Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:32 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times

Advertisements

and kristin, please feel free to decorate for the Holidays (if you do). Don't go over board and make it cluttered, but a house is usually beautiful with decorations.

Shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 04:25 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,359 times
I'd say put the house up for sale. People who are looking in Nov,Dec,Jan are looking to buy. You shouldn't get too many lookey loos when the weather is poor. Relo buyers will be out for the start of the new year, people who have taken new jobs (got the Dec 31st termination letter) will be looking and perhaps people looking for the last minute tax write off. Give it a go and be competitive. Have the house in excellent condition so it shines beyond the others. Good luck to you!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:51 PM

5 posts, read 15,269 times
I have been selling homes for 21 years and I would recommend that you list now. Price it correctly with a competent agent and it will sell. As stated by others, holiday shoppers are sincere - not just lookers. In addition many Sellers make the mistake of waiting till Spring to sell their homes when they "look better". Break out some Spring photos for your Realtor and take advantage of the lack of competition in the Holiday market. Good Luck.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:35 AM

276 posts, read 1,458,699 times
Thanks for the feedback! The house will look great decorated for Christmas, thanks for the suggestion.

We will be working on last minute projects in the hopes that we will be ready to list right before Thanksgiving.

Thanks again!

Old 11-05-2008, 08:47 AM

620 posts, read 1,951,054 times
I agree with many of the posters on here, put it up for sale. We are in the "buyers" category right now and MUST buy soon! I think the lookers during the holiday season are the ones that are ready to buy and are wanting to find a house to make a home. Some people will take their houses off the market thinking that there wont be many buyers, so you could actually have a better advantage if your house is priced well.

Good luck!

Old 11-05-2008, 03:27 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,385 times
Default Good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Yes. You'll usually get less showings during the holidays, but they'll all most likely be quality showings, as the tire-kickers usually aren't out and about.

Overall showings are down, but quality showings are still the same.
I agree that they'll be quality showings. I sold my house just between turkey day and Christmas. I think you get only serious buyers at that time of the year. Coincidentally, we're house hunting NOW--just before turkey day and probablly through Christmas. We're ready to buy NOW!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 AM

222 posts, read 877,751 times
I am getting frustrated looking for a house because some people are taking them off the market for the holidays, but we are still looking. We are living with the in-laws right now so I want to find something but we have looked at about 25 homes so far and they are listing them too high still and we just think to ourself, we will wait - the price will come down.

I would say to price your house as though you were the buyer looking for a good deal. Be reasonable with your "starting price". Everyone wants a deal so they are thinking of it as a "starting price" not the final price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate