Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 03:58 PM

371 posts, read 1,256,346 times

Advertisements

I have a high debt to income ratio, even though everything is always paid on time. I'm thinking of asking a sister of mine, with I'm sure stellar credit, to join me on buying a house, qualifying me for a better loan. If someone co-borrows w/ me- would she see or have access to my credit report? I'd be embarassed being older, on my credit card interest rates, totals, etc. . As I said, I have not paid anything late, and always pay well over the minimums, but I know I won't pay it all off by the time I want to buy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 04:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,505,163 times
Have you considered resisting the urge to take on more debt and instead paying off what you currently owe and restoring your own FICO score?

I mean, do you turn into a pumpkin or something, if you don't buy something , now?

Old 01-19-2009, 04:59 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,164,659 times
You really do not need to take on more debt. Trying paying off some of your debts before you buy. On a personal side, using your sister's credit can really cause family disharmony later especially if you are already stretched like this.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:01 PM

15,511 posts, read 40,240,193 times
If your sister is the co-borrower she is responsible for that loan. So if you got into a car crash and died two weeks after close, she would still get to pay that mortgage payment.

The time is not right for you to buy a house now. Wait.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:29 PM

23 posts, read 99,402 times
According to my mortgage broker, it's not likely that she would see your credit report, and at closing co-borrowers typically each sign their own loan application again - since you'd be signing at the same time that's when it's possible your info would be visible, but it typically would not be something that has to happen. However, please keep in mind this is general information and things vary by state, lender, closing officer, etc.

More importantly I have to echo some of the previous posters - do you really want to buy when it's really a stretch, and have someone co-sign when you don't want them to know the details of your debt to income ratio? I know it's very tempting to buy right now with interest rates so low, so I sympathize - but she would be on the hook for 100% of the loan if for some reason you weren't in the picture, and it will be more difficult for her to qualify for a loan of her own in the future as long as the monthly payment shows as one of her liabilities.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,207,938 times
Taking the defense of the OP for a moment, she didn't say that she has bad credit scores, just a high DTIR to get a new loan.

To answer your question, no, your sister doesn't have to see your credit report. But since you have that concern, you really don't want to do anything to hurt your sister's credit if you over extend yourself.

Pay off as much as you can of your debts and get qualified on your own merits when you are ready. If you wish to ask your sister to join you at that time, it would be simply to be co-owners.

Good luck,

Naima

Old 01-21-2009, 01:39 PM

371 posts, read 1,256,346 times
Yes, my score is not what 's troubling...I agree, though, I should pay off all debt before looking any further at buying. It is tempting now w/ interest rates low. And thinking she'd be responsible for the mortgage should something happen..nope, won't do it.
thanks for the advice....I'll just keep socking away at that debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate