Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 07:46 PM

202 posts, read 702,619 times

Advertisements

After interviewing three realtors, we have selected one and we are proceeding well. The whole process was informative and we feel good about our decision. Now, we will need a lawyer and I realize I don't know how to choose one. The agents (a team of two) will provide us with some names, but ultimately, the decision is ours. So, does it matter who we use? Is there a way to select one lawyer over another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
Really depends on what you expect. For probably 98% of deals a run of the mill attorney is fine. You call 'em up after getting a number from the realtor or other referral source (lenders, neighbors) ask 'em their rates (cheapest and most expensive both raise red flags...), schedule (the only thing worse that a lawyer with no time to serve you is one who has no other clients besides you...) and things proceed uneventfully.

You MIGHT wanna ask if they've had experience with deals that have not gone smoothly, and if they offer up a convincing argument that they can not only handle such a situation, but actually get a good outcome for their client you are probably fine.

Now if you are NOT doing a run of the mill deal, and anticipate needing an attorney that is experienced with NON routine issues you may want to ask around of OTHER attorneys, as they tend to know who has a knack for the ,uh, "interesting" cases...

Old 01-25-2009, 08:16 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
kick over rocks near water front property.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 AM

831 posts, read 2,428,374 times
I had used the same real estate attorney for years but unfortunetly he retired. I was in the process of purchasing a home. My realtor suggested one the agency used. I figured why not. He was awful. You need to make sure that who ever you chose you are comfortable speaking to and your not just another file. Make sure he handles your file and your not passed over to the paralegal in the office. I am now involved in a law suit because my attorney did not put the contingency clause of the sale of my home in the contract. He is stating I said "don't worry about my home" this is such bs. The facts are he was to busy to speak with me and signed off on the other attorneys letter prior to speaking to me. No one ever expects this to happen but it did. Even though your paying you need to make sure you read everything and make sure all correspondence between the parties is mailed or faxed to you and if your not sure about any language don't sign it ask first.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:51 PM

10,901 posts, read 21,858,378 times
What I look for as an agent are consistency from paralegals with a low turnover rate and communication. I need people who answer phones and emails or at least return messages promptly. It's not as easy as you'd think on the communication thing.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:10 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,854,335 times
Here's a good tip for finding a decent real estate attorney. Call a large local title insurance office in your area (look in the phone book under Title Insurance) like Chicago Title and ask for a recommendation (who would you hire for your own home or your child's home?). These people are usually pretty connected with the quality of the local real estate attorneys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate