Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:17 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering what's acceptable. I like to go all out and put alot of decorations up. Is that considered clutter to ppl looking? Should I just keep it simple and put the tree up? We do several blow-ups and lights outside though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 09:28 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
No blow ups! Those are bad enough when your house is not on the market. As a buyer I can look past a tree, but if you have a whole storage shed worth of junk everywhere I will have a hard time. I am not an easily distracted buyer.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:36 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
beckycat, I like homes listed during the holidays to be decorated. I would be simple and elegant in decorations though. Unless you are in a family friendly neighborhood, then go the whole banana... chances are the folks looking at your house have small ones too and want it : )

Buy typically, I would stay away from the blow ups, they make your yard look smaller. Do feel free putting up lights, your tree(s), etc. for everything you put up, though, take something out and away. You don't want to look cluttered. You want your home to feel like it can handle the decorations easily.

Good Luck!!

shelly

Old 11-28-2008, 09:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
What they said - no blow ups. In staging a home for resale, less is more. This doesn't mean don't decorate, but simple and elegant and minimal is the way to go. A tree, a wreath on the door, tasteful lights (multi-colored is fine if that's your thing), but remember that they need to see the house in order to want to buy it. If what you put up gets in the way of their being able to see the house, not the decorations, it needs to go.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Even if the blow-ups are only on at night? One thing I also thought about, if you sell it's just one more thing to have to pack away along with everything else. I think I'll keep it light this year.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:18 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
during the day (when the house will be shown) the blowups lay on the ground like limp balloons!!! not the prettiest sight. IF you had blowups, they need to be ON when showing. Otherwise it isn't very pretty : ) in my very humble opinion.....

shelly

Old 11-28-2008, 10:27 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I think the key is go for "mainstream" -- you get too much of anything, or too extreme a 'theme' and people get distracted. Same goes for people that collect memorabilia - from Disney stuff, to Coca cola, to breweries, to sports/ vehicles I have seen houses that have EVERY WALL covered with some kind of reminder of what a homeowner values.

With Christmas decorating you can quickly get into some touchy areas, race & religion are kind of taboo. Anything too far from the mainstream does not show well...

Old 11-28-2008, 11:09 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,755,376 times
I don't see anything inherently wrong with decorating for Christmas. Your house probably won't be shown much anyway during the next month, and if you have little ones, you want every Christmas to be grand and special for them. Unless moving is a "must do" right away, I'd take the chance the house might sit on the market for a couple extra months rather than sacrifice a special Christmas for myself or my kids.

My suggestion is to decorate all you want between now and Christmas, then take everything down promptly on the 26th. I think many more people will look in the first of the year after the holidays, and you'll want to have everything looking normal before people start looking.

I don't see anything wrong with blow-ups in the yard when they aren't on. Yes, they are limp ballons but Christmas is about decorating our house and doing things that are unusual.

I think the bigger thing is you will want your house to be tidy, clean, and organized, which is hard around the holidays. But you will want everything looking clean.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
I don't see anything inherently wrong with decorating for Christmas. Your house probably won't be shown much anyway during the next month, and if you have little ones, you want every Christmas to be grand and special for them. Unless moving is a "must do" right away, I'd take the chance the house might sit on the market for a couple extra months rather than sacrifice a special Christmas for myself or my kids.

My suggestion is to decorate all you want between now and Christmas, then take everything down promptly on the 26th. I think many more people will look in the first of the year after the holidays, and you'll want to have everything looking normal before people start looking.

I don't see anything wrong with blow-ups in the yard when they aren't on. Yes, they are limp ballons but Christmas is about decorating our house and doing things that are unusual.

I think the bigger thing is you will want your house to be tidy, clean, and organized, which is hard around the holidays. But you will want everything looking clean.
This is what my hubby is saying. We don't "have" to sell, but would like to. I'm going to try to be as tasteful as possible. The way the market is though, I want to be ready.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:21 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
I'm with you. Christmas is a special and exciting time for kids. No reason they have to suffer because some buyer might not like your very temporary deflatable removable outside decorations. Trust me, if they can't get past that, they'd find something else to moan about and not purchase the house anyway. Enjoy your holidays...that's what they're for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate