Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:56 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,031,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
I don't recall anyone telling you two to buy a home..what is it to you if someone does. Everyone has a reason..Not everyone is buying a home to make a quick buck. Some folks just want a 'home'. We recently sold a home, obviously someone thought it was a good time to buy it. And we will be looking to buy another home soon. If we find a deal that suits US, then we will buy. If not, then we will wait. But please don't generalize everyone one here, it's not attractive.
Because unlike you, I actually care about other's and cannot stand back watching them make mistakes. Seems you have your own agenda....typical of most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 02:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,299,625 times
A lot of the problem here is that "this is the bottom" is getting called too often.

Does anyone have any fundamentals to back that up ?

I've read that when it does finally hit bottom then it will go into an "L" shape for a while before heading back up and then when it does it will be gradual.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:10 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,970,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Why pay $650K for what I just described when there will be plenty of 3BR/2BA homes for $550K or less by next year.

There is that crystal ball again..wish I had one of them thar thangies for me-self.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:30 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Because unlike you, I actually care about other's and cannot stand back watching them make mistakes. Seems you have your own agenda....typical of most people.
uh, NO AGENDA..just tired of you gloom and doom folks thinking for everyone else...it's not like we don't watch the news...I am actually quite an upbeat person and try to think of the positive. Do you really think anyone is going to listen for advice to a stranger...and if they do, well that's up to them. then again, folks on here are asking for advice, so whatever...

I come on this board for the friendships I have made and moral support during some tough times...

And you have a lovely evening..

Old 10-11-2008, 06:41 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,158,261 times
Quote:
Folks will take what they will, and hopefully do their research before buying (or not buying) anywhere.

Worry about yourself. you can't change what other people will or won't do.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:55 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,017,368 times
Sounds like, if anything, Dogmom's agenda is for her and her family, which is great. Purchasing a home, settling down, and relocating (if that is done) is a big step, and a personal one, i.e. their "own agenda". If you need other people to make your family's decisions, well, that's pretty sad.
And Heydade, can you truly say anyone buying a home these days is making a mistake? just because it's not right for you doesn't mean it's not right for everyone.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:15 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,463,927 times
I think if you want to buy a home now, its a very good time. Sure things might drop more or maybe they wont...who knows for sure. It depends on the area you are moving too. If you aren't buying a home to flip out and plan on staying there for a few years, then its as good of time as any. We want to buy now and in 3 years move to that location. It may be better in 6 months to buy there, but if we find something we really like why not as we will retire there. As someone said who has a crystal ball and knows for sure. We are going to where Dogmom moved from....hey dogmom hows it going?

Old 10-11-2008, 07:29 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I think if you want to buy a home now, its a very good time. Sure things might drop more or maybe they wont...who knows for sure. It depends on the area you are moving too. If you aren't buying a home to flip out and plan on staying there for a few years, then its as good of time as any. We want to buy now and in 3 years move to that location. It may be better in 6 months to buy there, but if we find something we really like why not as we will retire there. As someone said who has a crystal ball and knows for sure. We are going to where Dogmom moved from....hey dogmom hows it going?

Hey Chickrae..doing ok...are you still heading to the south part of the state? We are probably going to end up back there, just something smaller and less expensive, looking at coral canyon...later!

Old 10-11-2008, 07:37 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,463,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Hey Chickrae..doing ok...are you still heading to the south part of the state? We are probably going to end up back there, just something smaller and less expensive, looking at coral canyon...later!
We are for sure looking at Coral Canyon..... I love that place with the HOA only $44...its a deal! We have offers in on two short sales there, but put those in a month ago and haven't heard anything. I think it's gotten a lot worse there since you left. It was a good thing you sold your home when you did. That would be awesome if you moved back to that area. We are moving there March of 2012

Old 10-11-2008, 07:50 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,140,974 times
Quote:
Hey Heydade,

Believe me, I've gotten to know Dogmom through this forum and she has no "agenda". She does have an opinion (obviously different from yours) and she does care about other people. I think it's great that you want to help others. Just because someone has a different opinion than yours doesn't mean that they don't want to help others too.

Here's my 2 cents. If you can buy a house now for less than it would cost per s.f. to build it, including the land value, and land development costs, then in today's market that may be one way of looking at purchasing as a good deal.

If you want to keep your money in the bank, as savings, at 1-3% interest, and not take the risk of home ownership, then perhaps that's a good plan for you. However, there is risk while you rent as well. There are no tax deductions, you may be at the mercy of a landlord who can raise your rent at the end of your lease, if you are month-to-month, a landlord can decide he would rather rent to one of his friends, and kick you out. Landlords don't particularly care about energy saving upgrades if you the renter pay the utilities directly.

Just getting into an apartment carries a financial burden of sorts...i.e., first, last and security. You may never see that money again without litigation.

Another thought that could be considered is that interest rates may not stay this low forever. I think there are some smart, cautious and beneficial deals to buy/sell a home for both the buyer and the seller, that can be found in this market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate