Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM

186 posts, read 794,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Does anyone know if you can paint oak cabinets white? We need to update our kitchen and it has cabinets from the 80's and I thought about painting them white. We live in a log home with log walls, so not sure how it will look.

Hi there.......I hired a contractor for some house repairs,and he recommended I paint my ugly 80's yellow oak cupboards rather than investing in new ones as mine are well made & solid. It turned out very well and is holding up like a champ. It's a bit time-consuming and took me about 3 weeks working a few hours on it daily, but if you have help and work diligently, it shouldn't take as long. This is what I did:

Made a rough drawing of cupboards and which doors/drawers fit where.

Removed doors and all hardware and marked doors to fit location in drawing. This is important so you don't waste time later trying to figure out what goes where in reassembly.

Scrubbed cabinets thoroughly with degreaser. This step is crucial to success.

Lightly sanded rough spots. I didn't bother to completely sand down to raw finish. Wiped down several times with tack cloth and brushed all corners free of dust. This step will predict how smooth the final project will be.

Applied 2 coats of stainblocker, (KILZ or similar product), applying smoothly and allow overnight drying time between coats. It won't look pretty at this point, but you should be achieving coverage on the 2nd coat. Apply a 3rd coat if raw spots show through. It's only paint after all!

Applied 2 coats of primer with "key" to ensure adhesion of paint topcoats. Be sure all corners are smooth and free of blobs of primer. Use light coats and paint smoothly with the grain. Overnight drying time between coats.

Applied 3-4 coats of "Kitchen Rescue" in white. Available at Home Depot, and formulated for kitchen cabinets. Again, apply smoothly & evenly and check for "corner blobs" and drips.....can be removed with single-edge razor and touched up. Overnight drying time between coats.

Replaced all hardware with new and returned doors & drawers according to drawing made earlier.

My cupboards are solid wood doors with sturdy pressed something-or-other interiors, but I didn't bother painting the inside and they look very good. Of course, you can carry on and paint interiors as well, but will have to put down shelf liner to avoid scratches from plates/glasses, etc.

I also had the center panels removed from 3 doors and replaced with patterned glass at the cost of about $80. Looks like a new kitchen and I can touch up the rare ding with leftover paint. Sorry I don't have a photo to show you. Of course you could use paint colors to suit your cabin, but I believe "Kitchen Rescue" is available in only a couple shades of white....perhaps could be tinted, or you can experiment with dry-rubbing color in or doing a color wash or stain.

Hope you'll enoy the project and post before & after pics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 01:08 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,006 times
I was talking with a kitchen designer the other day that advised me not to get granite. She said there is a new countertop material that is touted as "anti-bacterial" and steadily growing in popularity and will be tomorrows granite. I forgot the name...anyone know what I'm talking about?

Old 04-02-2009, 02:06 PM

133 posts, read 750,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
I was talking with a kitchen designer the other day that advised me not to get granite. She said there is a new countertop material that is touted as "anti-bacterial" and steadily growing in popularity and will be tomorrows granite. I forgot the name...anyone know what I'm talking about?
She probably means Quartz. I think I've seen names like Silestone. It's been out for while but I remember it being the granite replacement specifically because of its lack of pores that would normally allow bacterial growth.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 AM

21 posts, read 98,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowGuy View Post
Epoxy is a plastic.

Does granite need to be sealed annually?
Yes, and no. I tell all my customers to seal annually just to be safe.

I am getting conflicting stories.
That's pretty normal when someone is trying to sell you something.

What solid surface countertop materials offer molded sinks?
Cultured Marble and Corian (and copies).

Old 04-06-2009, 07:00 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Funny, when push comes to shove... Granite is still winning. I do like te quartz but granite looks so nice.... Im not a fan of the concrete or even stainless.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Funny, when push comes to shove... Granite is still winning. I do like te quartz but granite looks so nice.... Im not a fan of the concrete or even stainless.
In SC Granite is still the most popular by about 300:1

I will add that quartz "seems" to be more popular with older folks. They like the more consistent pattern. I tend to believe this comes after many years of living with laminate countertops and solid surface.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Most Kitchen Designers I know "require" a fee to be paid to them from each sub the recommend. Think kickback. I know some very legitimate designers, but the majority of them around here are not.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:35 AM

960 posts, read 1,163,018 times
When I look at house listings, granite & stainless steel is a thumbs down for me. I'd be embarrassed to have guests over; I might as well show off a Hummer too. Farmer's sinks are even worse.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:37 AM

960 posts, read 1,163,018 times
Quote:
I was talking with a kitchen designer the other day that advised me not to get granite. She said there is a new countertop material that is touted as "anti-bacterial" and steadily growing in popularity and will be tomorrows granite.
If it'll be tomorrow's granite, skip it too, I say.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:03 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
When I look at house listings, granite & stainless steel is a thumbs down for me. I'd be embarrassed to have guests over; I might as well show off a Hummer too. Farmer's sinks are even worse.
Really? I'd love a big farmer's sink. What goof invented double sinks? I can't lay a single pan in them to soak! When I replace my very worn laminate countertops with granite (tiles) I am replacing the double sink too, with the biggest single one I can afford!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate