Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which exterior building material is best for durability?
Wood 3 4.76%
Vinyl siding 0 0%
Brick 36 57.14%
Rock 5 7.94%
Stucco 4 6.35%
cement block 12 19.05%
other - please specify or rank the choices 8 12.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:51 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,183,267 times

Advertisements

Form poured concrete. I saw a home, with basement built this way near my parents. Would drive by and see it's progress. Wooden rafters and interior wood framing, not sure about the floors, probably wood. The exterior looks like a typical stucco finish, though don't see stucco really used much, except fake stucco. I suppose not too different than some cement block houses I've seen in southern states, just a quicker way to build. But poured cement forms used foam forms which stay in place and part of insulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 08:22 AM

15,622 posts, read 10,375,150 times
years ago, I lived in a exterior clad cedar shingle and stone house built in 1933. even after more than 60 years, both the original cedar shingles and the original stone were in excellent condition. I know they were original because the previous owner had a very old picture of the house right after it was built. perhaps the durability of exterior materials mostly depends on the quality of the materials used and the craftsmanship of the people who install the material. I also assume regular maintenance by homeowners is also involved with durability.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-20-2019 at 08:33 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 06:22 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,627,020 times
The correct answer is concrete, or cement block. There’s a reason every high rise is built from concrete and steel. Not to mention for houses Insulated Concrete Form is both inexpensive and incredibly energy efficient. Brick by itself is more for looks than it is for insulation, it usually is a siding with the actual wood frame insulation behind that. I’d rather ICF any day and brick looks too old school, not modern.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:36 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,719,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
Stucco is a hard sell in GA. Even the real stuff. I'd never buy stucco because of the stigma attached to it, although, I do think it looks nice.

I don't know what I'd buy if I had to move to Florida...LOL
I'm thinking probably concrete block. That's what all of the new houses around here (SWFL maybe 20 miles from the Gulf coast) are made out of. Most are covered in stucco, too. There are wood houses, but I don't think they stand up to hurricanes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate