U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,812,243 times

Advertisements

Thanks...lot's to think about. Lacey, we also drive back and forth...1200 miles. Dh loves to drive, hates to fly. And Dogmom, yes, NY is too expensive to stay here. We looked into further upstate, but we wouldn't be able to retire there...the taxes are too high. We will be living on only social security when we retire, so we need to be able to have a garden, and enough property to raise beef, have some chickens, learn to can, etc., for extra income and for self-sufficiency. We can do that in Missouri, and the taxes are low. $35/yr in MO, as opposed to close to $7,000 in NY and rising. I'm 52 and DH is 56, so we will be working for awhile longer. We used a HELOC to buy the MO property, and build a small garage apt. We also have a mortgage on the NY house. All three adult kids live with us here in NY. They pay a small rent to help us with the HELOC. Anyway, if we move, I will definitely miss them. I'm one of those stupid moms who never wanted the kids to move out!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,042 posts, read 7,882,858 times
Tambre,
Why MO? What is pulling you there? Have you thought about sitting down with your children and discussing a place where all of you would want to live?

I have a feeling come moving day for me, I will be sad about moving to Texas because all of my family lives within an hours drive from me, with the exception of my sister who lives in Tampa and a brother who lives in Western NY. But I can no longer deal with Winter and the depression that goes along with it. I need the sun and I need the lifestyle of Texas.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:57 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,812,243 times
Hi Texas,

My dh and I drove to West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Missouri...all places where we could afford to retire. We did alot of searching on the internet, and then made short driving trips to look around. We fell in love with the land and lifestyle in Missouri...we will be near Springfield, MO for work. It's a city of about 150,000 and is predicted to grow to near 1 million in the next decade. We are far enough away (45 minutes) to commute, but also to be spared the sprawl. There are four seasons there, but the winters are shorter! The winters here in NY are too long, and I can totally relate to SAD. I usually go into a depression at Thanksgiving and am just starting to recover now with the increasing daylight hours, and the hope that Spring is now less than 3 months away. We have a "neighbor issue" here. It's a long story, but we need to move, unequivocally. So you are making the same difficult choice about moving away from family, to where you would thrive. Guess it is a balance, but thinking again about a third destination might not be a bad thing.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:01 AM

2,766 posts, read 3,492,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Yes it was all grass..actually it was all weeds in the back when we bought it, there was an overgrown gardent that had to be dug out, lots of work, we had one heck of a burnpile going for a while..hubby got himself a john deer lawn tractor, it was an all day job but he had retired so he loved it. We had several dozen fruit trees, cherry, apple, plum, pomegranites..i never realized how good that fruit was until we were gone..

The guy next to us had a huge pond and had white geese. Hubby had those geese trained to come running when he opened up our garage door in the mornings..he always took a couple pieces of bread out there and they came sqwaking. Dieter, their owner, didn't believe it until he saw it. I mean, those geese would come RUNNING..i miss the geese..I am rambling..

Anyway Lorrie, would hubby move back? You have to do the pros and cons of moving I guess...he works at home, right? Or am I confused?

I don't know that we are doing the absolute right thing..how do you know that..but we are happy to be going 'home'. and i know how you feel, we Californians are Californians forever...on the other hand, lots of folks move on and make happy lives..yes I am rambling but I do know exactly what your are talking about..hang in there girl and do some thinking..
Yes Barb he works from home but the main office is in FL. When we lived in Ca he did the same thing when he got the job. We can live anywhere as long as it is close to the airport. Gary had a great job before this. He was president for many years there but the stress was way to much. So when he turned 60 he flew to FL to interiew for this job. The Co that he had been working for asked him to stay for a few months which he did. They took him right on the spot and for a year he worked in CA. We decided then to move to fL for many reasons one of them being working with his people and getting to know th CEO. That was the only thing in FL that was good. So here we are in NC close to the airport ( about an hour away). Gary has been in this business for over 40 years. That is why we moved so many times climbing up the ladder..

Old 02-01-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Morning all-Barb that home and view was gorgeous.

Lorrie this was a mistake for us also-I have to get closer to my grands and kids. This house is perfect and we love it but also hate being sofar away.

Hammy what is wrong with people-so sorry you have to do all that.

Painter this is the one.

Mr. L has declared that from now on the showing agent has to call 10 min prior to showing up.

Lacey I am glad i am not alone. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Old 02-01-2009, 11:08 AM

6,196 posts, read 3,313,413 times
wOW so much talk this Super Sunday. Well I don't think the showing went well, they were only here for about 15 mins, 5 of which they stood in the yard waiting on their dog to pee! Yep they brought there dog into the house, I wouldn't do that to someone else. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Anyway, I left the survey and inspections on the counter for them and they didn't look at them sooooo..........not feeling any good vibes here. But hey at least someone looked, right? Okay I am gonna go dirty up the kitchen, lol, we skipped eating so I would not have to clean it again!

Pros vs Cons - I will through this one out, everyone I know that moved away from their kids all regret and are trying to move back home now. Think long and hard about it.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
Well......I have news. I got a call from my agent last night at 10:30. We were all fast alseep but she said that she had to call me. She said that the buyers agent had just called her and told her that the buyers made their decision and they are meeting this afternoon (Sunday) to write the offer....ON MY HOUSE!!!!!!! He told my agent he would let her know as soon as the offer is written.

So I am praying it is a good one and we can get this puppy sold!

Kristine

I am so very happy for you Kristine.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Dogmom, Lacey, Lorriem and Crazyma,

You ladies are making me doubt my decision to move to Missouri from NY....yes, we will leave our adult kids behind (they are invited to come with us). We don't have grandkids at present, but it sounds like although you found great places to live, it all doesn't matter if you are not near your family...? This is a big worry of mine. I really can't afford to stay where I am, and who's to say the kids won't relocate, anyway. You got me thinking, and doubting my decision. It's also such a tough time to sell a house, and it gives one too much time to think about moving! Yikes, am I going to want to sell and move back soon, and then not be able to.
Tambra we had it all figured out. They would come for Xmas or whenever they wanted but both teenage boys are in major sports and the get benched if they miss practice. We visit two to three times a year but it is not the same. I miss doing the samething with my graddaughter that I did with the boys at her age. Are you moving cross country i didn't think you were. I also miss my home state not the state I grew up in NY but CA since I lived there for so long.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Texas I got out of the shower, grabbed clothes and just realized I have on black and gold! Go Steelers. Have a ball today.

Tambre-we thought this was a good idea and financially at the time it was. Should have followed my first instinct and looked in NC first as that gets us closer to them all. As I've said we love our home-we will never be lucky enough to duplicate it, our town has everything, everything but good friends and family.

Need opinions all-after yesterday's debacale with the showing we are considering that any more showings the agent has to call 10 min prior to showing up. What do you think?

Painter we are all on the edge of our chairs here.

Lacey at least 10 min. You might be in the shower or potty or in your black and gold robe.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Thanks for the thought process Dogmom...it helps. We are still in NY and haven't moved to Missouri yet, but are planning to.

It just sounds like a bunch of you moved, and now want to move back. Lacey, you moved to Minnesota, have the perfect house, but want to move closer to family in NJ, I think? Dogmom, you tried Utah, but were too far from family, and now want to move back to Cal., Lorriem, you moved to Fl, and are now in NC, but are you happy, or do you want to move again?...sorry, some of these might be confused. And Crazyma, you spend alot of time travelling to Atlanta...are you thinking of moving closer? Painter, you are moving to be closer to DD in school?

My kids can't afford to live here in NY, unless they live in a slum area with a bunch of friends in an apartment. They could afford to live in Missouri, buy a house or rent a nice place, but they have no interest in living there. My gut is telling me don't move...my heart and mind are telling me move.
I thnk we should have chosen a state closer to CA. Hubby asked mme but he has always wanted to move near Boone NC. He had customers in Boone IRC that he had done business with for so many years and he got to know the area. So inaway I did it for him. He did give me an open though and we could have moved closer to CA.
Our daughter and husband cannot afford Ca anymore. The took out and interest only loan a few years ago on top of a 2nd so when their house went up to $600,000 all was well. Now it is worth $395,000 lesthen tey even paid for it and they re about $200,000 upside down. The interest only stops in 20010 so I have ni idea what they will do. All those 2nds were taken out for the boys travel leagues and they do a few extra sports that costs $$$ not this year plus dd when they moved in replaced all the windows another$$$$ and then they added a fence. Son in law has a good job and has always worked for them he goes all over the world to set up electronic sales but it pays no where what he is worth. His dad has worked also for a co he worked for all of is working life also. Son in law took the safe route and now he is sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate