Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:52 AM

250 posts, read 681,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh View Post
Ironic isn't it? I guess it's human nature.

A person in this position, if they are savvy enough and play their cards right, can have a net positive result.

Thats fine and dandy....but they should stop calling buyers bottom feeders and stop argueing that first time home buyers are trying to rip them off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,579,998 times
Quote:
Ironic isn't it? I guess it's human nature.

A person in this position, if they are savvy enough and play their cards right, can have a net positive result.
A person in this position sadly won't be able to take advantage of the lower prices this market brings because they won't be able to sell their overpriced POS house.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,284,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiteer View Post
A person in this position sadly won't be able to take advantage of the lower prices this market brings because they won't be able to sell their overpriced POS house.
Not if they have been renting all along, saving up for a down payment, living within their means and do not own an overpriced POS house.

Last edited by SXN; 01-05-2009 at 09:12 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 PM

151 posts, read 711,799 times
The media is clearly over hyping the areas that have seen declines. The lower hudson valley in NY where I live has seen little decline if any. The towns I live around are slums but home values are up 400% since 2000, doubled since 2006 and see no sign of decline. A decent home even in those areas is upwards of 400k and in nicer areas over 500k and up.

How can people afford that, those prices are nuts. The house next door to me was only 130k in 1999 and now is over 400k. It is just insane.

What is worse since the annoucement of bailouts I have watched foreclosures virtually disappear from the listings. Probably the banks holding on to them waiting for our taxpayer dollars. Now people like me that saved and did do not do anything irresponsible will be picking up the tax tab for these bastards to keep these home values high.

It just does not make sense to buy now with home prices still so overvalued.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 AM

132 posts, read 346,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
The media is clearly over hyping the areas that have seen declines. The lower hudson valley in NY where I live has seen little decline if any. The towns I live around are slums but home values are up 400% since 2000, doubled since 2006 and see no sign of decline. A decent home even in those areas is upwards of 400k and in nicer areas over 500k and up.

How can people afford that, those prices are nuts. The house next door to me was only 130k in 1999 and now is over 400k. It is just insane.

What is worse since the annoucement of bailouts I have watched foreclosures virtually disappear from the listings. Probably the banks holding on to them waiting for our taxpayer dollars. Now people like me that saved and did do not do anything irresponsible will be picking up the tax tab for these bastards to keep these home values high.

It just does not make sense to buy now with home prices still so overvalued.
Just wait a couple of months or so and you'll see prices in your area drop drastically. Your turn in coming.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:16 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,388,418 times
I'm still curious how you KNOW this. You're on here touting yourself as an expert, but what are your expertise? Should we all just stop and listen to you because you post on a random message board? You could be 12 years old and live in Indonesia for all we know. What experience do you have to back up your "knowledge"?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:43 AM

945 posts, read 1,981,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I'm still curious how you KNOW this. You're on here touting yourself as an expert, but what are your expertise? Should we all just stop and listen to you because you post on a random message board? You could be 12 years old and live in Indonesia for all we know. What experience do you have to back up your "knowledge"?
I'm curious of the same. It appears one becomes an "expert" on this forum if they can provide links to "data" that can be read elsewhere. That's their proof that they know all about the RE market. If there are posts to the contrary to dispute what is being reported, then they want "more data" to read to back up your case.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,449,364 times
Quote:
Just wait a couple of months or so and you'll see prices in your area drop drastically. Your turn in coming.
Hudson Valley, I don't know if what your prices are going to do-- but proceed with caution. Lots of communities have called "not us" only to find out they were late to the game.

This is a bizarre market. If you're personally involved in it and local prices seem out of whack, be very careful about what you do next.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:34 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,279,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Anything that is a bank-owned is bought up with multiple bids in one day. We just got outbid on a house today.
I know! This is what I've been trying to tell people for months but ... people don't want to listen.

Unless you can make an all cash offer ... good luck getting any of these cheap properties.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,062,141 times
I think certain places that have always been very desirable to live in will not face the same kind of drop in prices. That has been our experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate