Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:40 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times

Advertisements

I know professional real estate investors are able to write off a lost on a home after selling (after recapturing depreciation costs....although its debatable if these investors actually recapture their depreciation costs). But the law as it stands right now, does not allow regular folks to to write off losses on a home when selling.

But why hasn't anyone in the government propose letting some homeowners sell their homes at a lost and letting them claim it as a tax deduction?

Say you lost 200K in your home after selling, you would be able to deduct those losses so you tax savings would be around 60-70K. At least this mitigates some expenses for the government having to bail out some homeowners. The homeowners would be the ones taking the real hit financially. The mortgage holders would be protected. The taxpayers would be protected. The homeowner selling would gain a little tax advantage (but still losing a whole bunch of money overall). This seems to be the "safest" solution.

They would need to impose some type of "wash sales rule" for people selling their homes at a lost and taking this huge deduction (just like selling a stock at a lost and disallowing re-buying the same or very similar stock within 30 days). However, in this case, the government should impose a law (say no one can re-buy another home and sell at a profit for 3 years) to stop people from profiting in a short amount of time.

What do you guys (or gals) think of this idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:34 AM

17 posts, read 17,955 times
You're presuming all the people in trouble can even sell their home and realize a loss. Most aren't and it's hitting reo-ville.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Can not find a fix for bad luck or greed. Just have to suck it up and move on. A home is that, not an investment. IMO

Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 AM

525 posts, read 1,297,946 times
I love the idea...of course, I sold a home this year and took a loss I actually have mentioned this idea on this board before, and got similar responses.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
I love the idea...of course, I sold a home this year and took a loss I actually have mentioned this idea on this board before, and got similar responses.
It seems there are 2 different views on this topic. You and I are in the same boat.

The problem is that that people do not realize real estate is an investment (it is a home but still an investment) and should be treated that way.

The proposal you and I are for (tax deduction for real estate lost for regular folks) benefits everyone. The government takes less of a hit. The mortgage lien holders are happy and the people taking a lost lose a little bit less and gain a tax advantage (they overall are losing money).

I think people on this board do not want high income earners getting any advantage (when in essence we are trying to save the country millions/billions of dollars in taxpayer subsidies if people just decide to short sale or walk away from their homes and everyone takes a hit).

Old 02-15-2009, 09:05 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I do understand the problem because my older son is going through the same kind of loss. However, it is really a lot of ask tax payers to pay the difference for any purchase where someone had to take a loss in a purchase-reselling scenario. The long term gain is that we will all come out of this mess being wiser investors. Meanwhile, this will be hard on a whole lot of folks out there and my heart sure goes out to them.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:48 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,537,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbugmeplease View Post
You're presuming all the people in trouble can even sell their home and realize a loss. Most aren't and it's hitting reo-ville.
And doesn't this have to do with sellers not pricing their homes realistically in a lot of cases? This would at least give them an incentive to price it to sell.

Set the price where it should be set and the house will move.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Not sure how this would help people that don't have the cash to clear title. I mean you file your taxes once a year, so how does this help the seller who has to bring $200,000 to the closing table in order to clear title for the buyer say...in July?

Old 02-15-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Not sure how this would help people that don't have the cash to clear title. I mean you file your taxes once a year, so how does this help the seller who has to bring $200,000 to the closing table in order to clear title for the buyer say...in July?
I didn't say this would help everyone. I said this would help a small amount of people. If Obama (with his speech on Wednesday) says he will try to help 4 million homes out of 12 million future foreclosures by using taxpayers money on people, than this proposal will help 1-2 million more homeowners.

Congress is passing a stimulus package ($8000) for first time homeowner. This will only cover the lower end of the housing market. Assuming Obama's proposal on Wednesday will help people in the middle end (the 300-600K) housing market. My proposal will help people in the upper end (600K and up) housing market at least migitigate their loses (and not rely on government bailout money).

Again, we can't help out everyone. Most people I know who own million dollars homes are not super rich but they have at least 400-500K in cash assets to cover at closing.

These people can easily just walk away from their homes and just rent for 5 more years and let their current home go into foreclosure. They'd rather just keep their cash if there is no tax benefit into selling at a lost.

And there are people who are just living beyond their means who truly cannot be help.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 AM

525 posts, read 1,297,946 times
I think the main issue here is that it feels unfair to me as a homeowner that someone can deduct a loss on stocks and other investments, but I can't on my primary home. Why? To discourage people from looking at their house as an investment in addition to a place of residence? That will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate