U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-08-2008, 01:51 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,624,535 times
PS - I'm really a little tired of people attacking the integrity of every Realtor(r) in the country, including me, without even meeting me or knowing the honest business principles I live by. I'm sure other (honest) agents feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-08-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Bob, then WHY do selling agents have listing bonuses in the 1st place if the majority of realtors were ethical like you, right?

What is the intention of listing bonuses?
That's why bonuses/incentives to the buyers agent seldom work. I always counsel my sellers to drop their price vs any kind of a bonus. Even buyer incentives seldom work. It's all about the price and condition of the home and if it's properly marketed.

Unread 12-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Status: "Get there fast and then take it slow" (set 20 hours ago)

5,707 posts, read 9,756,777 times
The difference in the public information on my MLS from the agent view is;

Selling commission
Days on Market
Listing type
Original Price
Whether the owner will carry paper
The existence of a lockbox.
The listing agent and their phone number
Showing instructions
Agents comments

Obviously the difference isn't very significant. I'm always happy to share the information with clients that is on the agent view and not on the public view.

Unread 12-08-2008, 02:05 PM

105 posts, read 554,209 times
I sure didn't mean to start an argument here!

I will add though, that of the items listed below - I see these all the time on flyers. I picked up a dozen or so flyers this weekend when driving around looking for houses, and all seemed to simply be print-outs of the MLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
The difference in the public information on my MLS from the agent view is;

Selling commission
Days on Market
Listing type
Original Price
Whether the owner will carry paper
The existence of a lockbox.
The listing agent and their phone number
Showing instructions
Agents comments

Obviously the difference isn't very significant. I'm always happy to share the information with clients that is on the agent view and not on the public view.

Unread 12-08-2008, 02:15 PM

18,221 posts, read 26,283,365 times
The question from the OP was not about Agent Remarks, or Selling Agent bonuses, or other juvenile diversionary hijacking quibbles, but about whether all homes that are listed show up on Realtor.com, or whether the OP could access the MLS directly to find those listings.

Listings on an MLS (most MLS's?) automatically feed to Realtor.com.
However, Sellers and Listing Agents may agree that the listing will not be entered into the MLS. So MLS access may not help the OP if locating withheld properties is the goal.
At least it is a rarity for a property listing to be withheld by agreement.

Pocket Listings are another matter, with an ethical violation on the part of the Realtor if the Seller has not agreed to having the listing withheld from MLS.
Good luck finding them, since the Listing agent is hoping to sell it from a sign, personal network, or word of mouth.

IDX offers similar access to that of Realtor.com, often with better detail, mapping, and readability than Realtor.com.
Automatic searches, known in our local Triangle MLS, offer a format identical to MLS, without the Agent Only remarks. But all the Active listings are presented for the search parameters the agent inputs.

The fact is, homes for sale that are listed on the MLS show up on Realtor.com. So the OP is not missing out on properties by not having MLS access.

Unread 12-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post

I will add though, that of the items listed below - I see these all the time on flyers. I picked up a dozen or so flyers this weekend when driving around looking for houses, and all seemed to simply be print-outs of the MLS.
Hopefully we answered some of your questions, Cristen, before your thread got hijacked. I usually keep my mouth shut, as I watch the barbs fly - I don't know why I felt impelled to defend the real estate profession today.

Unread 12-08-2008, 02:30 PM

8,222 posts, read 9,071,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
, or other juvenile diversionary hijacking quibbles,
Well Mike, I'd fully expect you to brush off concerns like mine which would benefit the consumer....typical....

Gretchen, I know there are some good realtors out there., and I know you are. The point of it is you have something that out there (listing bonuses) that is unethical....that's it..

Unread 12-08-2008, 02:32 PM

18,221 posts, read 26,283,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post

Cristen,

I see flyers like that too. It is amazing, or amusing, how often the Listing Agent's contact information at the MLS is not accurate, or not a phone number they use, or without an email address.

If you go to my listings, you will see a "Buyer Full Page" on one side of the flyer. It is the MLS listing, without the days on market, Centralized Showing Service number, and other Agent information.
It presents the listing with my contact information at the top, and fits onto one page.

Unread 12-08-2008, 02:32 PM

1,381 posts, read 3,306,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Bob, then WHY do selling agents have listing bonuses in the 1st place if the majority of realtors were ethical like you, right?

What is the intention of listing bonuses?
The intention is to bring attention to a property not unlike a "red tag" sale. Normally it's the seller that want's to offer a listing incentive.

A property that offers a fishing trip to the caymans may get me to look more closely at the listing. I may even tell other agents about it. Now the property is on the radar. Someone out there just may be working with a client for whom the property fits. Incentives on listings will get the listing more attention but they don't motivate most (99.9%) of the agents to sell the listing harder to their clients.

Anyone that's in the business for the long haul doesn't prostitute themselves for a little extra commission on one sale. Most of the people I've done business with are now friends, that wouldn't be true if my goal was to take advantage of them. When someone buys a property using my services I fully expect to see them around town. I'll run into them shopping at Publics. My reputation is paramount to my success, and I think I'm like most of the other real estate agents in the business.

Unread 12-08-2008, 02:36 PM

105 posts, read 554,209 times
I picked up a flier this weekend, and while there was a nice color photo of the agent and her two dogs, most relevant info was missing from the flier, such as the PRICE of the home, the # of bedrooms/bathrooms, and...okay basically ALL relevant info was missing. Cute dogs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Cristen,

I see flyers like that too. It is amazing, or amusing, how often the Listing Agent's contact information at the MLS is not accurate, or not a phone number they use, or without an email address.

If you go to my listings, you will see a "Buyer Full Page" on one side of the flyer. It is the MLS listing, without the days on market, Centralized Showing Service number, and other Agent information.
It presents the listing with my contact information at the top, and fits onto one page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate