Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,183 times

Advertisements

Please people, ignore the big bad media. All is well, now is the perfect time to buy!

Real estate is local, so ignore what everyone else is saying and sign the damn contract!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 05:27 PM

945 posts, read 1,987,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
Please people, ignore the big bad media. All is well, now is the perfect time to buy!

Real estate is local, so ignore what everyone else is saying and sign the damn contract!
This post and picture shows exactly how ignorant some have become over the advise that it IS a good time to buy....! Do you honestly equate the 2? If one qualifies, has a decent down payment, and finds the home/community they will be happy to live in, then now IS a good time. Their is lots to choose from and great prices!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i respectfully disagree. i think i am going to kick myself for not buying 1 year from now.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
The stock market is dropping, car lots are piling up, foreclosures are getting worse, the unemployment is going to be bad this month.... read between the lines... its a good time to buy? Its only a good time to buy if you got money to waste... cause you could of gotten it cheaper... but what's a few thousand dollars between you and your realtor that tells you to buy....

Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM

28 posts, read 90,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i respectfully disagree. i think i am going to kick myself for not buying 1 year from now.
My sentiments but I feel like a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:55 PM

28 posts, read 90,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
... its a good time to buy? Its only a good time to buy if you got money to waste... cause you could of gotten it cheaper... but what's a few thousand dollars between you and your realtor that tells you to buy....
But isn't it well spent money because afterall, aren't they looking out for my best interests?

That's how I initially felt back in 2006 when I was advised to buy before it was too late and all the good deals were gone. Thank goodness that I did because afterall, all real estate is local and who better to know the marketplace than a bonafide Realtor!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
So now there is talk of nationalizing the banks. Do you think that will have an effect on RE prices and getting a mortgage ?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:47 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
The number of houses sold today are primarily due to distressed sales. (45% in Dec I think) Not sure I would equate that with "no sane person is buying" but the number is low and only due to dramatic price reductions are sales hanging in there at the moment. And hanging in there is close to on par to last years DISMAL numbers.

So sure it is funny to hear people go over the top but the situation overall is bad out there.
Don't foreclosures count as sales?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:35 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Sorry, my mistake. Please understand that I live in North NJ where prices are much steeper. We simply don't have houses on the market at that price. 130 gets you a small studio in a rough neighborhood.

I agree that I don't know a whole lot about your house.

Given the relatively low price, my guess is that you're in an area that didn't experience the housing bubble to the same extent that the rest of the country. The people who are saying "your prices are inflated by 30%" most probably live in places where prices are around 300-700, so they aren't talking to you.

If your place was offered within a reasonable commute from where I work, I would gladly pick it up for your asking price (maybe quite a bit more than that).

You're looking for your kitchen to not just sell it but also provide a hefty premium over what you paid (you didn't post when you bought it, so it's hard to comment on this). That might or might not happen -- but whether or not it does depends on market conditions, not the amount of $ you put in.

I don't follow why you want to sell the place in the first place though (espeically in this market). You seem to like the place, and you put nearly half the initial price into home improvement.
The reason I am selling is because my heart lives in Texas while my body is living in Pittsburgh. I should have given it more thought before I bought as to where I wanted to live long term. Live and Learn as the saying goes.

I'm not expecting only my kitchen to sell the house but it will definitely be the selling factor. High end (all wood-no laminate) hickory cabinets (not just normal cabinets--wine racks, pot drawers, slide out drawers, lazy susans, 2 corner cabinets with glass front, platter cabinet, pantry, tile floor and back splash, new appliances. Pocket glass door separating my Sun room from the kitchen/DR. In the DR there is hardwood (hickory) flooring and chair rail, with tile surrounding the hardwood and leading into the kitchen. Extended stationary lights over bar/sink area. There is also recessed lighting in the kitchen.
New roof, new front door, new interior doors throughout the main living area. Finished basement with wet bar and full bath. New carpeting throughout 1st floor (LR/bedrooms). New landscaping in front.
I actually think I paid too much for my house, but I had a crappy realtor who was in it for the commission. I bought it in 2001. If I could take my house and move it to TX, I would be a happy person--but I can't do that.
I live in a very nice suburb of Pittsburgh with a great school district. It is a very safe area, virtually no crime.
So that's my deal...
I'm having surgery tomorrow morning but after I recover, I will try to post some pics. (BEFORE and AFTER

Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Don't foreclosures count as sales?
From what I have gathered on city-data, most real estate agents believe that because the transaction takes place under slightly different circumstances, therefore it is completely irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate