Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:00 PM

204 posts, read 876,583 times

Advertisements

Dont you love how someone walks into a crowded room and throw a grenade right in the middle and promptly exits? JBrown, interesting how you asked for some information but have not shown the courtesy to respond.

I won't belabor this thread any further. I believe some of the Real Estate Professionals have already responded well beyond what was asked in a very polite and respectful manner. I hope that you got the answer you were looking for.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:09 PM

353 posts, read 1,021,073 times
Personally, I would like to be paid on an hourly basis as I work, to be put toward an eventual commission.

What about buyers who drag you out for weeks, call during dinner, call at the last minute so you put off plans or tell the kids you can't come to the little league game... and then walk into an open house COLD and buy it on the first visit from a competitor? You earn nothing.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:40 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
Personally, I would like to be paid on an hourly basis as I work, to be put toward an eventual commission.

What about buyers who drag you out for weeks, call during dinner, call at the last minute so you put off plans or tell the kids you can't come to the little league game... and then walk into an open house COLD and buy it on the first visit from a competitor? You earn nothing.
You probably p.o'd them off and didn't feel as though you were doing anything positive for them! That's why they bolted lol!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:22 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
Default Part II.....

I'm reluctant to do this but now that the dust has settled...OK ...here goes.
I never expected so many responces so this reply is not going to be a snippy 2 or 3 sentences.
I will also add right up front that with a few exceptions you all have confirmed what I presumed.

Quite a number of comments have been made that somehow, because I havn't been on here on a regular
basis, arguing back and forth with the various posts;that that somehow indicates that I'm a grenade thrower,
a troll, not seious,or what ever. Of course at the beginning of this thread there were also a number of
posts that accused me of just wanting to start an argument and I'm just a troll because this topic has been
covered many many times before. Seems to me it's a no win situation. I suspect it has a lot more to do with
the fact that I was critical of a sacred cow as opposed to the content of the message. After all,very few
comments actually attempted to dispute any of my numbers. Therefore...
I'm forced to conclude that the angry mob mentality against the "man behing the curatin' has a lot more to
do with saving face than the actual facts of the matter. .....That attitude dosen't surprise me at all.

A few folks provided links to similiar previous posts (sometimes their's) to support their claim
of "we've done this before.....Therefore... just move on.
I actually followed those links and I coud be wrong but they never really discussed the dollars and cents
of the issue. They all justified the commisions by way of their professional expertise, knowing how to
"close the deal, "avoiding "pitfalls" and of course the ever popular great communication skills that
they bring to the party.
It's pretty tough to verify those things over a keyborad but I can address the " communication skills"
issue. Many of you jumped at the chance to "inform" me that my example of 5% wasn't a realistic
representation of how the commisions were actually split.etc etc etc. .... NO DUH !!!
To all those who spent any time rehashing that point let me direct you to my OP in which I said

"BTW...we All know how the commissions are split and that there's over head at the brokers office.. "

Now I know exactly what happened..As you read down my OP you got the jist of it and got your undies
in a wad and couldn't wait to send off your rebutal. The point here is that if you had actually read/heard
what was being said instead of skimming thru so you could show me how I was wrong, you wouldn't have
bothered with a reply of that kind. Everyone who has ever bought/sold a property thru
a realtor knows how that typicaly works. The fact that you didn't pay any attention to what you were reading
speaks volumes about your "communication skills" . And ,,,,,I'm not surprised at all about that either.

HINT: Reading or listening has nothing to do with waiting for a
pause in the conversation so you can shout out what you think you need to say to defend your "position".

A few posts IMO were just snarky because the reader was put off with the fact that someone would actually
have the hubris to ask for a numerical justification for the fees paid.
Well guess what...In the real world most people have to justify their expenses on a given project. I
have to do it on a regular basis. I'm trying to picture myself at a 9:00 AM project review. Project managment
and some engineering staff are there. I show up with no laptop, no PowerPoint presentation, no nothing.
Instead after the admin brings coffee etc I tell the meeting room that I'm a professional, I've been
doing this for 25+ years, I know what I'm doing and etc. I then announce that I don't have any slides
or documentaion regarding my previous success with me to support my claims but if they ask around
they'll find out I'm well worthwhat I'm asking. The people at the conference table would look at each
other, then at me,and then back at each other again. They would politely thank me and the admin
would asscort me to my car Time ?? About 9:10................... I'll never hear from them again.
That's a made up scene of course but that's exactly what would happen if I tried to float the same
kind of BS justification that most responders here expect others to swallow.

A few posters let me know I have no clue about what I'm talking about. A short anecdote if you'll indulge.
My X mother and father inlaw were both RE agents. She full time/he part. The broker they worked for I
knew well. Her daughter and my wife lived next door to each other since 3rd grade...they had been close for
many years . We all attended each others cook outs, birthdays etc...My Ex was persuaded into attending
RE class at the local community collage since I was going to be taking a Coast Guard Navigation Course
( lower boat Insurance rates). My class got out about 45 minutes before hers so I a would slip in and
sit in the back of her class. At a family "event" I commented that the RE class was mind nummingly dull
The RE crowd there got a little testy and challenged me to take the course test and if I was so smart and
passed it they would reimburse me the course fee. I didn't accept untill they also included to pay
for my navigation course. Near the end of the course I went to the RE instructer and explainded I wanted to
pay for the course...I'd been following along etc.He knew I'd been "sitting in" but was reluctant .I
continued chatting and worked on my check book asking how much is the course fee ??. I paid, and for
the next few nights I studied the course materials. I took the test and passed...and my inlaws paid off..
I was never willing to spend my time on phone duty at the brokers office and I let the license
lapse some time ago.

What to make of that story? TRUE BTW. Well it's not that RE people are stupid and I'm much smarter.
..I don't believe that...in most cases. What I take from it is that if I can sit down and spend a couple of
evenings pouring over a 'study guide" etc and then take a test and pass it first time...well folks
it just ain't all that tough !!... Now pause for a minute and unwad your undies again.I know that
passing a test alone has little determination upon wether a person will be a good ,or a succesfiul agent.
That's obvious , it's not part of this discussion and I don't need to hear the same lame retoric all over again..

Lastly,there were IMO a couple of posts that seriously attempted to clarify some of the finacial factors and
explain to me some of the expenses I may have overlooked. So be it.
I'm going to address them in a followup because this thing is running long.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:37 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
As I stated in my first post, you are just here to argue and I have seen it in your other posts. You say that you stated that you know that the commission is split yet still refer to the full amount when asking for justification on why an agent should earn that much.

All I am going to say is that there are many different business models available that you can choose from. The cost ranges from no cost (FSBO) on up through the flat fees, hourly and commission based.

It is your choice which you choose, so in effect you choose how much to pay. You chose FSBO. Are you angry that your home is not getting shown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate