don't know about.
1.) Is it a Short sale?
2.) Did the bank put it under market attempting to get more for it (lost leader).
3. ) Is the HVAC still present?? Did the past owners do damage?
4.) Mold (or in the North frozen pipes)??

Mike, have you ever looked at a great looking property on MLS with an aggressive price that is beat up (but looks good on paper)? Pick any town in the USA, I'll email you some jaw dropping "values". So if your picture was meant to offer proof, you would have to physically have visited that home and that specific neighborhood. I'm sure we can find some real beauties in Detroit area for $60K. So what.

Now. Maybe you live in an area like Lehigh Acres. I can show you some stunning deals for $80K. But there is a reason why no one wants to live there.

Mike. I've looked at several homes in Tampa, Venice, Punta Gorde, Naples, Fort Meyers, along the western coast. I looked in Jan of 07 for a week and in December of 08 for a few days. MY cup of tea is Naples. I'm very familiar with that white looking cabinets and so are you.

My check book is still closed. Those steals that I have looked at so far have turn into mold infested nightmares or with missing fireplaces. One nice Naples carrage home on golf courses enjoyed the "nuturing sounds of the interstate". Hey. Maybe you are right and that $119K home is typical and it is in a wonderful area. But I bet if I dig a little deeper, I'll find my reasons why this is at $119K. So go ahead and pass on that MLS #. Let's see what I find out about it.

Back to the initial dispute. You say replacing the filters resuts in dodging problems and planting $2 shrubs means quality landscaping. Now how can I debate that kind of logic? Your right. buy a 2007 home and it costs the same as renting.
The places you mentioned on Fla, I also would be leary of houses selling cheap as that is a much higher priced area compared to other areas of Fla.

comparing apples to oranges to prove a point?

tsk,tsk,

Old 07-30-2009, 03:41 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

Hummm.. You showed me a short sale with missing HVAC and a home you have never been in. So what else is missing??
So do you want me to show you a home that costs more with white cabinets that I never been in either in your fine town?

So a brand new home doesn't need anything else?? Just 30 shrubs at $2 each and a bag of seed for $88. you won't need to touch a thing for 15 years.

I know why you don't want to give me the MLS #.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The places you mentioned on Fla, I also would be leary of houses selling cheap as that is a much higher priced area compared to other areas of Fla.

comparing apples to oranges to prove a point?

tsk,tsk,

Travel to Naples before you comment. I'll point you toward a few dozen $60 per square foot properties. They might smell like mold but hey, it's cheaper than renting. The price of building and labor is about the same in both spots. You missed my point but what is new.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Travel to Naples before you comment. I'll point you toward a few dozen $60 per square foot properties. They might smell like mold but hey, it's cheaper than renting. The price of building and labor is about the same in both spots. You missed my point but what is new.
--" You missed my point , but what is new "---

Never was a point to begin with.

You're talking about $60 a sq fy houses in Fla that smell like mold and I'm talking about $110,000---$120,000 new houses that I have personally looked at in TN, AL, and AR.

No, didn't smell like mold, new houses,3bd 2ba double garage.

You are comparing run downs in FL with new houses elsewhere.

apples to oranges, but what is new ?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 PM

MN BORN--------do you think house prices in Edina MN would sell for the same price as houses in East Bethel MN even if they were similar ?

I don't, so I wouldn't compare apples to oranges )

Old 07-30-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--" You missed my point , but what is new "---

Never was a point to begin with.

You're talking about $60 a sq fy houses in Fla that smell like mold and I'm talking about $110,000---$120,000 new houses that I have personally looked at in TN, AL, and AR.

No, didn't smell like mold, new houses,3bd 2ba double garage.

You are comparing run downs in FL with new houses elsewhere.

apples to oranges, but what is new ?
You like to assume. Focus now. I'm not talking about run down homes. I'm talking about 2 year old homes in Naples FL or 2 year homes in Cape Coral FL etc. Guess what happens when you don't turn the air conditioning on for a summer??? You get mold! Guess why a lot of these homes are so cheap???? They are missing items, the past owners destroyed things, their is mold, etc. Sure there are deals. But you have to dig. A PICTURE IS MEANINGLESS on a lot of these MLS listings. It proves nothing.

So I'm saying I'll find you several dozen 2006-2008 homes in Naples at $60-$70 a foot. And when I do, there will be a story. That's why Mike didn't want to give the MLS # of the 2100 sq foot home of the one he pasted the picture. Maybe that one was $140K. Maybe it was a short sale that never ever will happen.

I've looked at properties in Cape Coral where 1 in 14 homes are in foreclosure. They are what we call garage packages in MN. Except these are all block garages with basic windows, white hollow doors and the most basic of everything. I'm not saying they are "bad" but they don't use any quality.

That all being said, the debate doesn't have anything to do other than cheaper homes don't last as long as homes with better quality. And there are a lot more things that go wrong as well as expenses than he is realizing. For Pete's sake: tossing in $2 shrubs and a bag of grass doesn't constitute landscaping. To what lengths are people spinning things to make their point. He is giving people who rent advice to buy and he is over simplifiy it to the nth degree!

To answer your other question. Renting a home in Edina is much higher than renting in East Bethel. It costs a lot more to buy a home in Edina than in east Bethel. So what is your point???

marmac. I don't think you are following the thread. You are too busy trying to build your post count and feedback to even read. Now go post in another 50 spots tonight and move on.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Hummm.. You showed me a short sale with missing HVAC and a home you have never been in. So what else is missing??
So do you want me to show you a home that costs more with white cabinets that I never been in either in your fine town?

So a brand new home doesn't need anything else?? Just 30 shrubs at $2 each and a bag of seed for $88. you won't need to touch a thing for 15 years.

I know why you don't want to give me the MLS #.
Lets see how many other words you can try and put in my mouth.

I never said this house had a missing A/C. I said that this one was listed at $119K and that if it was missing the A/C it would be about $10,000 less.
The homes I had mentioned before at $110K were the Jade model, this was the Jessica. If the Jade is missing the A/C they list them around $99K.

I also said I had been in many of similar homes meaning same builder, same model in same subdivision.

Of course you can find a more expensive home with no upgrades. What is your point? That does not take away from the fact that this home is not what you claimed it would be.

Here is the mls # 2107800.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
You like to assume. Focus now. I'm not talking about run down homes. I'm talking about 2 year old homes in Naples FL or 2 year homes in Cape Coral FL etc. Guess what happens when you don't turn the air conditioning on for a summer??? You get mold! Guess why a lot of these homes are so cheap???? They are missing items, the past owners destroyed things, their is mold, etc. Sure there are deals. But you have to dig. A PICTURE IS MEANINGLESS on a lot of these MLS listings. It proves nothing.

So I'm saying I'll find you several dozen 2006-2008 homes in Naples at $60-$70 a foot. And when I do, there will be a story. That's why Mike didn't want to give the MLS # of the 2100 sq foot home of the one he pasted the picture. Maybe that one was $140K. Maybe it was a short sale that never ever will happen.

I've looked at properties in Cape Coral where 1 in 14 homes are in foreclosure. They are what we call garage packages in MN. Except these are all block garages with basic windows, white hollow doors and the most basic of everything. I'm not saying they are "bad" but they don't use any quality.

That all being said, the debate doesn't have anything to do other than cheaper homes don't last as long as homes with better quality. And there are a lot more things that go wrong as well as expenses than he is realizing. For Pete's sake: tossing in $2 shrubs and a bag of grass doesn't constitute landscaping. To what lengths are people spinning things to make their point. He is giving people who rent advice to buy and he is over simplifiy it to the nth degree!

To answer your other question. Renting a home in Edina is much higher than renting in East Bethel. It costs a lot more to buy a home in Edina than in east Bethel. So what is your point???

marmac. I don't think you are following the thread. You are too busy trying to build your post count and feedback to even read. Now go post in another 50 spots tonight and move on.
How much money do you have to spend to make landscaping "landscaping"?

I didn't realize there was a price on it.

And what is the problem if it is a short sale. There have been enough of them sold (same model, same subdivision) to say that this one will probably sell at $115K-$119K.

I said it was listed at $119K and that is what it is listed at. You have continually maligned by words, isinuated that I am lying but you have shown nothing here except that you overspend when you don't need to and that you know nothing about my market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate