Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 01:42 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,312 times

Advertisements

The house we like now has this on it's MLS listing.... I emailed our realtor (which I think she should have already known and emailed me - but that's a different matter). What are some reasons for holding a listing? Could it be anything? Could it be under contract or would it have to say under contract on the MLS? Yikes!!!

I just saw this today - so I hope it is new today and I didn't just miss it before.

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 07:19 AM

43,268 posts, read 77,063,738 times
We often have listings that are on the MLS but withheld from showings for a brief period, for cleaning, detailing, etc.
"Hold-Do Not Show" is not a terminology we use on our MLS, but may be local MLS terminology where you are looking.

We just say, "No Showings until..."
Some folks are starting to not allow showings until after initial broker-only and public open houses.

We also use "Temporarily off the Market," which sometimes happens at the holidays, or if the Seller has an event that means they need up to a couple of weeks without showings.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
I agree with Mike, could be any one of these.

Sometimes a house that's listed will be not shown, too, because someone in the house is ill and they don't want people traipsing through while they recover from whatever it is. Or they have out of state guests in for holidays and the place is not showable. Or they've gotten feedback that certain things are putting people off and they're responding to the feedback by fixing that.

As for your agent not knowing, it may be that she DID know about the house but also knows what Hold Do Not Show means and thus did not bring the house to your attention for that reason.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:08 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
TexasHorseLady -- I agree with everything you said except the part about the the OP's agent. Sounds to me like the OP had PREVIOUSLY not had the "HOLD . DNSHOW" on the house they identified, and the agent SHOULD be 'watching' that listed for any changes and maybe even be in contact the sellers agent to find out what is changing...

Old 12-13-2008, 09:36 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Either the OP is ready to write an offer or not. If she is still in search mode and not ready to write an offer, I would not have brought a temporarily withdrawn listing to her attention. A price drop yes. If she was on the verge of writing an offer, then yes it should have been brought to her attention.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:44 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,613 times
There are many reasons the seller might want to hold off on showings in addition to the ones already mentioned. We've just had a wind storm through Atlanta over the past few days that brought down trees. If your house is on the market and a tree comes down, you're probably not going to want to have any showings until you get it cleaned up -- even though you might not want to take it off the market and have to start everything up again in a few days.

Don't freak out unnecessarily.

I also agree with Silverfall, there are plenty of situations in which I wouldn't feel it necessary to jump all over this as an agent and start calling everyone involved. You call this "the house that we like now." It doesn't sound like you're committed to buying this house yet. Have you even discussed writing an offer on this house with your agent? Unless you're ready to pull the trigger on this house and your agent is fully aware of that, she's got no real reason to get too fired up over the new hold on showings.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,708 times
It could also be the sellers are not wanting to show the house since the Holidays are upon us. I know that can be a dumb reason, but some would actually like to enjoy the holidays and not stress over cleaning for showings, etc. during this time.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:43 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,312 times
thanks everyone for your replies.

we're not about to fire our agent at all. we like her, but she knows this is our favorite house and the one we're most excited about seeing. she even said the other day that she was going to find out some more information on the house. we haven't seen it yet though b/c we're out of town and we have only 3 days in town before the holidays to see it (we were told seeing houses monday before christmas wouldn't be a problem). so i would have hoped she told the listing agent our plans, so the house would definitely be able to be shown while we're there.... b/c if it's not, that would be terrible.

also, i don't really think this house gets a ton of showings. i mean maybe it is, but i wouldn't think there would be enough to constitute a hold on the mls. it's got me thinking something else is going on. like maybe they don't really want to sell after they found out they have someone (us) coming to look at it. or on the other hand, maybe they know we're coming and they're getting it ready for us?? that could be the up side.

i do think our realtor should have told me about this and i shouldn't have to be the one to tell her. i've looked at the mls for that house a dozen times and it was just coincidence that i noticed the change in the little status section.

we're not going to say anything to her, but this isn't the first sign of "neglect". and this is the first hold i've ever seen on a house, so i don't know if it's all that common where we live. being proactive goes a LONG way with me and most other clients i would imagine. her email back to me was:

It may be that they were having company or something and did not want any appointments made for right now. I will ask the listing agent. Have a good weekend.

i need more than this from her a little more than a week before we're supposed to see this house.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 35,339 times
It may be that because your agent knows you're out of town she feels she has time to investigate and get back to you before you are scheduled to see the home. Not much she can do if sellers put a hold on viewings- and- you do have a week, which is ages in a realtors life. She may have only had time to send you a quick update to let you know she is working on it, but has other client appts. at the moment.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:59 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
First, ask your agent to call and find out why. It's pointless to try and guess.

Secondly, from what I can tell from your post history you aren't a motivated, ready to go buyer yet. Your agent has other clients and isn't going to devote all of her time to you, nor should she. Your agent isn't going to pull up that listing every day to see if it has a status change, nor should she. If your getting signs of neglect, it's probably because you've put out signals that you're a future buyer and not a current buyer. It's simply bad business to devote lots of time to future buyers rather than current buyers. Don't take offense, just make sure that you don't neglected when you get serious about finding a home. (I know you're serious now, but when you get to the point where you're ready to make an offer on the home when you find it you're a "serious buyer.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate