Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:11 PM

202 posts, read 704,319 times

Advertisements

We are working hard getting our house ready to go on the market. However, I wonder if all our efforts will be for naught. My next-door neighbor has two dogs who like to bark whenever they see (sense) people. So every time I walk outside they start barking and they generally keep it up until a voice yells "Quiet" from the house. My husband, who used to own a dog, says they bark because they are chained most of the time. What will prospective buyers think as they walk on my new walkway to my clean and freshly painted front door and the dogs start barking at them? I found a device in a catalog that says it trains dogs not to bark by emitting a high pitched sound when they do bark. Can I buy that and put it in my tree (it looks like a birdhouse) or is that unethical somehow? BTW, I have never talked to this neighbor nor even know what he looks like. Will the dogs be the reason my house doesn't sell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 06:49 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I would talk with your neighbor first before doing anything like that.

Yes some people don't buy houses because of barking dogs, but I never understood that rationale since your neighbors can change.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:14 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
Depends on who is looking at your house, I suppose..we have dogs, but our dogs are not chained outside, which is really cruel to begin with, and we can control them. On the other hand, we have lived next door to barking dogs, dogs who bark at their shadow, the moon, whatever. Yeah it could be a dealbreaker. You should try to speak with your neighbor about it, but listen, if they chain their dogs up, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Are they out in the front yard where they see folks coming up your walk, is there a fence between your property All those things come into play..personally any house we buy next you better bet I am checking over the fences to see what's there.

Your best bet is to speak with the neighbor, gosh then I think i would call animal control and report the dogs being chained up. Never understood folks who have dogs just to chain them up..criminy.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:44 AM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
Wouldn't it be great if everyone took into consideration how their neighbors felt once in a while, regardless of the issue.

I feel for you. It's always tough approaching a person you don't know about an issue when you have no idea how they will respond.

I had a former neighbor whose yard was a mess. When I had to sell my house, I was worried about how her property would affect mine. Three days after I listed my house, while mowing my lawn, I decided to just go ahead and mow hers too. Trimmed it and blew off the clippings while I was at it.
When she came home, she came over and thanked me. She told me she knew it was me because I always took care of my yard and figured I was worried about her yard looking so bad. I admitted this was true. She promised to do a better job while my house was for sale but did ask if I could give her a hand occassionally because she was working so much. I figured it was a small price to pay to sell my house.

The dog issue is a little different, I know. I'd try talking to them and explain that you are concerned that you may not be able to find a buyer if folks are put off by their dog. Be VERY tactful and diplomatic. Some folks just don't realize how their pet impacts others. If they are at work during the day, they may not know what a pest the dog is.

I feel for any animal that is chained up, away from it's family. It has to be a terribly lonely, depressed dog. Can you give it some attention or take it for a walk if the owner can't or won't for some reason??? Sounds silly but some owners just can't keep up with the responsibilities of some pets and might appreciate your concern and willingness to help. It might help the dog to settle down.

Also, ask the dog's owner if they would agree to take the dog into the house when there is a scheduled showing. Heck, I'd load it in the car and take it to the park myself if I was trying to sell my home.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:57 AM

830 posts, read 2,711,437 times
Just to let you know, I bought a house between two houses with dogs - one that had two dogs barking at me as I approached, and a quiet old dog in the yard if the house on the other side.

I said "Oh, good, a dog-friendly neighborhood!".

If I'd seen no sign of animal people, I would probably have been less likely to buy it. I would never want to live with that.

It took those dogs a week or so to get to know me and now they only bark at me if I arrive in a weird way - like with a big box in my hand. And they do bark for strangers, which is nice since my dog would never do that and it's good to have someone around who does.

Now a chained dog is another thing entirely, but I do think you could talk to neighbors first. Asking them to bring the dog during showings is a reasonable thing.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
I live in an HOA of single family homes. There are more than 300 dogs in this sub division and most of them have the run of their property (.3-.99 acre home sites) and rely on electronic fences to contain their pets. Many of the dogs are barkers and barking is infectious.

Neighbors generally do not like to confront neighbors and instead complain to the HOA board. The #1 complaint is about excessive dog barking. The HOA defers to the village and encourages calling the Police ( not 911) about barking. It works.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:55 AM

Bigcats,
Thanks for letting me know that some people don't mind barking dogs. They don't seem to be bad dogs--not vicious or anything. Part of my problem is that I am uncomfortable around dogs so I am not going to be the one befriending them. I don't think talking to the neighbors will give me great results, but I supposed it should be tried.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibutiej View Post
Bigcats,
Thanks for letting me know that some people don't mind barking dogs. They don't seem to be bad dogs--not vicious or anything. Part of my problem is that I am uncomfortable around dogs so I am not going to be the one befriending them. I don't think talking to the neighbors will give me great results, but I supposed it should be tried.
Toss a big bag of burgers over the fence when you have a showing... ???

Just kidding, sort of...

Heck I mowed a high lawn across the street from an open house one time...

Old 11-06-2008, 09:05 AM

Hey Mike, great idea! I'll get my realtor to deal with the dogs.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibutiej View Post
Hey Mike, great idea! I'll get my realtor to deal with the dogs.
Tell your realtor that I suggest aged Angus beef...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate