U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 08:38 AM

2,193 posts, read 4,449,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Really? I'd love a big farmer's sink. What goof invented double sinks? I can't lay a single pan in them to soak! When I replace my very worn laminate countertops with granite (tiles) I am replacing the double sink too, with the biggest single one I can afford!
Omg I totally agree about the double sink. I can't wash my pans or cutting board properly. And then water gets all over the countertops and floor. Ugh soo annoying!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 AM

3,446 posts, read 7,656,988 times
I love the look of those farmer's sinks - so retro 30's. And much easier to clean pots and pans in. I hve a double sink and hate it - it is useless.

I also hate that concrete look - yuck - too "industrial" for me.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:42 AM

182 posts, read 480,614 times
It's about the durability of granite. I think any other material is just a trend and granite is going to be around and in demand for a LONG time.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM

353 posts, read 679,681 times
I am a buyer and I COOK. If I see another kitchen with black granite, stainless appliances and cherry cabinets..... It's like everyone decided in the last 10 years that this EXACT combination was the only way to go! When you see this same kitchen over and over, over many months in different neighborhoods, it becomes undesirable. Also a lot of sellers now are re-doing kitchens in order to sell in this market, and they are finding the cheapest black granite, stainless apps and cherry cabs they can find, which look even worse b/c of the bad quality.

As a buyer I love to walk into un-renovated homes. Give me an original 1954 Cape Cod, please! I much prefer that people just leave their old 1970s or 1950s kitchens in there and let me remodel the kitchen to my tastes later.

Here's my dream kitchen:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_R8g0bl422c...11060k_1_x.jpg

Old 04-08-2009, 01:37 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,233,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
I am a buyer and I COOK. If I see another kitchen with black granite, stainless appliances and cherry cabinets..... It's like everyone decided in the last 10 years that this EXACT combination was the only way to go! When you see this same kitchen over and over, over many months in different neighborhoods, it becomes undesirable. Also a lot of sellers now are re-doing kitchens in order to sell in this market, and they are finding the cheapest black granite, stainless apps and cherry cabs they can find, which look even worse b/c of the bad quality.

As a buyer I love to walk into un-renovated homes. Give me an original 1954 Cape Cod, please! I much prefer that people just leave their old 1970s or 1950s kitchens in there and let me remodel the kitchen to my tastes later.

Here's my dream kitchen:

Ewww.. White cabinets. Those are so yesterday!!!! hahaha..

Old 04-08-2009, 01:39 PM

353 posts, read 679,681 times
LOL!!!!!!!! I know, I know. I am a sucker for those white cabinets, even though it will suck to clean them.....

Old 04-08-2009, 02:13 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,934,063 times
Quote:
LOL!!!!!!!! I know, I know. I am a sucker for those white cabinets, even though it will suck to clean them.....
Our kitchen has white cabinets and I really like them!!! Not a problem to keep clean - quick wipe down and they look great - at least I can see the dirt on them and deal with it!!!!!

I've never been a fan of cherry/hickory/oak cabinets.

I also was put off by seeing cherry/granite/stainless/black - in every other house we viewed.

At the end of the day, we all go for what we like - I personally prefer something like Saltzman's "dream kitchen" as opposed to what I always think of as The McKitchen And there's nothing worse than heavy dark wood, stainless steel/black in a smaller kitchen.

Another thing I don't like is this fad for stuffing fake greenery on top of the cabinets. Dust traps.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,449,198 times
Quote:

Here's my dream kitchen:

I like the white cabinets also, but I also like the cherry too. I don't care for stainless steel either. You always see fingerprints on that stuff!

I wish more homes just left the dated kitchens also so I could just remodel it as well. It's tough to find a house though that's not been upgraded also.

It's like uhhh no thanks, I don't want to pay an extra 10, 20 grand for granite countertops...Especailly when I don't care for it!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 PM

957 posts, read 861,561 times
Quote:
As a buyer I love to walk into un-renovated homes. ... I much prefer that people just leave their old 1970s or 1950s kitchens in there and let me remodel the kitchen to my tastes later.
I second that!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:14 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,745,021 times
I should have looked for houses where you guys looked-every house I looked at where I live 'including the one I bought' LOL, had a kitchen that looked like it needed a wrecking ball! When we thought we'd be able to move to NC and looked at new homes there, I was in love with the gorgeous kitchens (we ended up staying in CT).

I'd of rather had the kitchen done before I moved in-because now that I'm in, it's not going to get done, lets be real : ) It's ok, I did clean it up real good and got new stainless appliances (which I am thrilled with) and brushed stainless knobs-and hopefully will get around to doing the gross countertop soon (really, I won't lol) and the undone backsplash.

But really, as a recent buyer, a 'done' kitchen is a big selling point for me. I'm not planning to move from here, but if I did, I'd go ahead and do the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or