Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:49 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times

Advertisements

I have bought and sold many homes over the years. I have had appraisals each and every time. Yesterday was the first experience with an appraiser that made me pause.

I am refinancing with my current lender. An appraisal was ordered. The appraiser called me Sunday evening on my cell phone. She told me her name and we set an appointment up. She came yesterday for the appraisal and when I opened the door she just said "I'm the appraiser, I am going to walk the property and take pictures and then I will be back". I thought it odd that she didn't mention her name or give me a card. I just shrugged it off. The next thing I know she is in the house (she just walked in and didn't announce herself, etc.). Then she proceeded to go through every room taking many pictures of each room and then she opened every single closet in the entire house. I tried to make small talk with her "Where do you live", "How is your day" and got one word answers. She took forever opening everything in the house except the furniture. She opened built in cabinets and under eave storage spaces; everything. She walked to the front door an hour later and I said "Do you have any questions?" thinking she might want to know what improvements we had done since we had purchased and she said "no". She then said, "Oh, I need to see the garage" and then proceeded to go out the back door to the garage. She must have left out through the garage because I never saw her again and when I went looking for her she was gone!

If it makes a difference I am in Tennessee. I am feeling quite uncomfortable after this. Is there someone on here that can speak to a professional appraisers ethical and behavioral expectations? Thanks!

Last edited by Beretta; 12-13-2008 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-13-2008, 02:54 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
hmmm, I wouldn't feel comfortable with her either. She may just be that type of person that doesn't do well with people, but I would call your mortgage company and ask them a)if the appraiser was scheduled to come and b) why didn't she have or leave a card with you and c) you want them to know you were NOT happy.

Shelly

Old 12-13-2008, 04:01 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
I have never had an appraiser hand/leave me a card. They have always been all business and only one was "chatty". To a one they opened everything and took a million and a half pictures. None of them were interested in what I had done to the house, they used comps in the neighborhood to come up with a number.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:19 PM

I appreciate your responses. I can understand if it was a home inspection but for an appraisal it seemed odd. Thanks again.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:46 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
Maybe it is just our area, but I meet the appraiser on every listing I have that sells, and I have met several for my own home. they always bring a card to introduce themselves and they always want to know what recent improvements we have made to the home. I also provide comps for the appraiser that I would like to consider. But maybe they just do that because I am an agent? not sure, but I find most professional appraisers want to know as much as possible.

Shelly

Old 12-13-2008, 08:53 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
They are looking in closets and such to see if there is any water damage or any mold. They are suppose to do this if they are good appraisers. I don't know why she wasn't interested in any updates unless they were all visable to her already. She should have taken a lot of pictures. Did she measure too? You didn't mention that but she should have measured the exterior of the house at least.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
They are looking in closets and such to see if there is any water damage or any mold. They are suppose to do this if they are good appraisers. I don't know why she wasn't interested in any updates unless they were all visable to her already. She should have taken a lot of pictures. Did she measure too? You didn't mention that but she should have measured the exterior of the house at least.
Yep, she measured like nobody's business! Maybe the previous appraisers all sucked and this one was great?!

Old 12-14-2008, 07:21 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,584 times
I would expect an appraiser to provide you with their card and name, just good business. Never know when you might be asked for a reference. She may have plenty of business today but but who knows about tomorrow.
It sounds like she did a very through job. Much better than the drive by appraisals that banks were ordering just a couple years ago.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Maybe the previous appraisers all sucked and this one was great?!
Sounds like it to me!

I rarely leave a card for the borrower, nor do I chat much with them, for the simple reason that I cannor discuss the appraisal with the borrower. While the borrower pays for the appraisal, by law my client is the one who orders the appraisal, in this case the LO.

While I do ask questions about the house, any improvements made since the purchase are irrelevant. Most likely, the appraisal is done "as is" and anything in the past is moot.

Sounds like you got yourself a professional appraiser. Consider yourself lucky.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
If you are concerned, call the lender who ordered the appraisal and confirm or ask your agent to do so, through channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate