Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,924,291 times

Advertisements

I came across this article. Scroll down to the bottom to read it.
Think. It keeps your mind healthy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 08:18 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,907,844 times
beckycat - The blogger that your link points to has stated the mitigating conditions that may help to shorten the projections on the length of time we will be enduring this current housing down turn. Population growth in America is currently out pacing new home construction.
The US census estimates that in 2007 there were 128 million housing units with only 111 million occupied. The census doesn't make quality, desirability or habitability judgements on the existing housing units. So while some areas will see a shortage in housing it would appear that other areas may be over-supplied for years.
I think the challenge we have in the near term is how to put construction resources to work in sustainablility projects in the existing neighborhoods.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:32 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,653,113 times
Wow, the blogger makes it all sound so rosy!

Sounds like he expects a v type recovery (which we all know will happen, right?....right?......anyone?)

And he says the housing market is near the bottom. Oh really? That's what realtors and sunshiners have been saying for over a year now. Even w/record amounts of inventory, we're "near the bottom"? And since we have SO MANY qualified buyers, that inventory is going to be snatched up quick, right?....right?

Amazing how people are so clueless......

Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,451,508 times
Before an oversupply of housing in any area can be absorbed, there has to be an equal oversupply of jobs nearby.

I think some areas will go new construction ghost town before they find families to fill all those homes.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:17 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,985,644 times
"House prices are going to go up"

That should make our great great grandchilden happy, assuming it happens in time for them to see it.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:23 PM

261 posts, read 952,021 times
We are in the process of buying a house and we have looked at over 50 houses in the last 4 months. What I noticed in the last 3 weeks is that house prices would drop, we would watch ones that met our criteria, then the price would jump back up to the previous price drop or even go above. My question is, why are they raising the prices? If it didn't sell at X, why would it sell at X+X?

We have found our dream home and with our fingers crossed, we sign P&S on Saturday and then close in December!

Old 11-13-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aomething View Post
We are in the process of buying a house and we have looked at over 50 houses in the last 4 months. What I noticed in the last 3 weeks is that house prices would drop, we would watch ones that met our criteria, then the price would jump back up to the previous price drop or even go above. My question is, why are they raising the prices? If it didn't sell at X, why would it sell at X+X?

We have found our dream home and with our fingers crossed, we sign P&S on Saturday and then close in December!
Any chance they were listed by Coldwell Banker?

They had a gimmick *cough* *cough* I mean sales event run for 10 days where they would drop the price roughly 10% and raise it again..

If you've been following the house, you know where the price drop was and be aggressive off of that.....anytime people do stuff like this they are desperate to sell and weren't aggressively priced from the beginning

good luck

Old 11-13-2008, 04:05 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,985,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Any chance they were listed by Coldwell Banker?

They had a gimmick *cough* *cough* I mean sales event run for 10 days where they would drop the price roughly 10% and raise it again..

If you've been following the house, you know where the price drop was and be aggressive off of that.....anytime people do stuff like this they are desperate to sell and weren't aggressively priced from the beginning

good luck
And you would think that in almost all cases (REO / short sale maybe different) they would be willing to sell for the lower price, even if it has since been raised back up.

Last edited by Austin-Willy; 11-13-2008 at 04:48 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
And you would that that in almost all cases (REO / short sale maybe different) be willing to sell for the lower price, even if it has since been raised back up.
Well, that too...I wouldn't be surprised if it was bank owned....

Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,782,912 times
From the blog: Weather we are in a recession or not, basic consumption is never going to go away.
Poor Haitians Resort to Eating Dirt
Prowling for Essential Goods for Zimbabwe's Black Market - washingtonpost.com
"There's no mealie meal in the stores," she said, referring to the finely ground cornmeal used to make sadza, the porridge that is Zimbabwe's staple food. The smallest bag costs 12 million Zimbabwean dollars on the black market, more than her weekly earnings,

From the blog: This basic consumption is what is going to drive the economy from the scratch.
Business | Zimbabwe Leader On His Way Out? -- As Economy Declines And Woes Mount, Many Wonder If Mugabe Can Endure | Seattle Times Newspaper
"We have destroyed our credibility in international financial circles," said John Robertson, an independent economist who analyzes Zimbabwean politics.
"They underestimate the capacity of the ruling party to hoodwink the populace," Makumbe said. "The ruling party still has heaps of bones to throw to the people."

DOES THIS SOUND FAMALIAR?
US May Lose Its 'AAA' Rating - General * Europe * News * Story - CNBC.com
Dow Drops 411 Points After Paulson Changes Bailout Plan - BusinessWeek

It's hard to right a sinking ship.

Kevin Phillips's warning: "Most great nations, at the peak of their economic power, become arrogant and wage great world wars at great cost, wasting vast resources, taking on huge debt, and ultimately burning themselves out."

From Eisenhower's farewell speech:
Throughout America's adventure in free government, such basic purposes have been to keep the peace; to foster progress in human achievement, and to enhance liberty, dignity and integrity among peoples and among nations.

To strive for less would be unworthy of a free and religious people. Any failure traceable to arrogance or our lack of comprehension or readiness to sacrifice would inflict upon us a grievous hurt, both at home and abroad.

Progress toward these noble goals is persistently threatened by the conflict now engulfing the world. It commands our whole attention, absorbs our very beings. We face a hostile ideology global in scope, atheistic in character, ruthless in purpose, and insidious in method. Unhappily the danger it poses promises to be of indefinite duration. To meet it successfully, there is called for, not so much the emotional and transitory sacrifices of crisis, but rather those which enable us to carry forward steadily, surely, and without complaint the burdens of a prolonged and complex struggle – with liberty the stake. Only thus shall we remain, despite every provocation, on our charted course toward permanent peace and human betterment.

Eisenhower's Farewell Address to the Nation

I think Eisenhower was psychic. I know, he's talking about communism ("Better to be atomized than communized!") but it's funny how his words ring true, today.

We are fighting a war on Drugs and Terror. We are fighting people who want to get high and we are fighting an ideology.

I've been to Iraq - twice - for two years. I've seen the "war on terror." Many people I've talked to over there have the same take on it as me,:Get the hell out, let them kill each other, let another dictator take over and it will calm down. That's gonna happen anyway, once we leave.
When you ask a soldier why he's in Iraq, he says "No freaking clue." He may then follow up with "To liberate the Iraqi's."

We are liberating them at the end of a rifle barrrel. Ummmm....

Ummmm.....

Same as the war on drugs. People are gonna get high. People can't stand their crappy life. Hello? Prohibition didn't work!

Oh man, Gotta stop typing. Went out on a weird tangent.

Back on subject, the author of that blog is in dreamland and I wish I was there, too. Too bad...I bet it's nice there with all puppies and rainbows and candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate