Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 04:39 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,755,376 times

Advertisements

Business & Technology | Zillow cuts staff by 25 percent | Seattle Times Newspaper

Good riddance! I think that website is an invasion of privacy and would like the whole thing to go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 05:13 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
I like this site. I don't think this site is an invasion of privacy. They get most of their information from the County Records which are public and available on line.

What's the difference?

Old 10-17-2008, 05:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
We can now look forward to even worse "zestimates"

Old 10-17-2008, 08:21 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post

There's another service called Redfin that is similiar but in fewer markets.

Redfin announced layoff of up to 20% of their workforce.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,755,376 times
Quote:
Business & Technology | Zillow cuts staff by 25 percent | Seattle Times Newspaper

Good riddance! I think that website is an invasion of privacy and would like the whole thing to go away.

There's nothing illegal about Zillow. I just feel publishing the value of my house on a website - and allowing people to make comments about it without my permission - is an invasion of my personal privacy. I don't think it's ethical to create websites that list non-factual information about someones home online. It's legal, but that doesn't mean that I consider it ethical.

Truely, there isn't anything wrong with Zillow when people use it to estimate values of houses they're interested in (if they don't mind bad data). But it's when bosses look at their employees homes to estimate value, or brothers look at their sisters house, or parents look up the estimated value of their kids friends house, that you get ethical issues. Now these are all in how people use the site, but it's why I don't like it being there in the first place.

I think they should have an option to opt-out of publishing Zestimates and instead only publish the assessed data.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Zillow, and websites like it, use public information.

The Q/A thing is subject to abuse and can be manipulated to create a potential stigma.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
There's nothing illegal about Zillow. I just feel publishing the value of my house on a website - and allowing people to make comments about it without my permission - is an invasion of my personal privacy. I don't think it's ethical to create websites that list non-factual information about someones home online. It's legal, but that doesn't mean that I consider it ethical.

Truely, there isn't anything wrong with Zillow when people use it to estimate values of houses they're interested in (if they don't mind bad data). But it's when bosses look at their employees homes to estimate value, or brothers look at their sisters house, or parents look up the estimated value of their kids friends house, that you get ethical issues. Now these are all in how people use the site, but it's why I don't like it being there in the first place.

I think they should have an option to opt-out of publishing Zestimates and instead only publish the assessed data.
You can do almost the same thing with the county appraisal records which are online as well although you get the county appraised value.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:21 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
25%?

That's about how far off their zestimates are.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:49 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Default 25% lay-off of workforce?

That's fine with me. Based upon their data they have already "laid-off" 50% of my equity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate