Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:25 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,272 times

Advertisements

Is the media way overhyping things or what? Sold my house FSBO and am settling in 2 weeks.

Now our search for a new house is turning out to be much more difficult than I thought. Anything that is a bank-owned is bought up with multiple bids in one day. We just got outbid on a house today.

Sure there are plenty of short-sales out there, but those take months. Anything that is a traditional sale is either way overpriced or, if not, snapped up instantly as well.

I envisioned us being able to leisurely pick the cream of the crop. Instead, we have to be out of our current place in 2 weeks, and I still don't have another place yet. Just a little discouraged at this unexpected turn of events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Who said it was a buyers market? So many condos and homes are still overpriced in some areas. I won't be buying any time soon. You should start looking for a house or condo to rent otherwise you may start to feel pressure to buy anything. And try to avoid leaving a security deposit or last months rent.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Coolcats, we sold our home in October and rented an apartment for 6 months while we build. You might be wise to do the same while you look for a good deal.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,259 times
Depends on where you are looking to buy, OP. Real estate is very local. If you're area didn't experience a huge inflation in prices over the past ten years, you probably won't see huge declines.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Is the media way overhyping things or what? Sold my house FSBO and am settling in 2 weeks.

Now our search for a new house is turning out to be much more difficult than I thought. Anything that is a bank-owned is bought up with multiple bids in one day. We just got outbid on a house today.

Sure there are plenty of short-sales out there, but those take months. Anything that is a traditional sale is either way overpriced or, if not, snapped up instantly as well.

I envisioned us being able to leisurely pick the cream of the crop. Instead, we have to be out of our current place in 2 weeks, and I still don't have another place yet. Just a little discouraged at this unexpected turn of events.
Guess a double move may be in order We are hoping to avoid that by doing subject to sale.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 PM

37 posts, read 150,989 times
Quote:

Sure things are certainly tough out there everywhere you go across the country. However, the media has made these across the board "blanket" statements about the real estate market which doesn't necessarily apply to every state and city in the US on every single home.

The truth is that if you have a home in a desirable location, in good shape, that is priced properly, it will sell and usually sell FAST!

Buyers are out there in abundance, and they're willing to pay...The only thing is they don't want to pay top-dollar for junk!

Consider yourself blessed.

Congrats on your upcoming sale,

Moderator cut: removed signature

Last edited by Marka; 01-05-2009 at 04:28 AM..

Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,334 times
Congratulations on the sale-- the hard part is done.

I second that it's all local when it comes to buying. Micro-local in some ways. Probably your first and most accurate clue to local conditions will be to get a sense of how many months of inventory there are at your price level. The market is very schizophrenic. Lots of sellers who through desperation or delusion are overpriced. Occasional estates/relos/divorces priced fairly and sold in decent time. And then the destroyed foreclosures and weird short sales. Argh. Not simple.

We, too, sold about a year ago thinking we'd rent for a few months while we found a new place. Our old town, Boston, started correcting in 2005, so it was old news there. Not so in Chicago. Despite everyone's claims that "we didn't have a run-up here" the market has dropped 10% in the last 12 months. And more than that in the neighborhood where we're looking.

Grab a nice rental and proceed carefully. Since real estate recoveries don't tend to be V-shaped, you've got nothing to worry about but mortgage rates and/or inflation-- and many would argue you don't even need to worry about those.

No crystal ball here. Learn your market. Go with your gut.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 PM

35 posts, read 35,559 times
Quote:

Rent until it becomes a real buyers market, which for most post bubble areas is only a few months away.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
it was. but the banks are playing games. the bailout slowed down the drop big time.
now you gota wait 18 months for a real drop.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:59 PM

35 posts, read 35,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
it was. but the banks are playing games. the bailout slowed down the drop big time.
now you gota wait 18 months for a real drop.
The banks are waiting to see if the incoming Obama administration will bail them out further. So is every other major industry in the US.

Once that foolish hope is shattered within the next few months you'll see the economy of this nation tank like a plunging rock bringing down homeprices with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate