Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I meant stop calling your agent. You'll never get the sellers ss# to talk to the bank.
Oh, I see. To be clear though, I haven't been calling her abou this short sale every 2 days. I've been very active in my home search and we've viewed at least a dozen properties together. I'm calling her about a host of things.

And I wouldn't dream of attempting to get anyone's SS# nor would I ask about the loan.

Quote:
There are no hard and fast rules. Maybe you will hear something 10 days (business days) from the date they got the appraisal. Sometimes they decline the file and mail a notice to the owner. Sometimes they put the file through management review and approve it. Sometimes they ask for highest and best...
So, if they send the decline to the owner, whom I haven't spoken with in depth, nor has my agent, would the owner just call the listing agent? That would worry me. I wonder if the owner would bother to call the listing agent. IRT mgt review. Do you know if this ocurrs via monthly meetings or what? As far as the best and brightest, we're the first and only offer since 6/08. I'm not sure why but I do know that this home isn't listed as well as it could be. Do you know if there's a way to find out what the appraisal is?

Thanks for responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 06:26 PM

I'm watching this right now and it's very informative.

YouTube - Why Short Sales Can Take So Long

Old 02-07-2009, 06:35 PM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
First of all the bank has to have authorization from the SELLER to talk to you because the seller still legally owns the property. The seller is not going to give the bank authorization to talk to you.

The short sales that I had rejected last year were sent directly to me (the agent with authorization to talk to the bank). The bank sent me their nice form letter. You will know as soon as the listing agent knows.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
First of all the bank has to have authorization from the SELLER to talk to you because the seller still legally owns the property. The seller is not going to give the bank authorization to talk to you.
Is it normal that we haven't dealt with the sellers at all?

Quote:
The short sales that I had rejected last year were sent directly to me (the agent with authorization to talk to the bank). The bank sent me their nice form letter. You will know as soon as the listing agent knows.
Do you know why they were rejected? Thanks (to all respondents in this thread) for answering all my questions.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:09 PM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
There is nothing to deal with for the sellers. I mean it is really out of their hands. They can't control the bank. Either the bank agrees or doesn't.

The ones that were rejected were at the start of 2008 and the Salem market was still holding okay. I don't think the bank felt any need to work with us. It is a different market now.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
There is nothing to deal with for the sellers. I mean it is really out of their hands. They can't control the bank. Either the bank agrees or doesn't.
I have learned a lot from this thread and youtube. I will hold off on calling the listing agent.

Quote:
The ones that were rejected were at the start of 2008 and the Salem market was still holding okay. I don't think the bank felt any need to work with us. It is a different market now.
Which Salem are you near? Yes, it's a different market but I have little faith in these banks.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Would you want anyone handing out your social security # and other personal informaiton to someone just because they were impatient? In these days of identity theft, I would hardly think so.

Actually, no one is supposed to have access to your SSN except the Social Security Office, without a special law being passed allowing them to do so. Even our driver's license issuing agency that requires them for purposes of hunting down child support delinquents (an invalid reason, in my opinion), had to have a special law passed allowing them to do so, and they're a state law enforcement agency! So, no, you shouldn't be able to get someone else's SSN and the bank would be breaking the law by giving it to you without the permission of the person whose number it is - and if you had their permission, you could get it directly from them, couldn't you?

Really, either you need to chill, or you need to withdraw your offer and move on to another house, and DON'T look at any short sales or foreclosures! Some people just aren't meant to buy those because they're not temperamentally suited to what's required in the way of patience.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:36 PM

31 posts, read 91,921 times
You should not contact the listing agent, but you are not legally prevented from doing so. They are ethically bound to refer you back to your agent, but often won't. It's a move you can make but might irritate the buyers agent. What you might do is call your buyers agent and leave a voice mail saying "I know your busy so I was thinking about calling the listing agent directly....." They will likely respond to that message pretty quickly :-)

Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Would you want anyone handing out your social security # and other personal informaiton to someone just because they were impatient? In these days of identity theft, I would hardly think so.

Actually, no one is supposed to have access to your SSN except the Social Security Office, without a special law being passed allowing them to do so. Even our driver's license issuing agency that requires them for purposes of hunting down child support delinquents (an invalid reason, in my opinion), had to have a special law passed allowing them to do so, and they're a state law enforcement agency! So, no, you shouldn't be able to get someone else's SSN and the bank would be breaking the law by giving it to you without the permission of the person whose number it is - and if you had their permission, you could get it directly from them, couldn't you?
I'm pretty sure I've already stated (on the 1st page) that there is no desire to obtain somebody's SS#. That wouldn't even cross my mind.

Quote:
Really, either you need to chill, or you need to withdraw your offer and move on to another house, and DON'T look at any short sales or foreclosures! Some people just aren't meant to buy those because they're not temperamentally suited to what's required in the way of patience.
I'm definately not going to be looking at any other short sales. That's for sure. I'll leave the offer until I find another home. Given the inventory out there, that might not be until the spring.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2WA View Post
You should not contact the listing agent, but you are not legally prevented from doing so. They are ethically bound to refer you back to your agent, but often won't. It's a move you can make but might irritate the buyers agent. What you might do is call your buyers agent and leave a voice mail saying "I know your busy so I was thinking about calling the listing agent directly....." They will likely respond to that message pretty quickly :-)
After reading this thread and some youtube videos, I'm going to hold off on saying/doing anything about this house until next week. I'll be back in town a week from this Sunday so that will give my agent a nice break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate