Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,294 times

Advertisements

Although there is plenty of blame to pass around on the current housing debacle I have to ask a question. What was Congress, the Treasury Department, and the SEC doing while the litany of mistakes was being made? Some in Congress were actually promoting some of these mistakes and the Treasury and SEC appear to have been asleep at the wheel.
A previous poster is also correct in that there have been some people who tried to sound the alarm on what was going on as early as the early 2000's. The problem was that greed, irresponsibility, and ignorance made people hard of hearing and promoted the denial that occurred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
What was Congress, the Treasury Department, and the SEC doing while the litany of mistakes was being made?
Talking to these people

Top Individuals | OpenSecrets

And following the money..

Top All-Time Donors 1989-2008 Summary | OpenSecrets

#3 NAR
#4 Goldman Sachs
#10 Carpenters & Joiners Union
#15 Citigroup
#22 National Assc'n of Homebuilders
#23 American Bankers Asscn
#25 JPMorgan Chase
#30 Morgan Stanley
etc..

Old 01-23-2009, 03:17 PM

667 posts, read 1,848,697 times
I bought my condo in 2004. I didn't know a thing about real estate, and never bought before, but just looking at the runnups in the previous years, I don't know how anyone could avoid noticing it might be a bubble price. I remember thinking that my condo could lose a lot of value. I also remember thinking that prices might continued to rise, and I might be priced out of the market, and I was a bit panicked and eager to buy, for that reason. So--one novice (me) was worried about the bubble, but bought anyway. (For whoever is curious--condos like mine continued to rise in price until 2007, but I have no idea how far they might fall when this is finally over--if at all.)

Where I got burned is the stock market. I invested about 35,000 last summer when we reached 12,000 and held steady (or seemed to be inching back up). I remember reading Paul Krugman, who warned about a coming depression and 'banana republic economy' and I remember thinking--Paul Krugman has scared me for too long! I'm losing money keeping my money in cash! (inflation). But he was right.

It was the real estate securities that pumped the stocks up (why this is relevant on this page) and brought them crashing down.

Here is what I didn't realize, and I don't know how I could been expected to realize: big banks made bad mortgages--but then sold those as toxic real estate products to other banks. I didn't know that. I think that knowledge was available, but I didn't now about it. I read a lot, but I don't remember reading about it. So when it happened, and I lost a lot of money--I was taken off guard.

I didn't invest in financials (per se--I bought Vanguard large cap and mid cap, and some TransAmerica stock plus bonds) but I understand that it is these toxic mortgage products that brought everyone down.

I believe that bankers knew what they were doing, but were hoping to cash out before the roof caved. I think that strategy might work for them. As for me--I'm trying to rebudget without that 35,000. (I'm preparing for worst case--stocks plummet to zero. Haven't sold yet, not gonna sell.)

As far as my 401 K, I don't feel so bad--I feel like finally I'm buying every month at a fair price--for the first time! I feel bad for my father, though, --but then again--his gains in the last eight years were not real--so , it's okay.

Long post!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:15 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,289 times
Karen59,
BINGO!
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate