Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:19 AM

86 posts, read 255,324 times

Advertisements

If it was a different time I would find the situation amusing. I only post this here as I just sort of scratch my head.
In anything that pertains to sales word of mouth and repeat customers are a big part of doing business.
I will break it down.
I am sure many people are in my shoes with the current state of affairs.
Waiting to sell a home in one area and having to relocate to another. This means renting to most people.
Affording 2 house payments, 2 electric bills etc.
As someone stated here it gives you time to look around at what is available. This is something one can do on their own with the many websites available now that even lists FSBO and such.
I am venting here more than anything I suppose.
I do know how to find a home and I will not be renting for very long but I do think about the countless people that are in my shoes now and if things don't change pretty soon there may be more.
I just think that realtors may want to pause for a moment and consider a bird in the hand.
I was brought up with the idea of common courtesy.
I don't expect a realtor to spend countless hours showing me around for a potential contingency but at least show some concern.
How is this any different than the car dealer who shows countless people cars all day with a small portion really wanting a car.
I guess like everything else in life it is determined by the experiences one has had like the person who stated never again.
Just interesting is all. To be a renter is suddenly like being invisible. I guess I could make up a story if I wanted to but I will not.
May just be cathartic to write here.
I think I may hit nerves on the side of the person in my shoes and the realtor trying to make a buck and plug along. Perspective is everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 08:26 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
You are right. There are a lot of people who have a house to sell somewhere else and are living/working far away. In fact I have 6 such soon to be able buyers.

Soon #1 has a house to sell in Arkansas - been on the market nearly two years. It's now priced half of what it was. We have looked at more than 20 homes in 2 years. Started in the $325,000 price range, now in the $225,000 price range. They hate everything, and are very frustrated. They would consider a lease with option on the property back home. No one is biting. There last showing was two days after Thanksgiving.

Soon #2 - has had his home in Texas on the market for 8 months, and it has been under contract 3 times. So have we. More than 40 houses, 7 offers, 3 acceptances, 2 inspections, 1 appraisal - 0 closings. He is living at a residence inn. His furniture is in storage. He feels his life is on hold.

Soon #3 She has been here for 6 months, he is back home waiting to close on their home. They are $500,000 buyers - buying new construction. They have spent $15,000 - half of their down payment - on living expenses on the two household arrangement. The house will be ready in April. The have 5 days to pull out of the deal. Either way they loose their earnest money.

So I have wasted plenty of time on "soon to be" buyers, I am tired of giving "cooks tours" and not getting paid.

Car salesmen aren't spending too much time on Lookie-Lou's - no gas/car, maybe an hour or two. Not a great comparison. They are already on the lot. You go to them. Home Buyers get picked up, driven from house to house to house, watered, fed when appropriate, and driven back to point of origination.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:58 AM

86 posts, read 255,324 times
thank you for your post. I can see your side and sorry.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:09 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancygal View Post
If it was a different time I would find the situation amusing. I only post this here as I just sort of scratch my head.
In anything that pertains to sales word of mouth and repeat customers are a big part of doing business.
I will break it down.
I am sure many people are in my shoes with the current state of affairs.
Waiting to sell a home in one area and having to relocate to another. This means renting to most people.
Affording 2 house payments, 2 electric bills etc.
As someone stated here it gives you time to look around at what is available. This is something one can do on their own with the many websites available now that even lists FSBO and such.
I am venting here more than anything I suppose.
I do know how to find a home and I will not be renting for very long but I do think about the countless people that are in my shoes now and if things don't change pretty soon there may be more.
I just think that realtors may want to pause for a moment and consider a bird in the hand.
I was brought up with the idea of common courtesy.
I don't expect a realtor to spend countless hours showing me around for a potential contingency but at least show some concern.
How is this any different than the car dealer who shows countless people cars all day with a small portion really wanting a car.
I guess like everything else in life it is determined by the experiences one has had like the person who stated never again.
Just interesting is all. To be a renter is suddenly like being invisible. I guess I could make up a story if I wanted to but I will not.
May just be cathartic to write here.
I think I may hit nerves on the side of the person in my shoes and the realtor trying to make a buck and plug along. Perspective is everything.
This market is tough on everyone and agents are trying to be as effective with their time as possible. Calling 6 agents and not at least one giving you some names of local property managers isn't particularly courteous, but I do think that buyer's and sellers are going to have to search a little harder for those good professional full-time agents that can help them.

I wish I could tell you otherwise, but this is painful for all. 2B's post is so true of the dilemma's that buyers, sellers and agents are all experiencing. It is just ugly.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Fancygal,
A couple of points that have been previously mentioned I am going to reiterate now that I better understand your situation. 1-Most Realtors don't know the rental market. If they refer to a property manager they have done a good thing for you. Don't be unhappy they didn't help you find a rental. Rather be happy they took the time to send you to someone qualified to find a rental.
2-You aren't a bird in the hand. A bird in the hand is a buyer that is ready to write when they find an offer. You are bird in the bush until your home sells. I would put you on a listing notifier and add you to my newsletter list if I had your home address of your rental.
3-The agent has bills and mortgages to pay as well. If they spend time with a renter to pay the bills tomorrow they get behind on the bills today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate