U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:09 PM

87 posts, read 150,740 times

Advertisements

Wow, so many great ideas and insights. This thing has been brewing for months, I should have posted here before.

I would like to try locating the pins on my property myself, wouldn't mind getting (or maybe rent) a metal detector to do that. Right now everything's covered with a layer of ice, a layer of snow, and another layer of ice, and the idea of trying to find anything under all that is daunting. But a thaw is on the way, so maybe ---- I believe the original survey was filed with the town, so that may be the less expensive way to go.

The developer had his own survey done last month, but the survey guys were only on the property for an hour or so and there was no digging done that I could see, so I don't think they uncovered the concrete monuments (which the surveyor who gave us the quote says are the basis of surveys in our neighborhood).

It really wasn't much of a survey - they marked one corner by breaking a twig off a tree, tying a piece of plastic ribbon to it, and sticking it in the ground. Another corner was marked by just tying a piece of ribbon onto a branch up in a tree. I will check with the county surveyor's office to see if that survey (such as it was) was recorded.

We'll make sure that the surveyor we go with knows that we want an accurate survey, not just for him to put the line where we want it - good point, that would be fatal in court, if it should get that far. Very good to know that his rate sounds in line.

A lot to think about, and I will share all of this information with my neighbors, I'm sure they'll like the idea of adverse possession just as much as I do! Thanks so much to everyone who replied, it is heartening. - Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 AM

6,958 posts, read 18,422,889 times
We have a few historic townsites from the gold rush era around here and they are a surveyors nightmare.

It's almost impossible for them to "close" any survey. (Put 4 sides together and the last lines don't meet) Our surveyor suggested that using the term "lines of occupation" (where the fences are now) would be sufficient for our buyers needs.

It doesn't seem like the developer had a real survey crew out, more like some layout folks trying to get an idea what they have to work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate