Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:15 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times

Advertisements

Sounds good! I just wondered if you were around my area. The nicer areas here in South Charlotte are continuing to hold strong prices. I really don't see a bubble effect here at all. I think its just the areas of the country that saw such a huge, unrealistic inflation that are hurting.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:57 PM

202 posts, read 470,784 times
people should just prey hard

Old 03-21-2007, 11:19 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
I just saw this after reading and posting on this thread today. It is regarding areas that had the biggest value gains last year. So not all areas are bursting. It shows the metro areas so my little town of Granbury isn't on the list but it isn't bursting either. LOL

Top 10 metro home-value gainers for 2006

Bubble burst? What bubble burst? The danger in talking about local situations as if they applied across the board is that real estate is always a local situation and what's a bubble bursting in one area can be a time someone else's balloon is expanding rapidly.

Take a look at these metro areas that were the biggest value gainers in 2006, according the National Association of Realtors.

2006 biggest value gainers

Rank Metropolitan statistical area One-year appreciation (%)
1 Salem, Ore. 19.8
2 Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, Va.-N.C. 19.4
3 Spokane, Wash. 17.7
4 Salt Lake City, Utah 16.7
5 Eugene-Springfield, Ore. 16.7
6 Baton Rouge, La. 15.9
7 Gainesville, Fla. 15.9
8 Ocala, Fla. 15.5
9 Dover, Del. 14.7
10 Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, Ore.-Wash. 14.7

Old 03-22-2007, 05:16 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Thank you for that post. I think that supports the idea that real estate markets are regional. I stated many times on this board that the Charlotte, NC region has held steady in appreciation at around 8% for the past several years. I think that is characteristic of a strong market.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 AM

202 posts, read 470,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Thank you for that post. I think that supports the idea that real estate markets are regional. I stated many times on this board that the Charlotte, NC region has held steady in appreciation at around 8% for the past several years. I think that is characteristic of a strong market.

All talk but no proof... yes we have some areas of our economy that, FOR THE MOMENT, seem to be holding... however your suggestion that the housing sector is strong is very problematic to most. This is exactly what the feds want you to believe until its too late. the overall market is the most volatile it has been for a while. take a look at what has happened to the stock market over the last 2-3 weeks. this is why I keep saying don't trust these Realtors, lenders, sellers.

Heres and interesting article. It is from an independent but you can find tons of info from leading economists on MSN, CNN, CNBC, ABC, FOX ect
do a search on Dr. Robert Schiller and see what he has to say...
heres the info.
http://www.isecureonline.com/Reports/SUR/ESURH330/ (broken link)

Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
All this arguing, tension, predictions, attacking, etc. is just so useless. All I know is that real estate sales and home values here in my So. California neighborhood (despite all the reactionary media) are steadily climbing after a small dip...houses are selling - not just for sale, but selling...staying on the market longer than the last few years, but selling. Historically, there are market standstills and recessions after long periods of increase...the market always, always bounces back. Real estate is always a good investment as long as you are planning on staying in your home long term. If we did not have the mortgage interest as a write-off on our income taxes, we would be paying a ton of taxes. I can remodel, re-landscape and customize my home to my needs - this is our little piece of heaven - not some apartment where the rent gets raised and you have no equity and no say so about anything. We have savings to pay our house off if we need to, but we want the tax benefits. Our house is worth over $600,000 more than what we paid for it years ago. No one could ever convince me that I should rent - not in this market any way.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:59 AM

612 posts, read 2,777,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
All this arguing, tension, predictions, attacking, etc. is just so useless. All I know is that real estate sales and home values here in my So. California neighborhood (despite all the reactionary media) are steadily climbing after a small dip...houses are selling - not just for sale, but selling...staying on the market longer than the last few years, but selling. Historically, there are market standstills and recessions after long periods of increase...the market always, always bounces back. Real estate is always a good investment as long as you are planning on staying in your home long term. If we did not have the mortgage interest as a write-off on our income taxes, we would be paying a ton of taxes. I can remodel, re-landscape and customize my home to my needs - this is our little piece of heaven - not some apartment where the rent gets raised and you have no equity and no say so about anything. We have savings to pay our house off if we need to, but we want the tax benefits. Our house is worth over $600,000 more than what we paid for it years ago. No one could ever convince me that I should rent - not in this market any way.

I am in complete agreement with you.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:07 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
So am I.

So that settles it. It's now a sellers market again.

This thread is now closed!

Thank you and have a nice day!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:15 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,269,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
So am I.

So that settles it. It's now a sellers market again.

This thread is now closed!

Thank you and have a nice day!
I concur. Thank you all for participating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate