Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Looking for a realtor: real estate, foreclosures, market, marketing strategy, agent.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:22 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,744,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Where does it say that?
That'd be in Article 1 of the National Association of Realtors Code of Ethics "When representing a buyer, seller, landlord, tenant, or other client as an agent, REALTORS® pledge themselves to protect and promote the interests of their client."

Picking and choosing which other brokers you want to work because of your opinion of their business model is not promoting the interest of your client.

I don't have a problem with declining to take on seller real estate agent duties nor I have a problem with not showing houses that don't offer commissions. But it's against the code of ethics to not show houses that are listed by limited-service agents because you don't agree with their business model or had bad experience with a particular type of listing in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 01:24 PM

237 posts, read 1,109,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgangrene View Post
I don't doubt that this is true, but I'm wondering what "promoting your property to other realtors" really means and whether it even matters in the internet age. Given the universal availability of MLS data, wouldn't every realtor already be aware of every home for sale in their area? And virtually everyone I know shops for a home the exact same way--going to the internet and doing a search then visiting the ones that look good on the net. Do buyer's agents really have that much sway anymore over which homes their clients see?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, and don't doubt that having a full-service agent has some value. I'm just trying to determine where that value lies, and put a rough dollar value on it. Will it be worth 50K to me?
Yes a realtor searches for properties using the MLS system but the MLS info I see is different from what you may see. In my area I search on 4 different MLS's for my buyers (different counties use different MLS services) and often times the listings are different - realtors have to pay a hefty annual fee to each county to have access to the different MLS info. What I find depends on where the listing agent decides to place it. I rarely go to the FSBO site looking for homes for my clients.

If the agent has established the appropriate trust and respect relationship with their client the client absolutely seeks out that agent's opinion about different homes and communities. That's our job.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:45 PM

43 posts, read 119,129 times
Default Tech savvy agent

"Honestly, I've been profoundly disappointed in the tech savvy of virtually every agent I've interacted with. Most seem to have great personal networking and traditional sales skills, but few that I've met have much to offer in the way of web-based marketing, or financial analysis. "

I use MINI cd Technolgy extensively as CD handouts instead of feature sheets. Moderator cut: URL removed

The benefit of this type of presentation is that floorplans, pictures, any property details can be added once I have access to them as files of Mpegs, Jpegs.

The presentation is email ready with its own address so is not screened by FILTERS. (email) That can then be emailed to your friend and associates database, my database, other prospects, picked up on line from an address on the sign.

Web pages, domains, can be dedicated for the individual property, pointed to, but advertising that webpage skillfully for keyword placement is a skill.

Otherwise everyone would be Number 1 on google

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2008 at 02:26 AM..

Old 12-06-2008, 02:18 PM

237 posts, read 1,109,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpylyp View Post
"Honestly, I've been profoundly disappointed in the tech savvy of virtually every agent I've interacted with. Most seem to have great personal networking and traditional sales skills, but few that I've met have much to offer in the way of web-based marketing, or financial analysis. "

I use MINI cd Technolgy extensively as CD handouts instead of feature sheets.

Sample Presentation (http://www.davidpylyp.com/canyon - broken link)

The benefit of this type of presentation is that floorplans, pictures, any property details can be added once I have access to them as files of Mpegs, Jpegs.

The presentation is email ready with its own address so is not screened by FILTERS. (email) That can then be emailed to your friend and associates database, my database, other prospects, picked up on line from an address on the sign.

Web pages, domains, can be dedicated for the individual property, pointed to, but advertising that webpage skillfully for keyword placement is a skill.

Otherwise everyone would be Number 1 on google
I tend to agree with you about tech capabilities of many agents. We just implemented an in-house program in my office that allows PDA access to all documents related to a transaction by all parties involved - no more snail mail or faxes.

But I really liked your link.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:41 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times
I'm not going to convince you to go the route of the traditional agent. You do need to realize that you would be saving closer to 3%, not 6% since you would need to offer a buyer agent compensation on the MLS. That is not chump change in your price range.

If you want to go on your own just make sure whatever goes online looks good. If you aren't good with a camera hire a professional photographer. Some people know what they need to do, are comfortable negotiating for themselves, and do just fine. I'm not sure why you want to be convinced.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:27 AM

200 posts, read 560,630 times
Default Define traditional vs not traditional real estate agent/brokerage

Lots of opinions...........quotes...........positioning BUT feel the definition of a traditional agent/bokerage means something different to each reader. Looking for some clarification.............would like to know how I am viewed

Old 12-07-2008, 09:56 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,988,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I'm not going to convince you to go the route of the traditional agent. You do need to realize that you would be saving closer to 3%, not 6% since you would need to offer a buyer agent compensation on the MLS.
This is important IMO. It still may makes sense to use the limited service agent, but you should be realistic about how much it would save you. The chances are that the buyer will have an agent, and you will probably be asked to pay their 1/2 of the commission.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:38 AM

634 posts, read 1,556,160 times
In my experience many buyers are not comfortable with dealing with sellers directly, especilly if they meet you and like you. Some buyers may have some real concerns and be hesitant to bring them up because they do not want to offend. There are also people who are going to think there is something wrong with the house and that is why it is priced so low. Also, are you prepared for criticism of your home and decorating choices?

As others have pointed out, you may have to pay a commission to the buyers agent. Also, how will you know they can afford your home? How do you know they won't back out a few days before closing?

I think one of the most important things about using professionals is objectivity. They are not emotionally attached. They can counsel their clients about what is a reasonable objection and what is superficial or cosmetic. We also have a good idea of what to look for as far as value when it comes to quality appliances, fixtures,flooring, window treatments, etc. These things can turn a buyer on or off very quickly! I've had clients that loved a house but hated the carpet so they shut it out very quickly. As much as I tried to tell them this is an easy fix, they were done! I found them a house that they liked eventually but that is just the way it sometimes.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:49 PM

43 posts, read 119,129 times
Default Ok So... you're selling Private

Great
You have a website
You have a snappy brochure
You have all the right answers.
You showed the house. The Buyer and his wife stayed for 30 minutes looking around.
They took all the paperwork with them.

Now what?

The reality the realtor provides is a sounding board of different homes they have seen together, combined with ( I hope) knowledge of the local market and the homes that have sold.

AND MOVES THEM to make a decision.

That is the benefit of an agent.

closing.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgangrene View Post
...Honestly, I've been profoundly disappointed in the tech savvy of virtually every agent I've interacted with...
Just curious and heading off on this tangent...

What skills and applications would you consider to be minimal technical skill from an agent?

What level of tech savvy would "Wow" you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate