Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 02:55 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times

Advertisements

Question if anyone has dealt with this.

I know someone who filed Chap 13 bankruptcy.

They are no longer able to make the scheduled payments as laid out by the Chap. 13 bankruptcy.

I have found someone to buy their property and the proceeds would be enough to satisfy all outstanding debts.

They were told by their attorney that they could not sell the property.

A little background. The attorney is legal aid or equivalent. The attorney is also heavily involved in buying distressed properties.

I don't know if this has any bearing on this but wanted to include it in case someone thought it had anything to do with the answers they are getting.

I would have thought that if they could sell and satisfy all debts that they would be allowed.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 03:42 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,979 times
The attorney is generally correct. The bankruptcy court seizes all of the debtors possessions (usually only assets, things that have a title) when bankruptcy is filed and holds them in trust for the creditors. The creditors then have to petition the bankruptcy court to release them.

You didn't say if there was a mortgage on the property, but I'm assuming not. If not, then your client can petition to the court to allow the house to be sold and pay off all debt. The bankruptcy court will want to make sure it is sold at fair market value. I don't know the court will care if the house is sold as less than fair market but all other debts are paid off. They should be happy with that, but I don't know.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:53 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
I just worked with a clients bankruptcy and the sale of her house. I'm not sure if she was chapter 13 or 7, but she was paying to the court. We sent the offer to the attorney. the attorney submitted the offer with a net sheet to the judge assigned to the case. It can take up to 2 months (we did it in 3 weeks though) and got the judge to agree to the purchase. All the debts had to be paid from the proceeds of the sale on the HUD 1.

Can't this be done? hopefully Austin-Willy will have more information....

Shelly

Old 12-04-2008, 07:32 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
bigtrees has been my experience as well. The court seizes all of the assets. They fill out their long forms of all creditors, yadda...yadda...then once they have all of the information, the judge typically (at least out here ) orders it to be sold. At least that seems to be how it has been since the bankruptcy laws were changed a few years ago.

In order for title insurance to be issued and title to be transferred, the court has to release the house. I just had a buyer who bought a house that was tied up in bankruptcy and the title company worked with us to get the release from the court. They were at the end of the process though.

They still technically own the house so they can enter into a contract subject to the court approval. That is usually how we enter the contingency in out here. Then the court can review the offer, decide what happens with the proceeds and then releases the house.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:32 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,979 times
I'm sure it can be done as the house might have to be sold anyway. (A possible exception is the homestead exemption - I don't really know how this works.) But as of the moment the person files for bankruptcy, all of his assets are frozen until a judge says otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate